Lame Duck Question

tmvikings

Getting a new rifle - Primary game will be antelope, whitetail, mule deer, hog, and maybe elk, but I do have a 300wsm Tikka and 30-06 Browning for that. Don't really want a new rifle with a muzzle brake but I like the Tikka rifles ( Roughtech and Wideland Veil ) and have had good luck with them very smooth action. another option I'm looking at is Christensen Arms. Had the 6.5 PRC in mind but since I don't reload and ammo is pricey now plus scarce thinking a 270 might be about perfect or the 6.5 man bun. Would like to keep the rifle lightweight as well. Have a nice Swarovski Z5 to top it with.
Rifle options?
Caliber Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your input

Get the .270. The cool kids will be along shortly to talk you out of it. mtmuley
Indeed. 1 in 9 barrel twist and long mono bullets make it even better than before, and it was already a death ray. If peer pressure gets too intense, you could AI it, but it is already so efficient you would gain very little.

Last edited:
As someone who hunts with a 270, I’ll say that around here factory 270 ammo has been really tough to come by. Seems like there’s tons of 308 options but MAYBE one 270 load at any store I go to. If you aren’t picky on ammo you can probably get by, but I switched to Federal Trophy Copper last year and haven’t seen it anywhere since I bought the two boxes.

As someone who hunts with a 270, I’ll say that around here factory 270 ammo has been really tough to come by. Seems like there’s tons of 308 options but MAYBE one 270 load at any store I go to. If you aren’t picky on ammo you can probably get by, but I switched to Federal Trophy Copper last year and haven’t seen it anywhere since I bought the two boxes.
Just bought 5 boxes of 270 for $128, ammo seek is your friend!

270 is a great cartridge. But what does it do that your '06 doesn't?

I'll go against the grain and suggest something short action. Primary use "antelope, whitetail, mule deer".... 243 Winchester will scratch that itch, along with a plethora of other short action cartridges. Might save a little weight, too.

I like the .270 Win. Just put another one together. If you already have adequate .30 cal stuff for the bigger game, just set it up for the antelope and deer. It will shoot flatter (marginally) with lighter recoil (noticeably) than the .30s, and be plenty stout to take with aplomb the game that you seek.

The Creedmoor is fine, short action, etc. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer a bit more horsepower because I’m a stubborn old soul. You can easily load a .270 down to 6.5CM range, but you can’t load a 6.5CM up to .270 range.

For me the 270 is simply to much like the 30-06. I'd take a good look at the 25-06. I feed mine 117gr bullet's and it just kills stuff, kinda like any cartridge with a well placed bullet!

I think you need a short action cartridge. I hear the 7mm-08 is decent. Not sure if anyone on here has experience with this chambering...

.270 would certainly be a good choice.

270 is a great cartridge. But what does it do that your '06 doesn't?

I'll go against the grain and suggest something short action. Primary use "antelope, whitetail, mule deer".... 243 Winchester will scratch that itch, along with a plethora of other short action cartridges. Might save a little weight, too.
I 100% agree, 270 is too similar to really matter. Now, a Tikka in .243 is a beautiful thing, and ideal for pronghorn and whitetail. They have been tough to find, and I don’t think they came in the stocks you like, but I bought one with the factory wood stock, and the stock alone sold for a good amount, enough to get the stock you really want.

Back