Last week of rifle season info.

wm burwell

I came out and hunted the Gravelly Range the first two weeks of bow season. The elk weren't ready to play and had no luck. I have managed to talk my wife into coming back the last week of rifle season. That was my first time to Montana. I was hoping that someone can give me some info on what to expect weather wise and whether elk will still be high where I left them in September. I know weather has a lot to do with where the elk will be, just curious of how much snow it takes to move them down. Thanks for any help.

I generally hunt this time of year. Temps have ranged from -10 to +45. If the temps drop and freeze up the streams, elk will come down for water, if the temps jump up, expect to find the bulls up HIGH. We crossed tracks of a Grizzly last year on the 23 of November so bring pepper spray.

My favorite week other than the rut.
You should be able to get a bull in a week as long as you're not super selective and there's a little snow.

Do you guys mostly track or use glassing methods to hunt elk?

To the original poster, I would recommend trying to find a cabin/motel within close proximity to your hunting area. Unless your wife is super tough camping would be rather difficult. Me and my family rented a cabin last year for three days before Thanksgiving and it made for a good time. I also believe that unit is branched bull or cow, so you should be able to get a shot.

Don't be afraid to follow tracks all day (and bring a gps!) With some snow, it is really just about how hard you are willing to work to get an elk.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back