Caribou Gear

Late Rifle Scope Recommendation

nontyp

So it appears I will have a late rifle elk tag this fall. I am a real dummy when it comes to rifles and scopes. I have a .270 with a really cheap scope on it. I’m assuming a upgrade is necessary. What scope do I need? not sure what magnification or objective would be adequate. How far should I be able to shoot, 500yds? I’m not looking to buy super high end. I realize you get what you pay for.

Congrats on the tag!

For best overall value of quality and features I always recommend Vortex Viper HS (or HS LR if you dial) 2.5-10 (great overall and plenty of magnification for 400+) or 4-16 for a bit more reach, but from my experience more magnification can be a detriment, even hunting open country out west.

I never shoot nearly as far as I think I might be able to. If using a BDC holdover reticle, as is available with the Viper options, you need the scope dialed all the way up to use the holdover marks.

The legendary Jack O’Connor hunting everything rocking a straight 4X on his 270s, so even a 3-9 gives you over twice as much top end. In my opinion, the real value of making a scope great overall is the low end.

Happy hunting!

What is your budget?

You should only shoot as far as you can consistently hit your target.
Not sure on budget yet but I’m thinking maybe $500. Agreed on shooting distance. I should clarify that I have been gun hunting deer for 20+ years, but it has been with a shotgun. I have shot my .270 quite a bit, but never really beyond 250 yds because i only use it for calling coyotes and about 1 day/year for rifle hunting deer in Kansas.

270 should have a good bullet for the job.
I can't think of a reason you would want to shoot an elk at 500 yards plus...
Get closer.
That said
What do you have now, is it bad, or do you just want a new scope.

I run Redfields on most of my guns $250, very good tough scope.
On my big 8 rem mag, I have a Burriss drop tine another very inexpensive scope.

Get closer.
That said
What do you have now, is it bad, or do you just want a new scope.

I run Redfields on most of my guns $250, very good tough scope.
On my big 8 rem mag, I have a Burriss drop tine another very inexpensive scope.

Well it does the job for what i have used it for. It’s got a simmons 3-9x40 on it. I honestly don’t want to buy anything at the moment. Eventually it would be nice to upgrade, bit if this scope will work im not opposed to sticking with it.

Well it does the job for what i have used it for. It’s got a simmons 3-9x40 on it. I honestly don’t want to buy anything at the moment. Eventually it would be nice to upgrade, bit if this scope will work im not opposed to sticking with it.
If what you have still works and holds zero, then go with it unless you have the cash for an upgrade. I'll submit another vote for Leupold VX3I. Excellent scope for the money. PM Schmalts on this forum for a price. You won't be disappointed.

you're probably ok with the Simmons but there are things to remember when using that type of low end scope is that you sacrifice a lot of light transmission which is critical when elk are active. At 500 yards I'd wager there is some parallax issues with that scope too. Since it sounds like you're pretty new (no offense) but I'd wager your abilities at that distance are questionable so I'd also recommend pulling your shot distance to 300 especially since that scope is not designed for dialing distance.

Search the deals, talk to Schmalts (Pat). I bet you can stow away a few hundred bucks to get you into something much better than Simmons. Also when you're doing that get new mounts.

My recommendation would be to buy from Schmalts on this site. Predator Optics. Just saved $200 over the lowest price I found anywhere else online on a VX-5HD Firedot.
X2 in buying from Pat! Great scopes at even better prices. I’ve bought 3 scopes and referred a few friends to Pat!

Leupold VX3I. 3.5-10x40mm or 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle. It really works great on figuring hold over with a 200 yard zero out to 500 yards. Just shoot it with the load you will be using and make sure it is hitting where it should be.

I am another one for the Vortex Viper HS. I have the 4x16x44 model with the bdc and love it. I would also say that you can't go wrong with Schmalts and Leupold either. As for the scope you are using, while it might be fine, if this is a limited chance tag and opportunity do you want to take a chance?

For distance I will say that although I have shot quite a bit in my life I limit myself generally to 300m (400m if things are nearly perfect). There are 2 reason for this. One, my OPINION (not judging anyone) is that once you get past a 1/4 mile it becomes more just long range shooting than hunting. Practice and make sure that you are CONSISTENTLY putting your shots in a target the size of the kill zone for the animal you will be hunting (on an elk that is a pretty good sized target) from actual shooting positions you will use while hunting. For example, because of shoulder issues I have I TRY to keep my hunting shots supported. Meaning from some sort of rest or the prone position. So I do most of my shooting with the rifle rested on a sand bag and prone (when I can). Just some ideas and thoughts from my experience. Best of luck!

Get closer.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^
I killed my first elk in 1966. I was hunting with one of my college roommates and I was using a borrowed .30-40 Krag with iron sights. My roommate and I were high on a ridge when I spotted a small bunch of elk in the bottom of the valley. I didn't know anything about hunting elk, but I told my roommate that I was going to try to get down in front of the elk, and before I got 10 yards, my roommate took a shot at the elk. So I sat down and the elk were so far away that my front sight bead completely covered the bull. I'll never know where my roommate's shot or my first shot went as the elk disappeared behind some trees.

Luckily there was a few inches of snow on the ground and no other hunters near us, so an hour and a lot of shots later including finally a behind the shoulder shot, I had my first bull elk on the ground. Thirty four elk later, and I have not taken a shot at an elk, or deer, or sheep at 300 yards or farther. And most of those elk and deer and all of my sheep were one shot kills.

I shot most of my elk with a Herter's .30-06 with a Tasco 3-9x40 scope that I later had re-chambered to .30 Gibbs and put a Redfield 3-9x40 scope on it.

Most of my hunting rifles now wear Leupold scopes, with my favorite being their VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS with their Windplex reticle and side focus, and I have these scopes on my 7 mm RM and my .300 Weatherby. I have 4 other models of Leupold scopes on other rifles including a VX Freedom 3-9x40 CDS Duplex reticle on my .223 Wby Vanguard, that I enjoy using it to ring the 15" steel gongs that we have out to 430 yards at our range. I think this is an excellent low cost scope that is suitable for most North American big game hunting.

Leupold sells so many VX3 3.5-10x for a reason. It'll do almost anything you need a hunting scope to do and can be had affordably.

I would rather a 2-10x from Leupold or Burris for close range shots. I have had the opportunity to say I told you so a few times to people who didn't listen to my recommendation for wider field of view on a hunting rifle.

Don't skimp on the mounts. Buy quality mounts even if you have to reduce the scope budget. An excellent scope in poor quality mounts is useless because it won't stay zeroed.

So it appears I will have a late rifle elk tag this fall. I am a real dummy when it comes to rifles and scopes. I have a .270 with a really cheap scope on it. I’m assuming a upgrade is necessary. What scope do I need? not sure what magnification or objective would be adequate. How far should I be able to shoot, 500yds? I’m not looking to buy super high end. I realize you get what you pay for.

Go look for some posts by Formidilosus on here, Rokslide, and 24hourcampfire. He has solid advice.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back