Let's see some Mule Bucks

I think i know where I'd be tomorrow if that was my grandma's house...... I might be crucified but I got zero reserves on town bucks.... no I haven't taken one yet either. If it's a legit scenario, game over.
Agreed! All my brothers best whitetails came from a 25 acre property in city limits. If it’s legal go for it.

There are 5 bucks in this pic up in the green patch of scrub at 12,500 feet in CO back in 2017. Watched these 5 for two days before making a move and my partner took the one you can barely see.... laying back in the far right of the green... in the dark... I watched through the binos as he made a stalk and watched him shoot about three hours after this pic was taken. Was a fun 6 days in the high country.

IMG_0193.JPG
In case you couldn't see him...

InkedIMG_0195_LI.jpg

A pic of same buck the day before.

IMG_0166.JPG
After they decided to head down into the drainage for the day a few of the smaller bucks.

IMG_0203.JPG

and on the ground.
IMG_0247 (9).JPG

It’s a small town and those 2 are the resident bucks if one went missing neighbors would start asking questions and all eyes would be on me 😂

I love it when people think they own deer like they are their pets. F' them and arrow one of those deer if its in season and you have a tag. Nothing worse than mature bucks that dont fear humans.

Got my biggest buck this year in a spot I discovered shed hunting a couple years back. You can’t really glass it due to the private land around but you can walk in (no driving). This general unit is 1 week long like many of the general seasons in eastern and central wy. I went 2 days. Sunday I put on 15 miles +or-, with a lot of up and down, lots of thick buck brush and deep ravines. The wind was very oddly from the east that day and only around 10-15 mph. I saw a few deer and picked up several sheds. Wednesday I went back, doing the same route basically since the public dictates where you get to walk. Today it was the usual 60 mph out of the west southwest. Did not see half as many deer as Sunday, and you had to walk on top of them to jump them up. Pretty uneventful until the end of the day and im walking into the sun and wind through tiny ravines full of buck brush, and a wide heavy framed buck bounds out of a gully in front of me. 3 seconds and he’s out of sight. I race over to the shoulder of the hill where he disappeared and look down as I shoulder my rifle. He’s 80 yards below bouncing away and turns broadside for a very convenient “stop and look back”. Disregarding his rack I settle the crosshairs on his chest (not exactly rock steady since I just ran and it’s blowing 60 mph) and squeeze, squeeze, pull. Damn! I only clicked the safety half off! Click it off all the way and repeat. The buck is miraculously still there and my bullet hits perfect. He runs out of sight and I walk down the hill calmly and he’s piled up less than 30 yards from where I hit him. I could only see his right side sticking up as he was twisted up in a pile. I sat and soaked it in, knowing that this buck was by far the biggest of my hunting career. So grateful to have this guy. 187 7/8. 10DE9C7C-09B4-4E91-84B2-AA0DB45B04A9.jpeg76A43C35-9F56-444D-BE75-A25DB77F2BB4.jpegF26B5322-E9F6-4528-A436-38D38E065B66.jpegA1E29EDD-7BAC-4874-B6C8-3ABA4DEB96A2.jpeg

Timmy. You are right. In a way it is sad. A young buck like this that spends most of the fall on the alfalfa fields has almost zero chance to survive another year. What I hate is the internal ranch politics involved with a buck like this.

Where I live we have four types of bucks.
Bucks like this that from mid Sept to when they move winter range almost never leave the field.
Buck that hit the fields only at night and are back in the hills well before the sun is lighting the eastern sky.
Bucks that only come down out of the hills during the rut.
Bucks that never leave the hills even to rut.
What is truly sad is that with the current doe slaughter on public land the number of bucks that never hit the fields is becoming less and less and that we in Montana have a season that allows landowners to capitalize on the bucks that are never on the fields during daylight hours except for the rut. Enough of my soapbox on a truly amazing thread.

What is not sad is the buck was shot by a 70+ hunter from Helena with fairly advanced parkinson's disease. This could very well be his last buck.

Back