Caribou Gear

Lawsuits and Hunting

John Meyer

I met Randy Newberg on an airplane heading back to Montana from Minneapolis. We sat next to each other and started shooting the shit about hunting. He told me about stalking antelope in a t-shirt and a foam hat. I was floored by the idea. I still am. I don’t think I told Randy that when I was a child my father helped be put fox urine on my boots for cover scent before we climbed into a large tree stand. A red fox showed up, circled the tree we were standing in, and went wild. I asked my father if I could shoot him. He told me no.

The Wildlife Commission for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks recently sent a letter to Senator Daines, Senator Tester and Representative Zinke asking them to work towards ending high-elevation domestic sheep grazing at the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station in southwest Montana. The Sheep Station manages approximately 16,000 acres of land above 7,000 feet that is currently closed to the public for hunting. The secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture has repeatedly tried to move the research to the U.S Meat Animal Research Center in Clay City, Nebraska. The relocation would save taxpayers millions of dollars every year. It would also open up new elk hunting opportunities.

I’ve been working on a lawsuit to end the high-elevation sheep grazing for years. I didn’t file the case to make money and I don’t know if I’ll ever recover attorney fees. I just want to be a wild animal on the landscape.

John Meyer is the founder and executive director of Cottonwood Environmental Law Center.

I’ve been working on a lawsuit to end the high-elevation sheep grazing for years. I didn’t file the case to make money and I don’t know if I’ll ever recover attorney fees. I just want to be a wild animal on the landscape.

John Meyer is the founder and executive director of Cottonwood Environmental Law Center.

How does the lawsuit relate to the lawsuit that is referenced in this article?

That was our case. Now that it has been dismissed and the government is doing enviro analysis, our elected officials can step up and say whether they think 16,600 acres of high elevation elk habitat should be open to the public for hiking and hunting...

What particularly is it they're 'experimenting' with?
Its not as if sheep grazing is a breaking edge, modern marvel. What could there be for them to learn from this continuous station? Is there a relevant reason for its existence, or is it a perpetual paycheck for a litany of 'ologists' to study to death until retirement?

Regardless, Its a hazard to wild sheep. I say it goes. Thanks for your work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back