Spotting Scopes; Talk to Me

rmagnus

Okay need some expert guidance on spotting scopes. You guys steered me right on a rifle scope, bought the VX-5 and am very happy with it. Haven’t really used spotting scopes other than at the range. Previously most of my hunting was archery, deer, pig, moose, & caribou, only used binos.

I’m looking at the Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide HD 20-60X85 angled scope and the GR 12-40X60 HD. I like the magnification of the SX-4 don’t like the weight. GR is the compact, like the weight concerned about 40 power. Budget is around $1K +/-.

Have a CO Elk hunt 2nd season this year (Oct 24) and plan to antelope hunt next year AZ or NM. Will also use scope on the rifle range. Had a 15-40X and always wished for more magnification but its an very old scope.

Leaning towards Leupold but am open to other suggestions.

For those of you using spotting scopes what’s your advise.

If you're concerned about weight, the SX-4 HD 15-45x65 might be the ticket. I've read a lot of good reviews on it. Meopta also makes a really nice spotter. I have the Meopro 80 HD. Very good glass and is around your budget, that is if you contact schmalts.

Are you in the Leupold's VIP program? Your service should grant you access.

I have the SX-4 15x45x65 angled and love it. Hope that helps.

Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 Angled
Goes for $699 and is incredible glass, and Vortex warranty is second to none

I can spot livestock on a farm roughly 2 miles away and count every cow (aka you’ll be able to see an elk and know it’s an elk at great distance)

If your budget is $1,000 this spotter gives you some freedom for accessories or other necessities for the hunt. Good luck to ya

I second the meopta 80mm. Gets you more magnification that’s actually useable, but might be heavy for your taste. I’ve had the golden ring 12-40 and now own the s2 meopta spotter. (82mm). I will happily pack that tank around over the golden ring any day.

Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 Angled
Goes for $699 and is incredible glass, and Vortex warranty is second to none
Spend the extra and get the Razor. Its definitely a solid step above the Viper. For a rifle scope, the viper glass is perfect. For a spotter where you are actually using the glass to really finely pick out what you are looking at, you want the best you can afford. The Razor glass I'll put right along side any competitor in a Pepsi challenge.

Have one. Not that great. Wish I would have waited. mtmuley
I have the same scope for work and I am not a fan... A friend has the 85 Razor that I’ve used a lot. Better, but I’m still not impressed with the glass and neither is he.

The Athlon Ares is very well regarded. If I were in the market for a new scope in the <$1,000 range I'd be leaning in that direction. I run a Kowa 664 right now that I picked up used for well within your budget and I am very happy with it.

I haven't spent time behind either of those scopes so I am of no use there. I would recommend more research but not because those are poor scopes. I personally will only spend money on a scope that has a removable eyepiece and has multiple available. Fixed power wide angle lenses have excellent eye relief and are optimized for the power since it is fixed. Check birding forums, they are nuts on spotters and many prefer a fixed power. Generally speaking, the companies that produce serious optics sell their scope bodies and eyepieces seperate so the user can pick their preference.
My advice? Buy a high quality body and then get a fixed power eyepiece since they are significantly cheaper. Then you can save and buy the adjustable zoom later if you want.
Brands to consider with seperate eyepiece:
zeiss, Swarovski, kowa, pentax I'm sure there are others as well.
Can't touch Swaro even used at 1000.
Might be able to find a zeiss used, I prefer zeiss for spotters.
Kowa has many lines of scopes and a few are in your price range. Dealers are hard to find so looking through one before purchase is difficult. I have yet to look through one personally, but they are still at the top of my list for my next spotter if I buy new.
Pentax might be worth a look, they use standard astronomical eyepieces so you can get all kinds of eyepieces for them. Haven't ever found one of these to look through either, but reviews are generally good.

Lots of good advise here. I know people have preferences towards certain brands. I do as well. If Leupold has what I need I usually go that direction. That said I own Vortex and Bushnel scopes.

Guess if 40 power magnification is enough I’d consider the compact scope and save weight. I just think if you’re gonna hump a spotting scope it might as well be a 60 power and big glass 80-85mm. Thinking it is nice to have the magnification. The scope will see more action at the rifle range than in the field hunting.

Ok its been suggested to continue researching spotters and I’ve done that In the Leupold line. Next I’ll be looking into their manufacturers. Subscribing to the “Buy Once Cry Once” I’ve decided if I go with Leupold I’ll buy the Santiam SX-5 HD 27-55x80mm. This does a couple things for me, overall length is shorter, weight is lighter, magnification is more in the sweet spot and real world price isn’t that much more than my initial budget.

As suggested I need to look into removable eye piece and fixed power options. You guys have been very helpful and expanded features I didn’t originally consider. For that I thank you.

I've seen Kowa 550 Special Editions for around 1300. They are supposed to be THE compact scope. If I had the cash I'd buy a Meopta Meostar

I'm curious about the Athlon Cronus and I see the price has come down.

I've seen Kowa 550 Special Editions for around 1300. They are supposed to be THE compact scope. If I had the cash I'd buy a Meopta Meostar

I'm curious about the Athlon Cronus and I see the price has come down.
Meopta Meostar has a magnesium body impressive. My concern might be service. Looked like Europe or maybe Canada are the choices. Either could be lengthy.

I think this advice applies to all optics purchases. If you're relatively serious about western hunting (which it sounds like you are),
you want to end up with alpha glass in the end. And it's absolutely doable on the blue collar budget.

Spotters are one of the few gear items that I nailed. I bought a used $200 bushnell off the forums and used it for 9 years.
Until I could afford a Swaro. I picked up a new in box (used) ATS HD. I can still sell the bushnell for $200 - $250. I can sell the
Swaro for exactly what I paid for it, or slightly more with good listing timing.

I didn't waste a single penny in the upgrade process. A lot of re-sale value is completely lost in the $500 - $900 price range, with optics.
Just my 2 cents, there's still many guys out there that don't even own a spotter and do fine.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back