Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Labor day plans?

cjcj

My wife and I are heading to the west coast for 4 days... gotta get out of the heat!...3 days [comped] in the mountains..:) . and 1 day in La Jolla....:)

Whats up for you?

It appears my folks will be visiting us this weekend. Lovely, let me tell ya. My old man sits around and bitches about everything and anything and my mom bitches about the things my dad complains about. It's an endless circle of fun! On a side note, I get some paid leave from work without working it - another day to spend antelope/elk hunting come October.

I've got 4 days of elk hunting planned. This one will mainly be a scouting trip with a bow in my hand, but if the right oppurtunity presents itself (any bull) then I'll be shooting. I've got a 9 day trip planned for 3 weeks from now when I'll get really serious about elk.

September 1st is opening day of dove season, so I will be hunting the 1st thru the 4th. I will also do a cast & blast on Sept 2nd. I will go to Alamo, hunt the North shore for dove coming to water & than Crappie fish after the sun goes down. I am looking forward to that. Take Care, JLG.

The boy and I are going on the Openning Dove Hunt...but, we have seen a cold front push through here and it was 63 degrees driving to work this morning. That usually is enough to push the Doves out of the area. Maybe next weekend the ones pushed from somewhere else will find the Dove Field and we will get some shooting in. John

Lets see, tomorrow is the dove opener, so true to form it FROZE last night. Now I'm all for the cooler weather and god knows we need a little relief from the fires, but come on! its going to be 90 degrees next week and I'll bet more than half the doves that were in the area are gone after last night.

I think Idaho should catch a break and be able to start dove shooting 8/15. At least we would have 7 or 10 days before they clear out.

As for plans, we are heading to Salmon tomorrow. My wife has her 20th reunion this weekend. My bro-in-law slammed a bighorn yesterday, so I will at least to get to see something dead. Maybe get into the hills and look for a grouse.

Everyone be safe.

Close up the pool, mow some grass, set a couple deer stands, do some bow shooting, do some rifle shooting, fish fry & multiple brewskies w/ friends Saturday, work on hunting trailer ............... Yeah, I think I can stay busy.

I feel left out, I think I live in the only state without a dove season.Our current governor vetoed our hopes when it got to his office.can't wait to get himout of office and try to get a dove season.Hopefully before my kids leave the house!I get frustrated when every state around us has a dove season and I can't take my kids out hunting them after work.sorry for venting.I'll be doing the majority of my scouting for the up coming seasons this weekend and get some shooting practice in.Youth deer season will be in two weeks.

Spending it with the family...woops, no family around here, I will be heading off to the mountains with stick and string instead I guess. Dropped Axl off at the jail last night, so I should be a little more mobile now.

Have a good holiday weekend everyone.

mtmiller said:
I will be heading off to the mountains with stick and string instead I guess.

= Gonna go rope me a fat chick...;)

Everyone have a good weekend... As for me ... I'm going to hunt, Hunt, HUNT!!!hump

I can't believe it but I'm going fishing.. Meeting my dad up at CJ Strike and chasing the bass around a little. I hate hunting labor day weekend but I still usually do it. First time in a while I haven't been up there at this time. I was just commenting to WileCoyote that this time last year I had my Antelope dead on the 29th, called in 3 small bulls on the 30th (one shot), and my dad killed a small muley buck on the 31st. And for some weird reason I still have'nt gone up. O'well I'll be primed and ready next week.

Good luck to all going up and shoot straight.

The wife had some surgery on Weds. so I'm kinda being tha "caregiver".
Might get to go shoot some sporting clays on Sun. and work on a couple of my ground blinds on Mon. Bowseason starts on the 15th, so I gotta get my blinds bushed.:)

I took Mikey to the pier fishing on Friday ( he had fun reeling in some mackeral on 2-pound test), just hung out today, going to the mountains tomorrow (Sunday) and will take MIkey out fishing again on Monday. I'll also try out the new Kimber Varmint model.

Only had today, Monday off, my sons wanted to go fishing. We went out in the Atlantic to the LE Reef. My youngest son picked up a Short Flounder and a blue fish within the first couple minutes. My other son got SEA SICK, and I kicked the Minnie bucket overboard, and lost all the bait. The day pretty much sucked, came home an took a nap before the bar b q.

Back