Lake Erie walleye during March

JDH

I will probably be in NE Ohio for a week during March for work. I was wondering if anyone on here knows how the walleye fishing is that time of year around Cleveland. I am thinking it will be in the middle of the month and I could possibly make it a Tuesday -Friday or a Monday - Thursday, and go fishing during the weekend, just in case the later part of the month would be better fishing. Would it be worth it to book a charter for that time period or should I wait until February and see how the weather looks? Or will I be too far east for that early in the season? I'm not looking for a trophy fish (if that matters for timing), I just want to catch some fish.

Might still be ice? Does Erie freeze --?

Get it done man, big walleyes rock, some MI guys are on here ought to know and have insight for ya!

I live within 10 minutes of lake erie and march is going to be tough. Last year we ice well into april. This year it isn't frozen yet but the walleye bite moves west to east and Cleveland is about halfway. Usually its mid June by the time the heavy bite hits cleveland. It's probably not worth a charter, but you could luck into a real monster. The past 2 or 3 years, fishing in tounaments, a 10 pound average wont put you in the money.

Thanks guys. I knew the bite moved west to east but wasn't sure about the timing. I did not even think about ice.

Ive fished out of Maumee Bay the last 2 years in early March on the ice, It was awsome. I dont think there going to have great ice this year. Boats might be out by than??

One other thing is that given my location in Indiana I can also come home the long way through Sandusky if it helps.

Erie is ridiculous for walleyes. You catch more fish over 5 pounds than under. Unbelievable!

I run walleye charters out Geneva Ohio (Erie central basin), that is roughly Avon Lake (just west of Cleveland), East to the PA line (or so). PrivateerSportFishing.com

We won't even have our boats out of winter storage in March... If you want to fish March or April, I suggest going to western basin - Sandusky OH area. If the ice is clear, folks will be running charters that time of year. Personally, I prefer to fish warmer climates during the northern cold seasons...

Hi, Still heading to Ohio this March? Fishing is getting started, open water this year. Some trolling and some jigging. Pm for my phone # taking is a lot easier than typing for me.

Back