Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX 3i

MTbowhunter84

I’m looking at the above specific scope. My question is that I’m wondering if the CDS is the way to go? I’m looking at both in the 30mm tube due to the rings and bases I already have. I’m not looking at shoot much past 300 yard as most of my hunting is archery.

I’m looking at the above specific scope. My question is that I’m wondering if the CDS is the way to go? I’m looking at both in the 30mm tube due to the rings and bases I already have. I’m not looking at shoot much past 300 yard as most of my hunting is archery.

I have this scope, the 30mm version, on my Tikka t3x 7mag. I bought it in part because of the CDS system and was really hyped about it...but I never even sent the info in to Leupold to have the dial made. I thought I would make the dial using the environmental conditions of my average hunt...but turns out there is a lot of variation in the conditions that I hunt in...so that average dial could be off by a bit. I ended up just making a dope chart for each hunt, since I could customize the chart to the conditions of each. So I don't know...it is a cool idea, and using the average condition data to make one custom dial is probably doable, but for someone like me I just use dope charts. If I miss a shot I don't want to be wondering whether the conditions varied enough from the CDS dial to make a difference.

That being said, I love everything about this scope.

OP, have this same power in windplex/CDS/30mm/parallax adj. on a 257 Wby mag...and like it.

I suggest having the CDS option with a 14x ceiling.

Great scope, I have the 3i 4-14x50. The CDS is great. I ended up getting different dials from another company because I had my gun go thru a load development and we changed ammo. But Leupold is awesome. The originator CDS dials were just fine.

I have several of the CDS scopes and love them. I'm sure there are better ones to shoot out too 1000 yards and beyond but from 400 yards and in they have worked very well for me. I have shot for 3 elk from 100 yards to a maximum of 450 yards with them.

What caliber will this be on? Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money for 6" - 12" of drop at 300 yards.

For a .270 to 300 yards I wouldn't bother with CDS or BDC reticle. Zero for 250ish yards and hold dead on. Check out shooterscalculator.com for ballistics.

If 300 is your hard limit on range you definitely don’t need a CDS. I have the 1in version of this scope with the CDS and it took my yardage limit out to 400. But that is my limit on where I practice. If I had a 500 yard range I am confident I could get comfortable shooting at game that far. It’s a good scope. Not top of the line but a good, clear scope. Leupold has been a good brand for me altogether and I own 4 of them.

I say get it, I have a 4.5-14x50. If you want to shoot 300 yards great, practice shooting at 500-600 more. I dont use the CDS I have a custom dial with better MOA marks. Make sure you get the zero stop on your CDS. You get just a little less than 1 revolution which is about 500-700 yards with most rifles. Im paring mine with a Sig BDX range finder this year!

I say get it, I have a 4.5-14x50. If you want to shoot 300 yards great, practice shooting at 500-600 more. I dont use the CDS I have a custom dial with better MOA marks. Make sure you get the zero stop on your CDS. You get just a little less than 1 revolution which is about 500-700 yards with most rifles. Im paring mine with a Sig BDX range finder this year!
Curious how your custom MOA dial is better than the factory one?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back