Laptop/gps.

sturge

I have been going a little nuts trying to find a solution to this problem. Using a Panasonic Toughbook, I want to be able to use the gps navigation in conjunction with topo maps. In other words, I need navigation software that is in greater detail than what the mainstream TomTom type stuff uses, and is compatible with the Toughbook. I have to believe there is something out there, but just can't find it. Any ideas?

Are you saying that you want to plug your GPS into your computer and use this combination for navigation in your vehicle?

Maybe look into professional surveying maps? I would imagine that you could get some super high resolution maps that would be made to be used on a pc.

The laptop already has the GPS internally. Currently there is no navigation or mapping software installed. I need navigation software that has detailed mapping. FS roads etc.

What kind of a budget do you have for getting this taken care of? I am a professional land surveyor and my field crews run these laptops and others with a package which contains an external Garmin antenna and a GIS mapping software. It's really not that expensive but I don't know what expensive is for an individual. I have been using survey/mapping grade GPS since 1988 and can probably help you with just about anything you need if you can provide me with more detail about your needs.

Basically what I want to be able to do is this. Arizona has roads everywhere. With a lot being FS roads. Unfortunately, many times the markers have been taken, so knowing which road is which becomes very difficult. Only after a 1 hour drive down a 2 track is it discovered that its the wrong road. I need navigating software that includes as much detail as possible. I know there ways to accomplish this, but this to me would be the easiest and fastest. I did look at mappoint and seems to be the closest thing to what I am looking for.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back