Late Rifle Scope Recommendation

I prefer 300 yards but would shoot 400 with right conditions. Per Big Fin's recommendations, most of my range time is shooting off my pack or bog pog, not bench. The bench won't go with me in the field. I shoot with the pack vertical and me sitting, with the pack prone, and with the bog pog both standing and sitting. I was shooting Vortex but will be shifting to Leupold.

The best scope for the money that will fully meet your needs is a SWFA SS 6x42. They cost $300 full retail and if you find them on sale or used for $210 or so. They are rock solid mechanically, and the optics are more than whats needed to hunt past legal shooting light.

Another good option is the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. You can find those for less than $200. They are the toughest set and forget scope I have ever used. They are definitely on par with the VX-2 in optical clarity, and darn close to a VX-3. Don't let the cheap price fool you.

And I would definitely go with 3x9 or something close to that. I wouldn't want the wide end more than 4 and 2.5 or 3 is substantially better. We all practice at distance but when the elk comes in at 50 yards or less, you'll appreciate the wide angle.

So it appears I will have a late rifle elk tag this fall. I am a real dummy when it comes to rifles and scopes. I have a .270 with a really cheap scope on it. I’m assuming a upgrade is necessary. What scope do I need? not sure what magnification or objective would be adequate. How far should I be able to shoot, 500yds? I’m not looking to buy super high end. I realize you get what you pay for.

I appreciate your honesty. Yes, Leupold is great stuff like so many have mentioned, but there are other options. I love Vortex also. I have owned the two, and have had zero problems. All my buddies believe in both companies.

In terms of scope design. Something in the 3 to 9 with a 40mm objective lense will do the trick. Clarity over magnification every time.

A vortex diamondback would do you solid too. I love the mat Vortex and Leupold are made in America and stand by their products.

I appreciate your honesty. Yes, Leupold is great stuff like so many have mentioned, but there are other options. I love Vortex also. I have owned the two, and have had zero problems. All my buddies believe in both companies.

In terms of scope design. Something in the 3 to 9 with a 40mm objective lense will do the trick. Clarity over magnification every time.
I also have a vortex viper that i have been happy with. Around 40 mm is a good size. Get much bigger and they start to get pretty heavy. I would also recommend getting the best you can afford. Most scopes look pretty good during the day. Its when you're at dawn or dusk that you see the real difference. I would go with a better quality scope that is a more moderate size than a larger scope of lesser quality.

Second on 40mm. I went 50 on my last scope which led to higher scope rings and started having problems with cheek weld. Thankfully that was just a Vortex Diamondback for a muzzle loader so not a big financial loss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back