MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Spotting Scopes; Talk to Me

I think this advice applies to all optics purchases. If you're relatively serious about western hunting (which it sounds like you are),
you want to end up with alpha glass in the end. And it's absolutely doable on the blue collar budget.

Spotters are one of the few gear items that I nailed. I bought a used $200 bushnell off the forums and used it for 9 years.
Until I could afford a Swaro. I picked up a new in box (used) ATS HD. I can still sell the bushnell for $200 - $250. I can sell the
Swaro for exactly what I paid for it, or slightly more with good listing timing.

I didn't waste a single penny in the upgrade process. A lot of re-sale value is completely lost in the $500 - $900 price range, with optics.
Just my 2 cents, there's still many guys out there that don't even own a spotter and do fine.

Totally agree with you some sage advise here. High quality brand names almost always have a great resale market. Just thinking a bit out loud. I've basically always buy brand name but land on send or third place from top of the line. More of a value investor. But now with spotting scopes and knowing there could be serious time behind the lens vs other optics there may be good reason to buy top of the line #1 spot. Can't ever say I've spent hours behind a rifle scope or even binos. Yea I want them clear and effective in low light but I've always found spotting scopes hard to spend time behind. Most likely because because eye relief and glass quality wasn't really that great.

I'm psyched to be back hunting again and really looking forward to October in Colorado. All that said I know most of my glassing time will be at the rifle range and it won't be dawn or dusk, lol. I remember shooting Western Division matches with a match grade M14 and reading vapor trails with a spotting scope from the 1000 yard line. Use to think that was some pretty trick stuff. Remember the rifle well not the spotting scope. Guess the moral of the message is it's the "Indian not the Arrow". Funny thing is as I get older I seem to want better Arrows!

Meopta Meostar has a magnesium body impressive. My concern might be service. Looked like Europe or maybe Canada are the choices. Either could be lengthy.
Meopta USA is located in Florida and has a service center there. I sent a scope in that had some minor problems out of the box. I sent it in and had it back in a couple weeks IIRC.

You can't go wrong with a few of the suggestions, but depending on your price range PM me and let's see what is best.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back