Let’s make a deal…?

Flatbrimmer

This is tricky to ask for, but I thought I would try it anyways… my oldest son turns nine in about two months. Fall of 2024 he will be old enough to shoot his first deer with the apprentice program, if they don’t change the age by then. I know that it means a lot to him when the time comes but as of right now he does not enjoy the patience of hunting without much seeing… I try to encourage him and tell him it’s about hard work and mental toughness, and if he can just bear with me and keep a positive outlook, we can find success together! Well, it wasn’t THAT long ago that I remember fishing wasn’t much fun without catching, myself…

My question is if anybody in Montana, particularly nearby in the Gallatin Valley would be willing to strike a deal with me. I will work for you for a year, making time whenever possible and knocking out any chores throughout this period. Be it digging holes or stacking hay, fixing fences, shoveling turds, helping with interior trim or your deck or anything you can come up with. If you need big rocks turned into little rocks, I will do that for a whole year; every weekend if you really have that much work… my only request is that the FOLLOWING year, my oldest son will have a little spot to get that first deer, if he can sit patiently enough. Trust me when I say I have every intention of showing him the importance of being able to utilize and appreciate all of our public lands. I know that after he sees success can happen, he’d be more intrigued with every step on uncertain public ground thereafter… I figured the worst that can happen is we still end up the old fashioned way on some public mountain trying to escape the orange…
Some of you may see this and laugh, some may be helpful, but either way I love my boy and i want to see him succeed and I’ll stick my neck out & look like a fool for him.
And I’ll bust my ass for anyone that can help me make this dream come true… thanks for reading.
Jeff.

Last edited:
Good on you for wanting to do that for him.

If you don’t find someone willing to take you up on that deal, may I suggest you spend the next couple years in taking him with you to scout and look for potential areas you can find success together on publicly accessible areas?

He might not experience a hunt with a kill as quickly as if you secure a sweet spot of private access, but I can guarantee you that he will learn to be a hunter and you will instill in him an understanding and appreciation of the process that will pay dividends in helping him understand that hunting is about more than just filling a tag.

I grew up hunting public land back east with low deer densities and relatively poor quality. It took a lot of effort before I killed any deer and several years before I killed a buck. However, I never had the idea that it wasn’t fun because my dad set my expectations early that killing a deer requires a lot of effort. I learned to appreciate the woods along the way, watching the squirrels, eating sardines, and thousands of other things that made time outdoors memorable. I have taken those lessons and built on all of them with my own continuing education to the point that I completely prefer hunting on public rather than depending on the fickleness of permission from private landowners.

Good on you for wanting to do that for him.

If you don’t find someone willing to take you up on that deal, may I suggest you spend the next couple years in taking him with you to scout and look for potential areas you can find success together on publicly accessible areas?

He might not experience a hunt with a kill as quickly as if you secure a sweet spot of private access, but I can guarantee you that he will learn to be a hunter and you will instill in him an understanding and appreciation of the process that will pay dividends in helping him understand that hunting is about more than just filling a tag.

I grew up hunting public land back east with low deer densities and relatively poor quality. It took a lot of effort before I killed any deer and several years before I killed a buck. However, I never had the idea that it wasn’t fun because my dad set my expectations early that killing a deer requires a lot of effort. I learned to appreciate the woods along the way, watching the squirrels, eating sardines, and thousands of other things that made time outdoors memorable. I have taken those lessons and built on all of them with my own continuing education to the point that I completely prefer hunting on public rather than depending on the fickleness of permission from private landowners.
I understand and I agree completely. My dads an outdoorsman for sure but I’d still say I’m the only REAL “hunter” in all of my family.. I had to learn it the same way you described. Unfortunately I’ve drug him nearly a hundred miles in the last 3-4 years and he won’t even go with me anymore really… he hates it. But when I finally come home with something I see the light in his eyes… I know what you mean and I was torn on even posting, but like I said, I will be doing what you said regardless. As he grows of course, and perhaps may have to even on his own first hunt. Thanks Gerald.

Don’t let my reply discourage you. I meant it only as a potential option if you can’t find private property to hunt.

My own kids went through a phase where they didn’t enjoy how much work it took in relation to excitement of shot opportunities. I enjoyed big game hunting, they liked the amount of shooting that duck hunting and bird hunting provided. I figured that if that’s what they wanted to do then that’s what I wanted to do. Now, that they are old enough and strong enough to outhike me they enjoy big game hunting a lot more.

I like this. Something to consider might be going out with him to knock on some doors and build some relationships, especially if you're willing to work. My dad did that with me and it taught me a lot of lessons. I have also found that some landowners love seeing kids have success too, and they will let a kid hunt places that adults won't get permission to hunt. Good luck.

Hey I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about migratory bird hunting! I need more friends 🤣 I’ve only ever eaten duck once, on a cruise ship in the Bahamas and it was incredible. Maybe it’s something I could try to dive into and my youngest would likely reap the benefits of excitement there! It took me many many days of the year(s) to get where I am with my home range of MT big game, and if I took my oldest out to duck or goose hunt we’d probably be worse-off than I am now! 😂🤣🤣

I like this. Something to consider might be going out with him to knock on some doors and build some relationships, especially if you're willing to work. My dad did that with me and it taught me a lot of lessons. I have also found that some landowners love seeing kids have success too, and they will let a kid hunt places that adults won't get permission to hunt. Good luck.
I agree, I haven’t brought myself to knock on many. It aches my heart. The second persons door I ever knocked on, and the last, they told me how intrusive it was and I’m as bad as a Jehovah and I should write letters and leave them on the doorstep or something how dare I interrupt a man in his castle and the way he said it really resonated with me. Since then I have left a couple notes on doorsteps. Lol
one of them was with like 5 raw garnets at a BMA where I got a buck, and I simply said thank you for allowing the public access. You gave me something and I want to give you something back, from my family. Have them cut and put in earrings, or just enjoy them in their natural state on the mantle… something to that effect..

Everybody I’ve ever asked for permission with or without my kids, told me a FIRM no. writing letters has led to absolutely 0 responses and I ALWAYS include, “Even if you choose to decline, I very much look forward to your response” and I still get no response. I’d like to think that I’m bright and speak well, so I’m kind of at a wall where I don’t know how else to ask.. and damned sure don’t want to knock on doors. 😒 so here I am on HT

To be clear, the “in a pickle” landowner gave me permission after he said I was trespassing (on NF) and I told him to call the law because where I stand is good and I’m confident in that. When he saw the kids he said sorry for cursing and that I was good to go ahead.. that spot will no longer be an option.

I agree, I haven’t brought myself to knock on many. It aches my heart. The second persons door I ever knocked on, and the last, they told me how intrusive it was and I’m as bad as a Jehovah and I should write letters and leave them on the doorstep or something how dare I interrupt a man in his castle and the way he said it really resonated with me. Since then I have left a couple notes on doorsteps. Lol
one of them was with like 5 raw garnets at a BMA where I got a buck, and I simply said thank you for allowing the public access. You gave me something and I want to give you something back, from my family. Have them cut and put in earrings, or just enjoy them in their natural state on the mantle… something to that effect..

Everybody I’ve ever asked for permission with or without my kids, told me a FIRM no. writing letters has led to absolutely 0 responses and I ALWAYS include, “Even if you choose to decline, I very much look forward to your response” and I still get no response. I’d like to think that I’m bright and speak well, so I’m kind of at a wall where I don’t know how else to ask.. and damned sure don’t want to knock on doors. 😒 so here I am on HT
Those are some tough experiences. It's always uncomfortable for me to ask, but I haven't had any really bad experiences. I had a crappy door-to-door sales job one summer in college. Had a handful of bad experiences with that one.
Hoping things work out and you have a good experience with your son.

Hey I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about migratory bird hunting! I need more friends 🤣 I’ve only ever eaten duck once, on a cruise ship in the Bahamas and it was incredible. Maybe it’s something I could try to dive into and my youngest would likely reap the benefits of excitement there! It took me many many days of the year(s) to get where I am with my home range of MT big game, and if I took my oldest out to duck or goose hunt we’d probably be worse-off than I am now! 😂🤣🤣
No help on your original enquiry unfortunately but throwing out ideas. Can you maybe get him on some ruffed grouse hunts? Mild weather, often relatively easy walking, more shot opportunities, easy to hunt with kid-friendly weapons, super tasty! Just trying to think of something that might be more doable for you close to home. Bird hunting in general is fairly dismal down there IMO. But ruffies and blues you should have.

Good luck. Hope you figure out something that works for you.

No help on your original enquiry unfortunately but throwing out ideas. Can you maybe get him on some ruffed grouse hunts? Mild weather, often relatively easy walking, more shot opportunities, easy to hunt with kid-friendly weapons, super tasty! Just trying to think of something that might be more doable for you close to home. Bird hunting in general is fairly dismal down there IMO. But ruffies and blues you should have.

Good luck. Hope you figure out something that works for you.
Nailed it, my step son is a fair weather hunter you could say. Gets discouraged as it gets cold so we stick mostly to dove hunting and early geese. Which is usually a lot of action and instant gratification. It's supposed to be fun so I try to keep it that way. So if that's all he wants to hunt I'm good with that. He still deer hunts but I leave it up to him when he wants to go. Worst thing you can do is force something.

You know I never even thought to focus on smaller stuff like squirrel or rabbit or birds even for myself. I’ve always shot them while I’m searching for deer or elk, and never focused any time into them directly or money into like a little .22 with a scope just for the smaller critters. That is a really good idea and I know that’ll help him find enthusiasm in the chase. Thank you @Hunting Wife !

IMO this is setting your kid up for true disappointment in the long run. You are asking for a "chip" shot hunting a private place because if he does not see deer you are afraid he will hate hunting? You believe this one time hunting and seeing deer on a private property place will make some sort of difference? What happens on year 2, 3, 4....etc.etc...when you go back to public?

I agree with Gerald...take him out scouting and teach him hunting, making a deal like this IMO will not help. I might be 100% wrong too, I never claim to be the smartest person in the world, but it is my opinion...good luck though.

IMO this is setting your kid up for true disappointment in the long run. You are asking for a "chip" shot hunting a private place because if he does not see deer you are afraid he will hate hunting? You believe this one time hunting and seeing deer on a private property place will make some sort of difference? What happens on year 2, 3, 4....etc.etc...when you go back to public?

I agree with Gerald...take him out scouting and teach him hunting, making a deal like this IMO will not help. I might be 100% wrong too, I never claim to be the smartest person in the world, but it is my opinion...good luck though.
Well, it certainly looks like you didn’t read my post in it’s entirety then… as I said, I’ve drug him 100 miles and he’s even been there to see bull elk and plenty of deer and bear… It’s not about him seeing one deer this one time. You’ve completely missed the point. he’s probably been out hunting more than some folks ever get. If I hadn’t tried to drag him out scouting already then I wouldn’t have hit a wall, I’d still have options wouldnt I? I think the bird and varmint idea is a brilliant one.

I guess times have changed. Not to long ago taking a kid opened a lot of doors. All my kid are grown, and still hunt with me. But I learned to be careful when their young. Make it all about them and spending whatever time they want to. I almost turned my daughter off on elk hunting, but thankfully she hunts elk today as hard as any of the boys, and she is a better shot

Well, it certainly looks like you didn’t read my post in it’s entirety then… as I said, I’ve drug him 100 miles and he’s even been there to see bull elk and plenty of deer and bear… It’s not about him seeing one deer this one time. You’ve completely missed the point. he’s probably been out hunting more than some folks ever get. If I hadn’t tried to drag him out scouting already then I wouldn’t have hit a wall, I’d still have options wouldnt I? I think the bird and varmint idea is a brilliant one.
Ah, I see that in a reply you made you talk about scouting...etc.etc., but not in the original post :). My point still stands then when it comes to any year after that no matter what he's hunting. Again...good luck securing private spot.

If going after turkeys, you don’t “have to” be in position super early (when young, my son hated getting up super early) to have success. But I like being in the woods to witness it wake up from a night of slumber.

Get him out on a turkey hunt. They’re easy to hunt, spring weather is typically nice and the way they come in close to a call might be enough to get some excitement and discourage the hate.
Me too, unfortunately I don’t think I’m that great of a turkey hunter either. lol I’ve hunted them for 3 years and just got my first this last fall.. them are some tough birds.. lol

My oldest never really had much drive for hunting when the weather started getting colder. We started last year going rabbit hunting and this year she came goose hunting with me. Now she is really starting to get the drive to go and is hoping to join me in some coyote calling tournaments this year. She’s already planning on “her rifle” for deer hunting in two years. Now my youngest is a cold blooded killer. She came with me all the time this fall when I could take her. She’s only 3 but when she sees the guns come out she’s grabbing her boots and coat

My advise is get them out on the easy less stress hunts now like your rabbits and birds and see if that gets them hooked. Some kids just never get hooked. I grew up in a family that did zero hunting or shooting and somehow I still got hooked.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back