Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any GIS experts out there?

44hunter45

Google Maps, Google Earth, OnX, GoHUNT, GPS Navigation, etc all show our county road name changed.
This is playing hell with getting contractors and deliveries to our house. Thankfully our drivers and most LEOs know us.

If EMS has to come out here, we are screwed.

I called the County and they say they know nothing about it. That our road name has NOT changed.

If you click on our property in OnX or GoHUNT, the listed address is correct, you just cant GPS here from anywhere.

Apple Maps on the iPhone still calls it the right name.

Definitely more in @Nameless Range wheel house.

I think E911 locations are based on the county not google, so you should be ok for EMS. I interned for a county GIS department in CO and this was how they were set up.

Google had my parents address all fubar’d, you can flag a problem via google maps but I’m not sure how often they check it and make corrections. They did eventually fix my parents but it was wrong from like 04’-17’

I believe theres been some pretty substantial investments made to 911 services for the rural areas in the last few years. A lot of this has been backed by the feds/states to aid counties with developing better 911 data. This would include better, more accurate address points and road centerline data.

For example, North Dakota DOT manages the general road datasets must of the public consumes via maps, apps, and other consumable services using road data. But our department of emergency services maintains an entirely separate road centerline dataset, tied to address points and routing. This is the data and apps that 911 responders are using when on a call.

I can't speak to MT infrastructure and how they do things but I would presume there is substantial effort made to make 911 responses faster and more efficient.

All this is to say I doubt they're using Google maps to conduct their operations.

Definitely more in @Nameless Range wheel house.

I think E911 locations are based on the county not google, so you should be ok for EMS. I interned for a county GIS department in CO and this was how they were set up.
My understanding-development wise- is this is accurate. E911 are county based, city still runs via county ish, but it can vary greatly city to city inside a county, and county to county inside the state.

Naming has its own philosophy and can vary from 'shoot us the names you have' to 'follow this diagram to understand which alphabetical order the names shall follow, along with this pre fix and post fix, and will inverse if it cross x line blah blah blah".

Google and the likes, don't know how that works.

My understanding-development wise- is this is accurate. E911 are county based, city still runs via county ish, but it can vary greatly city to city inside a county, and county to county inside the state.
Yeah that's my understanding, depends on the state as well.

A lot of times too folks in rural areas will just change the name of their street without going through an approval process and obviously that jacks stuff up. That was kinda my involvement in the whole process, syncing up E911 with the whims of random folks, who decided they like Elk Drive better than R351.

my BIL is a firefighter and they definitely on occasion will just throw the address in google on their phone, especially when they're unsure about traffic, while the engineer is ripping 60 down wadsworth

I have no real authority on this but I imagine OnX, Gohunt, etc just pull the street name data from a Google Maps database so the issue would originate from Google.

So Google Maps has a user edit tool. This triggers a review by there dev team.

Makes me wonder if that's how it got hosed in the first place.

I submitted an update request.

If you are concerned about E911 contact the address administrator for your local government (city and county should both have one) and confirm/verify with them. They can send an official address notification to the proper authorities to make sure it is correct in their databases. You can also check your address in the USPS zip code verification system online to see what they have. If you just put in the street name it will give you a list of all the addresses on said street.

The google thing is a pain. I was told by them once that they would not correct a map error because the source was not authoritative.....and the source I used was the city in which the error existed. If the city mapping folks aren't an authoritative source then not much else qualifies. Go figure. FWIW my parents' address is in the wrong place on the map as well but at least Google folks have it on the right street albeit a couple of parcels off and across the road.

If you want to submit something official to Google look to a subdivision plat (if your land is platted) from your county recorder. The title work from a mortgage can also be of use.

I may be wrong but I think I lot of those interfaces rely on Open Streets platform. I'm not sure how you edit it, but I think it's possible.

I think a lot of the folks on here have given good advice, and all I can say when it comes to the counties of Montana, and emergency response, is addressing and how they will get there is a mixed bag. I can't speak to Idaho.

You said you called the county. I don't know if you called addressing/GIS, but I would call the non-emergency number for your sheriff's office and ask them what addressing system they use. Make sure they things are straight with them because it's likely that LEOs, Fire, and EMS will all be dispatched by them.

Sounds like you used the link to fix google maps: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/10271004?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

You can do the same thing on Bing: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/report-bug

Same thing in OnX: https://onxmapssupport.zendesk.com/... map feature that,and find the corrected data.

And openstreets: https://help.openstreetmap.org/ques...:~:text=Zoom in to the area,'Save' at the top.

Up until a couple years ago, when I got paged out to a residence through the VFD, I would use Google Maps - which in your case, wouldn't have been good. Now, I use eDispatch, which is better tied to county cadastral data. It may just take a while for all these things to catch up, but if you utilize the crowdsourcing options for errors on all the systems you see that error, it will eventually.

Google Maps, Google Earth, OnX, GoHUNT, GPS Navigation, etc all show our county road name changed.
This is playing hell with getting contractors and deliveries to our house. Thankfully our drivers and most LEOs know us.

If EMS has to come out here, we are screwed.

I called the County and they say they know nothing about it. That our road name has NOT changed.

If you click on our property in OnX or GoHUNT, the listed address is correct, you just cant GPS here from anywhere.

Apple Maps on the iPhone still calls it the

My brother in law is missing. We know he just started using Onx. Is there anyway to locate his last position in Colorado. He was Elk hunting

My brother in law is missing. We know he just started using Onx. Is there anyway to locate his last position in Colorado. He was Elk hunting
@onX Hunt

Not sure but if you haven’t done so, you may want to try and call search and rescue. If he has a phone they may be able to locate him

Call law enforcement. But the only way to have a chance is if you have his log in information. You could look at most recent waypoints added

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back