Last week of rifle season info.

wm burwell

I came out and hunted the Gravelly Range the first two weeks of bow season. The elk weren't ready to play and had no luck. I have managed to talk my wife into coming back the last week of rifle season. That was my first time to Montana. I was hoping that someone can give me some info on what to expect weather wise and whether elk will still be high where I left them in September. I know weather has a lot to do with where the elk will be, just curious of how much snow it takes to move them down. Thanks for any help.

I generally hunt this time of year. Temps have ranged from -10 to +45. If the temps drop and freeze up the streams, elk will come down for water, if the temps jump up, expect to find the bulls up HIGH. We crossed tracks of a Grizzly last year on the 23 of November so bring pepper spray.

My favorite week other than the rut.
You should be able to get a bull in a week as long as you're not super selective and there's a little snow.

Do you guys mostly track or use glassing methods to hunt elk?

To the original poster, I would recommend trying to find a cabin/motel within close proximity to your hunting area. Unless your wife is super tough camping would be rather difficult. Me and my family rented a cabin last year for three days before Thanksgiving and it made for a good time. I also believe that unit is branched bull or cow, so you should be able to get a shot.

Don't be afraid to follow tracks all day (and bring a gps!) With some snow, it is really just about how hard you are willing to work to get an elk.

Back