Lapua vs Nosler Brass

DamascusSteel

Been using Nosler brass I had from factory loads and havent had any issues and been happy, but I just picked up 100 pieces of new Lapua brass. Should I expect a lot of differences in my velocities and pressures? Thinking about starting a half grain less and working back up. Any thoughts?

There are too many variables to answer this well. There isn't a constant translation from nosler to lapua over every cartridge, each is different. Further, nosler has not been consistent in who produces their brass. It used to be norma for the most part but my understanding is that is no longer the case. Old nosler cases had different case capacities to current production.

In general, if you are near max i'd start more than a half grain less unless you're talking .223 case size or something.

If you’re not near a book max, you’re highly unlikely to run into any major pressure related issues. You will most likely get a slightly differently velocity(and pressure) from the two with identical powder charges. It just isn’t likely to be enough to cause big problems unless you’re already on the edge.

I'm at .5gr under book max but I'm not showing any apparent pressure signs with nosler brass, if anything just the slightest primer cratering but all my primers look that way.. the highest charge might be the slightest bit more noticeable so I backed down to the .5 under

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back