Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Leupold Chinese spotters????

Here’s a new company with manufacturing in Japan. Sells direct to consumer and trims price substantially. I want to get a hold of that 2.5-15 HD MOA scope.

Those look pretty damn good. Turrets are a bit high, but everything else looks kosher. I checked out the one you mentioned, but its only available in ffp.... no go for me. I'll be following this company.
I'm curious about the "assembled in Japan" , and where the components are physically made

I'm not sure I understand the reference..but if you think $130 Chinese spotter is equivalent to leupold or any other name brand well...
Was with Midway discounts last year. Now it’s $200 + s/h, tax. I ain’t equating a Porsche to a Kia and saying same/same because four wheels. I am stating, unequivocally, that this has value to me because cost met performance for my needs.

This has been talked about a few times before. It is very complex and unless you are in the optics business on a brand or marketing level most people have very little clue what is going on and who makes what and many times people make baseless claims. I was involved with a couple of brands and dealt with ordering from the the actual OEM manufactures. Trust me, it is more complex that you would think. Even Japan and German optics manufactures order glass elements from China on certain level of their optics. Kowa has a product line going from all China to top level Japanese with a mix in between. Just because a scope says made in Japan on it do not assume the glass was made there. Just because a spotting scope from Cabela's looks like one Athlon sells definitely don't think Athlon made it for Cabela's, that one is laughable. Athlon owns as many optics factories as Cabela's... none. And that goes for a lot of other brands. Meopta is one of the few that is actually a manufacture and OEM builds for a number of brands but still offers it's own brand. Meopta could be a bigger player in the brand name world but they choose to tread lightly with marketing as they do not want to step on toes of other brands who in turn are sometime their customers in the OEM world. It's like buying a Simplicity lawn mower but never heard of Briggs and Stratton but yet both are owned buy the same entity. I find it interesting when customers never even heard of Meopta. If you see any optic with a made in Czech Republic label it is a pretty easy guess who made it. Bottom line is this, is you want good glass for little money you will get an all China optic and there are a LOT of them that are pretty nice for the money if you weed through the marketing BS and buy an optic instead of millions of dollars of marketing and no fault warranties. If you want a step up from that you will get something assembled in another country that is either a mix of Chinese glass and another country of parts and assembly. Then the list keeps going on and on until you get into an item that is with glass and assembly of the same source. When you get to that level it will be at least 3X the price. And yes it is true there are a lot of branded optics that are identical on an optics scale but just have a different rubber armor, eye cup,tube, turret, and logo on it. It is very complex. That being said, there is something also to be said about buying from a company that employs as many people as needed to be able to at least say the product is built in the USA on most of the items they market.

As someone who has done business with chinese manf the best thing to do is have someone from the company that the item is being made for there at the factory

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back