Lets talk 300WSM bullets

Rooster52

Going to be loading some 300wsm ammo. Thinking of elk/deer combo hunt.

Accubond or Partition 150,165, or 180 grain

IMR4350,4831, RL22

I have two 300wsm's in the closet, one loves 168 accubonds with 64gr of RL17. The other prefers 180 accubonds with 64gr of hybrid 100. Every gun is different, takes lots of patience and lots of trips to the range to dial things in!

I helped a friend work up a load with 200-grain Partitions and IMR7828. It was one grain under max from the Nosler data. It was around 2850 fps and he said that it shot sub-moa at 100 and real well to 800 on the range. That big bullet really takes advantage of the potential of the 300wsm.

Any reason you aren't considering going all copper?? I've made the switch and couldn't be more pleased.

I prefer the heavier bullet for elk....and use it for everything!

180 gr Accubond for everything. When in doubt go with the heavier bullet. If yours likes the 200s, I'd roll with those.

Mine shoots 180 grain Accubonds lights out. I just keep it simple and use the same bullet for everything.

A buddy just finished working up a load for mine with the 180 Accubonds and 64.1 gr of IMR 4350, back 0.020 off the lands I think. It will shoot MOA, still tuning on length, but it is very consistent with these. It will shoot 0.5 MOA with factory Federal Fusion 165s, but wouldn't get better than a 3 inch group at 100 yds with Partitions. For some reason, it hated them. Now I am waiting and hoping the Accubonds do what they are supposed to on the other end.

Cabelas sells Nosler Accubond trial packs for around $7 for 12 bullets.I am going to buy some different weight to see how they shoot.

Last edited:
I have been using 168 tsx's since 2004. Elk, bear, whitetail, muley's, pronghorn. I would switch to the tipped but why fix what ain't broke you know.

Does anyone have any leads on 300 wsm brass. I know there is some available on gun broker but would rather have remington, winchester or federal brass and not nickel.

Used to run Barnes TTSX 180gr for everything from rabbits to buffalo. Now i just use Berger 190gr VLD Hunting bullets out of my .300wsm, seated to mag length and i see no reason to change. Have used them for a lot of large framed deer at varying ranges and have full confidence in them.

Does anyone have any leads on 300 wsm brass. I know there is some available on gun broker but would rather have remington, winchester or federal brass and not nickel.

Do what I am going to do. Buy factory loaded ammo ,shoot it and save the brass.

I have seen some at gun shows but running $1 each piece for once fired.

Back