Late season pheasants = long distance shotgunning?

Does your shot distance increase through the season when hunting pheasants?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

nastynate

When I first got into pheasant hunting, I read and believed the oft repeated dogma that late season shots are longer than early season shots. I now think that's BS. I hunt a variety of situations (by myself, with others) all through the season, primarily with a flushing dog (lab). I think I have very little ability to predict the distance of the shots that ultimately bring home birds on any given hunt, regardless of how long the season has been going on.

I will certainly agree that bird behavior changes through the season and they often become jumpier late season, but those birds are usually flushing well out of range. The late season birds I actually kill are often some of the tightest holding birds of the year, dug into some thick cattail igloo. All that being said, there are way too many factors at play for me to predict how far away the bird I kill will be when I pull the trigger.

* I also hunt grouse, and I actually do think I shoot birds further later in the season, but that's just because you can't see anything more than 20 yards away when the season opens.

My experience comes from hunting the grasslands of South Dakota.

Early season always found me with a vest full of high brass 7.5s or 6s and IC choke.

Late season birds would group up and flushes of 100 + birds getting up at long range was common place. I'd switch to #5 or #4 shot and switch to M choke or even a SXS Full/Full (Noharleyyet's son owns that shotty now).

If hunting wind breaks or cattails, I'd switch up shotguns or choke tubes.

I haven't seen a wild pheasant since moving to Western Colorado.....

My experience comes from hunting the grasslands of South Dakota.

Early season always found me with a vest full of high brass 7.5s or 6s and IC choke.

Late season birds would group up and flushes of 100 + birds getting up at long range was common place. I'd switch to #5 or #4 shot and switch to M choke or even a SXS Full/Full (Noharleyyet's son owns that shotty now).

If hunting wind breaks or cattails, I'd switch up shotguns or choke tubes.

I haven't seen a wild pheasant since moving to Western Colorado.....
Have a look around Olathe toward Montrose, mostly west of US 50

You are correct. There are too many variables at play to make generalizations. I do find after snow is on the ground they tend to bunch up more and are jumpy. But once they're busted up and pushed into the heavy cover, it's not any tougher to get a good shot. A lot depends on how much pressure they're getting, and not just from hunters. Coyotes and raptors can make them spooky. Hunting in very windy conditions can be rewarding, especially in cattails. Keep the wind at your back so they jump into it towards you. The noise of high wind blowing cattails or brush will disguise approach of dog and hunter. Be ready to shoot fast! In light wind hunt with wind in your face to help blow your sound back. Pheasants have very sharp hearing and it's their chief defense.

The OP is hunting with close working flushing dogs. Good. Late in the season pheasants may let the dogs get close but I think the difference is they won't hold as long as earlier in the season. Or they don't hold at all. Be there when the dog finds a bird or you may only have long shots ... or no shots. I have a close working Lab who's also an excellent pointer. She is deadly during late season. I get to watch some great points and still get great shots because the points are close. My Fr Britt, on the other hand, is a great pointer and she generally doesn't range far, for a pointing dog anyway, but she's still usually too far and late season birds flush before I can get there.

Last edited:
Have a look around Olathe toward Montrose, mostly west of US 50
Yup. There are birds there, but most are escapees of the pheasant/chukar farms/hunt club. I just can't stomach the idea of paying so much to blast some weak-flying pen raised birds.

For wild birds on public land, there are good numbers of grouse, some quail, and a few chukars nearby.

I have lived and hunted in SD and ND my entire life. While I agree the birds do tend to be more wild late in the season and flush further away, to far is still to far. I do believe that snow and cold changes the equation, and they will sit tighter again.

In North Dakota the birds tended to run more 50% of the time. In thicker cover though they held tighter with pointers. In River draws that looped around having a blocker to get ahead on the Oxbow was pretty effective to get birds to hold tight until dogs got within scenting range.

All depends on snow cover, in my opinion. Pressured birds bust early in mid October with no snow, but will hold tight in snow. January roosters will bust early with no snow and will bury themselves in snow, if it’s there. Time of year matters less, if you ask me. Also, you can shoot them all season with 3” #4s out of a modified or IC choke. If you’re worrying about payloads, shot size, and chokes you’re just bored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back