Lake Michigan Salmon

NoWiser

A few weeks ago my wife traded weekends with a coworker and I suddenly realized I could squeeze a fishing trip in the last weekend in June. As it got closer, I kept an eye on the forecast and saw light winds out of the west. Lake Michigan would be our destination! My dad and I made our first trip out there last year and had some success so we were itching to get back. We were on our way, along with my uncle, after I dropped my daughter off at daycare on Friday morning.

We starting dropping lines and getting hits, but we just couldn't keep anything on. Finally, my dad got on board with a king.

IMG_0213.jpg

Shortly after, I landed a 14 pound steelhead. I think it spent more time in the air than water during our battle.

IMG_0216.jpg

My uncle got on board with another king as it was getting dark. I think we hooked up with 12 fish and landed 3. We figured out that our drags were tightened too much and we were straightening hooks.

IMG_0218.jpg

The next few days we put things together and started landing more fish. Every trip out onto the lake was filled with excitement and big fish.

19.5 pound king.

IMG_0228.jpg

My best of the trip, a 25 pound king.

IMG_0251.jpg

All good things must come to an end, so Monday we pointed the truck back east, towards home. We packaged all of our fish and threw them on the bathroom scale.

Here's 118 pounds of salmon and steelhead fillets. I can't wait to fire up the smoker this weekend. There will be no shortage of good snacking food come hunting season this fall!

IMG_0267.jpg

Awesome I miss fishing the big pond. Those are some really nice fish!

The fish out there hit like a ton of bricks.

The fish out there hit like a ton of bricks.

I don't think anything can beat a big fish hitting a dipsy rod! I've had a lot of fun fishing trips the last 10 years, but I think this one beat them all.

Looks like you guys had an awesome time! We are hitting Lake Ontario for salmon at the end of July. Hopefully we have as good of a time as you!

That is awesome! Looks like a fun trip and you probably just added something like that to my bucket list. Congrats!

Super!! I need to make it up on Lake Michigan for fishing sometime. Congrats on a good haul of fish!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back