Yeti GOBOX Collection

Let's pick me out a new knife.

TimeOnTarget

I'm looking for another all around big game knife.

Right now my go to knife is a Spyderco Bill Moran. It's a great knife and I have zero complaints. I like the vg10 steel. gets shavin' sharp and holds an edge pretty well.

Right now im looking at the following 2 knifes.

Spyderco Phil Wilson South Fork
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=763

Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter
http://www.benchmade.com/products/162

Does anyone favor one of these steels or the other? s30v of the benchmade vs the harder s90v steel of the spyderco?

I know the harder steel will be more difficult to sharpen but will/should hold an edge longer.

Through some others at me to if you got em....

My EDC is a Yojimbo 2 w/ CPM-S90V....keeps an edge and easy to touch up.

That Wilson SF is sweet...

Call me old fashion, but I've had a Buck 110 for almost 30 yrs now, and it's still razor sharp and going strong.

Of those two, I like the shape of the Benchmade better. Any of the sintered steels are great! I have a Buck 110 made by them for Cabelas with the S30V. That thing gets scary sharp and really holds an edge.

Gunner46, I am with you I have had a 110 for about the same amount of time. I carry a small wet stone with me just in case I need to hit an edge.

My every day use "utility" knife is a benchmade with S30V Steel. The edge tunes up nicely and holds as well as I'd ask a knife that cuts primarily cardboard and tape... At that sort of price, I'd take a look at Skyblade knives. My hunting knife is a Skyblade Bison 4. They are made in Belgrade, MT. My Dad is on his 3rd Skyblade. One skinning knife was good enough that a guide in BC said it was the best caping and skinning knife he had ever used.

Here's their website.

http://www.skybladeknives.com/Hunting_Knives.htm

I'm not 100% sure steel mine has, he uses a few. It takes me an hour to an hour and a half to sharpen each time with a Lansky diamond stone set, but I typically only have to sharpen it once a year. I don't carry a stone in the field, on deer or antelope hunts, I don't even bother to carry a backup knife. I have been using this knife for 10 years and it is flat out awesome.

In 2009 I dressed, skinned and quartered a Shiras Moose; dressed, halved and skinned a Bull Elk, dressed and skinned an Antelope and a Mule Deer in that order. About half way through the Mule Deer the knife started to lose it's edge. I've been really impressed with my Skyblade, and if I ever have the need for another hunting knife, I will get another Skyblade. Not an inexpensive knife, but the best hunting knife I've ever owned and one that I expect to last me an additional 30+years...

My every day use "utility" knife is a benchmade with S30V Steel. The edge tunes up nicely and holds as well as I'd ask a knife that cuts primarily cardboard and tape... At that sort of price, I'd take a look at Skyblade knives. My hunting knife is a Skyblade Bison 4. They are made in Belgrade, MT. My Dad is on his 3rd Skyblade. One skinning knife was good enough that a guide in BC said it was the best caping and skinning knife he had ever used.

Here's their website.

http://www.skybladeknives.com/Hunting_Knives.htm

I'm not 100% sure steel mine has, he uses a few. It takes me an hour to an hour and a half to sharpen each time with a Lansky diamond stone set, but I typically only have to sharpen it once a year. I don't carry a stone in the field, on deer or antelope hunts, I don't even bother to carry a backup knife. I have been using this knife for 10 years and it is flat out awesome.

In 2009 I dressed, skinned and quartered a Shiras Moose; dressed, halved and skinned a Bull Elk, dressed and skinned an Antelope and a Mule Deer in that order. About half way through the Mule Deer the knife started to lose it's edge. I've been really impressed with my Skyblade, and if I ever have the need for another hunting knife, I will get another Skyblade. Not an inexpensive knife, but the best hunting knife I've ever owned and one that I expect to last me an additional 30+years...

Thanks, I will look into them. Gorgeous looking knives!

Call me old fashion, but I've had a Buck 110 for almost 30 yrs now, and it's still razor sharp and going strong.
I also have this knife. It was used when I got it 30 plus years ago. The thing that makes it so nice every time I use it is that I took it from the idiot who thought he could scare me away from his then ex-girlfriend who has now been my wife for over 30 years.
That was the last time I gave anybody a good a** whippin. :D

I also have this knife. It was used when I got it 30 plus years ago. The thing that makes it so nice every time I use it is that I took it from the idiot who thought he could scare me away from his then ex-girlfriend who has now been my wife for over 30 years.
That was the last time I gave anybody a good a** whippin. :D

Awesome.

was a great knife but they have changed the steel they use and since about 2000 they arent what they used to be. now you can ebay a vintage one and youll be good but they are just not the same good thing i got on board as a kid love mine

I know they were being made in china for a while. When I was looking for a pocket knife this caused me
not to buy a buck knife. I'm sure they caught a lot of flak for it since they are now made in the USA again.

I cut up and butcher a lot of animals each year in the field. Nothing in my experience comes close to what the havalon baracuta can do. I have a box of knives that range from well known brands to custom jobs worth a lot of money and whenever i go bush the havalon is always in the pack. Apart from that, just your standard butcher knives, boning and/or skinning, will work better then 99.9% of so called hunting knives. In an abattoir i have never seen a hunting knife used, but i know a lot of guys who use their butchers knives in the field.

Well guys I stopped into a small gun shop that I frequent yesterday and low and behold he had become a benchmade dealer. Also happened to have a 162 bushcrafter in the case. Holy smokes what a knife! Its built about like an Abrams. His price was also about 20 bucks less than id found it anywhere else.

Then at the register he gave me another %20 off as a military discount.

My 1st Benchmade is now home.

Back