MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Last week a grizzly this week a Prairie rattler !!!

Little Big Man MT Chris

What the hell else you got Montana? Oh wait I don’t want to know ! Went for an afternoon out to a spot I went a couple of weeks ago and found some pronghorn and got a picture of that badger. I wanted to go explore different area , it was hot today so I wanted to hike the evening and then drive out.

I was maybe a half mile into my hike and standing on a rock maybe 4 foot around 5 foot around something like that good 8 to 10 inches thick maybe had the trekking poles up against the tree been there for about a minute and all sudden you could hear that rattlesnake rattle , rolled to my right lifted up my left leg and just caught a glimpse of it going under the rock I was standing on , it been sitting there foot away from me or some crap for a whole minute. Damn thing never made a peep and then a short rattles and shot under the rock , I will say for the record not nearly as freaking scary as my sow and cub encounter last week but it did get my blood pumping for a second .

Unlike last week when people jokingly commented did you get a picture of the bear when everyone knows that I was running for my life out of the woods . Ha ha ha today , I actually got audio of the damn thing under the rock that I was on it gets a little windy but in the first few seconds you can definitely hear it going off

The rock it went under , If you zoom in and look closely you can see it’s shed skin from last winner earlier this spring whenever it shed last
94FDD0EC-64DF-4796-BA05-F9EE012D4FA8.jpeg

The area I was bumping around in today
D61755DF-248E-488D-BF32-BA69F187FDE3.jpegAB373AA4-9520-4E46-8D59-DADCE17A4025.jpeg2AEA8064-6346-4FB5-8DFC-759424E4C261.jpeg3C1FB8CC-0DDA-4711-AAEF-A5C7D19A325D.jpeg

And a bunny 🐰 14 yds on the way back to the truck
8056770F-54A1-461F-B6CD-3072757C97B2.jpeg

Before my hike I discovered a prairie dog area on some of the land I was exploring , back in western Oregon we didn’t have prairie dogs but I would say there’s damn near thousand out here in this spot I found today , damn things were everywhere
8F1324CF-F86F-4D9B-8329-2D873A9605AF.png

I think at this point I just need to start a guide service for adrenaline junkies.
Call it something like .

NEAR DEATH ☠️ EXPERIENCE’S
let’s go for a hike !

Ha ha ha !

Last edited:
Those are actually prairie rattlers. You’re lucky to be alive.

Thanks he made me jump that’s for sure I think it was like under 15 inches looked like , I just saw it for a split second as it went under the rock but I change the name of my post to reflect correct name

I was wearing double socks , good leather mid shin Kenetrek’s and gators Over my pants

I forgot to add I didn’t find any sheds today but I did find signs of a-holes
My pack out collection, A couple i packed out of the woods and some of them I picked up off the old BLM dirt road I was driving, people are so freaking lazy how hard is it to throw it in the freaking back of your truck bed or put it behind the seat !!!!

Attachments

• 6132AEAA-DFDA-4634-8021-2760DEE65D0A.jpeg
    6132AEAA-DFDA-4634-8021-2760DEE65D0A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
It’s still to early to change my name , I have yet to fill one tag in Montana ! I have explored a few places of dirt , Maybe next year I’ll be the MT SOPH but as for now I’m fine with being called a rookie because JLS pointed out that it was a prairie rattler not a timber rattler and I didn’t even know that, And also it doesn’t take a lot of skill to drive around in the summer go hiking when animals aren’t pressured and get pictures of them , now convincing them to come home with you and go for a ride in the back of your truck once season starts is a little bit different

Rattlesnakes sure know how to make a fella feel alive. I was out digging for dinosaur fossils a few years ago with my then 4 year old on a south facing slope in the badlands. Everything was going great until lunchtime hit and the thermometer touched 80 degrees. Hiking back to the pickup was like playing a game of hop scotch.

My worst experience with rattlesnakes was leaving my hunting blind in the dark and I forgot my headlamp and took my first step and no less than 3 separate rattles fired up with the closest less than 3 feet away and the farthest maybe 10 feet away. I jumped back in the blind and decided to wait a while.

Back