leftover late season cow tag for unit 31 in CO

Coloradohunter26

looking to fell the frezzer. I live in south east Colorado. My wife has never shot an elk, and thought this might be a good place to go. I was wondering if the book clifs area would be a good spot to find some cow elk. I just wondering if its worth the drive over their, We have 2 weeks off in last part of december.

I don't know if it's a good unit late season or not, but I did pick up a tag for myself and my youngest as it's one of the only units that had leftover cow tags in December that wasn't for private land only. I am more that willing to share any info I get since I will probably be there before you if you are going the last 2 weeks of the month.

I've done a bit of google earth and map searching and it looks like it would hold elk late.

Here is a cut and paste from the DOW publication on that area. It doesn't specifically mention the unit I believe you are talking about (thirty-one)

Feel free to PM me if you pick up a tag. I will be doing more research in the coming months.

"Good cow hunting opportunities. The best hunting is in remote areas, mostly at high elevations, where the elk tend to hold up in pockets of green timber and aspen. Check out the Texas Mountain area and Rat Hole Ridge. Hunting pressure will push some bulls into the large expanses of pinyon-juniper. If snow and hunting pressure are sufficient, some elk will move into the Little Hills and Dry Fork area of Piceance later in the seasons. Most of the GMU 32 elk move into GMU 22 to winter. Elk normally concentrate on the north side of Douglas Pass during the archery, muzzleloader, and early rifle seasons. Movement of large numbers of elk into GMU-30 generally does not occur until early November"

I live just out side that area and spend a bit of time roaming the book cliffs. It's extremely steep and cliffed out in a lot of places. You will find elk down in the J&P year round. Find a remote corner and glass till your eyes hurt then glass some more. I have sat on a hill side all day glassing and like magic the elk appear out of no where. Find feed, water, and remoteness, and there will be elk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back