Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT general Seasons

What week is your preferred week for MT general rifle season?

• 10/21 - 10/29

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • 10/30 - 11/5

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • 11/6 - 11/12

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • 11/13 - 11/19

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • 11/20 - 11/26

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters
For general elk I'd rather scout 3 days prior and hunt opening weekend with a bull picked out. For deer I really like Veterans day on. I actually have killed most elk that week as well, but to target a specific bull opening day is crucial in the general areas.

I prefer hunting November with a rifle. Snows will push elk around more. In October following the rut, the elk are in deep dark holes and not easily accessible. I’m a big proponent of work smarter, not harder.

I prefer hunting November with a rifle. Snows will push elk around more. In October following the rut, the elk are in deep dark holes and not easily accessible. I’m a big proponent of work smarter, not harder.
Takes more snow than you would think to move bigger bulls. Extreme cold moves them more in my experience. mtmuley

Killed most of my rifle bulls during the first week of rifle season, but I like late, lots of snow and cold
Given that I have the combo, depending how the bow season goes, I think I will be hunting 11/4-11/19. Should be good for deer and hopefully get some snow to pusht eh deer down. Trying to find some decent glassing spots to hole up in.

It depends on the area and what the animals are doing there. Some areas hold elk before the snow, other spots when pressure hits, other spots as the snow moves them out of other areas. We have had 1.5 to 2 ft of snow the second week of archery, and sometimes don’t have a foot by thanksgiving.
Gotta use your glass to find them and then put boots on ground to get closer. Chat up people you see and spend as much time on the mountain as possible.
Man, I hope the snow holds off this year. Way too much last year.

This is going to be my first year hunting elk with a rifle, I have bow hunted elk in various states now for 8 years. Given the length of the MT general rifle season I was wondering what people's favorite week to hunt was? I can see the hunting tactics being different from the first week of rifle season to the last. Just wondering is there a "best" week to be out there. I think at this point I will devote 2 weeks to this hunt, just wanted to see what kind of responses I got on a poll! Feel free to comment why you chose the week you did! Thanks everyone!
Hey Everyone!! Thank you all for the votes on times to go!

Since its my first time with a rifle I have a newbie question. How much girth roughly does an elk have. Exclude calves, Im thinking a 2-3 year old animal. The reason I am asking is my rifle has a hold over of roughly 12 inches at 300 yards. Trying to visualize where to aim on an elk with that type of holdover? Is it the line of the back? Is it dead center? etc? Thanks in advance!

Hey Everyone!! Thank you all for the votes on times to go!

Since its my first time with a rifle I have a newbie question. How much girth roughly does an elk have. Exclude calves, Im thinking a 2-3 year old animal. The reason I am asking is my rifle has a hold over of roughly 12 inches at 300 yards. Trying to visualize where to aim on an elk with that type of holdover? Is it the line of the back? Is it dead center? etc? Thanks in advance!
If you're planning to hold over at 300, you're probably asking for trouble. I'd go with a 250 yd zero if you don't have a scope you can adjust elevation on. That's what I use for 30.06 and it hits 3.6 inches high at 150 yards and 4.3 inches low at 300. I can dial it too, but for quick shots it's just a slight hold over or under anywhere out to 300.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back