KUIU ad

Oneye

I found this add to be pretty petty. It's basically an attack on Sitka and I think it's a pretty ridiculous one. Sitka makes great gear. I'm glad KUIU came out in support of public lands but this just seems petty. Buy Sitka and First Lite guys, things like this make me cringe a little.

https://youtu.be/P4Sl4q9eA5Q

Although I'm not happy with the quality of my Sitka gear, I'm even less happy that I own one Kuiu jacket. Thanks for sharing, Oneye.

Putting the issue of public land transfer aside and just looking at the products, is what the ad says true? If so, I would buy Kuiu over Sitka. I see no problem with the ad.

Disclaimer: I don't own product from either. The only high end camo that I have is made by Core 4 and I bought it on sale at Camofire.

Putting the issue of public land transfer aside and just looking at the products, is what the ad says true? If so, I would buy Kuiu over Sitka. I see no problem with the ad.

Agreed.

There are considerations outside of quality I value, such as ethics, country of production, public lands support, etc. But the straight to consumer model is the way of the future. I have the internet, why the hell would I pay for a middle man I no longer need?

Within reason, I personally care little about the ethics of any outdoor product manufacturer. If they make a great product at a price I'm willing to pay, they get my business. Function is #1. Probably why I own nothing from KUIU or Sitka. That said, sure there's worse, and to each their own.

I don't disagree that direct to the customer is the way to go, but I thought this add was too childish in its delivery.

I have no problem with the ad, I also have no stake in Sitka and if I did I might not like the commercial. that being said, I own first light, Sitka and kuiu gear. I like all the pieces I have from all 3 brands. I'd like to see first lite and Sitka's prices come down some, maybe do some internet only sales in order to do so. there is something nice about actually going to the store and trying on a Sitka or first lite jacket before buying, even if you do end up buying it online for a cheaper price from amazon or midwayusa etc. That is my only complaint about Kuiu gear. cant really try it on before you buy. but I cant fault a company for trying to beat the competition. isn't that what all companies are trying to do?

I have a bunch of both companies gear and Kuiu is definitely a little cheaper than Sitka for the similar product, the difference is Sitka tends to have more design features where as Kuiu props themselves up on materials rather than design. The more I use Sitka pieces the more clever things I find built into the design. I'd say that Kuiu pieces are maybe 10-20% cheaper than Sitka.

There is bad blood as Jason co-founded Sitka and had a nasty split with his partner then waited for his non-compete to come up and started Kuiu. Once you understand all of that you realize what the issues are between the companies.

comes with significant buyer's remorse?

I hunted with a friend last fall who was dressed from head to toe in matching First Lite camo (including a vest and jacket) and had a set of First Lite rain gear in his pack. He told me it all cost $2,200. I told him I've owned cars that weren't worth that much.

There is bad blood as Jason co-founded Sitka and had a nasty split with his partner then waited for his non-compete to come up and started Kuiu. Once you understand all of that you realize what the issues are between the companies.

Oh dang I didn't know that....

Yeah the commercial is an attack but it's not like verizon hasn't been doing that to AT&T for the last 10 years as well. It's part of the marketing scheme now. Granted I like AT&T better just because they're not attacking their competitors and still can run a successful business.

I hunted with a friend last fall who was dressed from head to toe in matching First Lite camo (including a vest and jacket) and had a set of First Lite rain gear in his pack. He told me it all cost $2,200. I told him I've owned cars that weren't worth that much.

So what do good optics, boots and backpacks cost? Money invested in good quality clothing is more than worth it for guys who don't go back to a heated lodge at the end of the day.

All of the technical hunting gear is great compared to the half cotton garbage Mossy Oak and Realtree pushed for 2 decades.

Oh dang I didn't know that....

Yeah the commercial is an attack but it's not like verizon hasn't been doing that to AT&T for the last 10 years as well. It's part of the marketing scheme now. Granted I like AT&T better just because they're not attacking their competitors and still can run a successful business.

Sprint is doing it to Verizon now....they even took their spokesperson.

If I want something to block the wind, Sitka would be my choice over Kuiu since Kuiu can't use the Goretex fabrics Sitka uses.

I've noticed my Sitka pieces being more durable than my Kuiu gear so far. Not a scientific method by any means.

So what do good optics, boots and backpacks cost? Money invested in good quality clothing is more than worth it for guys who don't go back to a heated lodge at the end of the day.

All of the technical hunting gear is great compared to the half cotton garbage Mossy Oak and Realtree pushed for 2 decades.

Easy Bro, I wasn't trying to offend you. I just thought it was a little excessive. I spend a couple of weeks every fall in the backcountry, have never stayed in a lodge, and choose to do it without spending thousands on clothing. Maybe you have a different approach and that's fine too.

In the cutthroat world of marketing/sales, I think this is an effective ad. Would I go toe-toe like this myself, prob not. Kuiu's direct customer model certainly cuts out the retail mark up, I don't know if they can substantiate the claim that Sitka uses inferior materials. I'd like to see something backing that up.
I do know I don't like paying Sitka prices (my stuff is secondhand or super deals), but I also don't like gear quitting on me on the mountain.

I kind of have mixed emotions on the ad.
On one hand, it comes across as kind of immature and petty. On the other hand, this is business and that's what happens in business. Brands run marketing campaigns to show where they are ahead of their competitor.
When you buy from Kuiu, Kuiu makes money and there is not middleman getting the retail markup like "Caleb's" gets when you buy from "Japonski". Does kuiu look desperate for running this ad? Maybe
Are brick and mortar stores desperately trying to remain relevant in the technology age? Absolutely. Why the hell should I pay cabela's a bunch more money for something, when I can buy it with a few click on the interwebs and it will show up on my front porch in a couple days?
Direct sales aren't going away. They are only going to gain market share as those dreaded millennials get older and get more disposable income.

Hell, I like Scheels and sometimes buy there just because the service is impeccable and the staff is knowledgeable. But I've also been guilty of using them... going in there and looking at something or trying it on, and buying it for half price on my cell phone literally from the parking lot. I like them, but I don't always like them enough to spend an entire day's worth of work on some big ticket item.

I don't look at this as a kuiu vs sitka battle near as much as I look at it as a battle for the future as far as branding strategy and product delivery goes.

If not for big, nanny state government keeping them relevant, Uber and Lyft would have already killed traditional taxi service.
Direct sales will do the same to box stores, whether it be Cabelas or Macy's (look at Sear's Stock) et al if they don't adapt.

All that being said, I'd personally like to see civility between the brands. The ad probably could have been put together without making it look like a hit on Sitka directly, but more of a this model vs that model, comparison.
I like both company's products and know and like people at both companies

In the cutthroat world of marketing/sales, I think this is an effective ad. Would I go toe-toe like this myself, prob not. Kuiu's direct customer model certainly cuts out the retail mark up, I don't know if they can substantiate the claim that Sitka uses inferior materials. I'd like to see something backing that up.
I do know I don't like paying Sitka prices (my stuff is secondhand or super deals), but I also don't like gear quitting on me on the mountain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back