Leah's Tom

pointingdogsrule

I've been posting about Leah for the past 8 years. "THE DAUGHTER I NEVER HAD". She is now married and a senior at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine. She got a B+ in radiology so no more 4.0. We've hunted antelope, deer, turkey and P-dogs. Fished Alaska and many other places. She never misses and opportunity to hunt or fish with me.
We went out Turkey hunting yesterday and after watching Toms strut for over 2 hours at 250 yards in the field I finally convinced the hens to come into the docoys. Four longbeards. Leah made a great shot for her first tom. 22.5 lbs, 1 inch spurs, and a double beard. 10.5 inches and 10 inches. I am so grateful and honored to have this young lady in my life. Man does time fly by fast.
3 youths and 3 birds this year! If you can believe this 5 birds taken off of the same field in the last month.

20200508_080115.jpg
Smiles all around when the tom flopped over.
20200508_074659.jpg

Last edited:
Exciting to hear turkeys and see them active that long at one time! Good job on the calling (and, not calling to soon and much) to get the hens moved over and good shooting by the "kid" that dropped the gobbler. Is nice to know hunting is still going on. Makes me hopeful for this autumn!

Exciting to hear turkeys and see them active that long at one time! Good job on the calling (and, not calling to soon and much) to get the hens moved over and good shooting by the "kid" that dropped the gobbler. Is nice to know hunting is still going on. Makes me hopeful for this autumn!
Exactly correct Lopehunter. After being burned by these birds early on in the season.... I quit calling. Success sky rocketed. 3 birds with no calling at all... just decoys. I let this last group go a long time before calling. I then resorted to some heavy and loud cutting. That got the dominate hens attention and that's all that she wrote.

WTG Leah! A day that will live in the memory bank for a long long time I'm sure.

Plan to come join you in practice after graduation perhaps?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back