Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rain gear, Raingear, why is this so difficult?

Shangobango

I am quickly realizing that there is no one size fits all solution for me on the rain gear front. I have come to the rather annoying conclusion that I am going to have to have up to 3 sets of raingear to check all the boxes.

Am I missing something out there?

#1- A lightweight, packable, light duty rain gear for pop up showers and wind protection on backpack hunts and hikes

#2- A more durable but still lightweight and packable set of rain gear that is still relatively lightweight but will stand some brush busting.

#3- A quiet set of rain gear for archery. I already have a Scentlok set that does a pretty good job here. The problem is the packability and breathability are lacking.

#4- A relatively heavy set of rain gear that can handle extended rain and downpours. Still needs to be as light and quiet as possible. I have some Helly Hansen rubberized stuff that is bombproof but man it is heavy and has zero breathability.

I have searched quite extensively through hunting brands, ( First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu, etc.) and also through more hiking and backpacking related brands, ( Arc'terx, REI, OR). I just can't seem to find pieces that check more than a couple of the boxes.

What solutions have you all found?

Last edited:
I picked up a Stone Glacier M5 jacket a couple weeks ago. Probably work for the conditions I may encounter.

Usually wouldn't worry about it where I live/hunt, but purchased for an AK trip I will be taking in Aug. If you are looking for something a bit heavier, M7 might be worth looking in to?

I have not found a light weight set that does not leak in a NM monsoon.
Have had a cabellas gore tex set I got as a Ranger 25 years ago and it keeps me pretty dry still. Needs new suspenders and spray down after a wash.
My Gander Mtn waterfowl parka is 30+years old and still bombproof. Noisy as hell.
I gave away my HH set when I moved from the coast. It always made me sweat, even driving a tractor in the rain. Sounded like train hiking in BC,and I was soaked from sweat.

I am quickly realizing that there is no one size fits all solution for me on the rain gear front. I have come to the rather annoying conclusion that I am going to have to have up to 3 sets of raingear to check all the boxes.

Am I missing something out there.

#1- A lightweight, packable, light duty rain gear for pop up showers and wind protection on backpack hunts and hikes

#2- A more durable but still lightweight and packable set of rain gear that is still relatively lightweight but will stand some brush busting.

#3- A quiet set of rain gear for archery. I already have a Scentlok set that does a pretty good job here. The problem is the packability and breathability are lacking.

#4- A relatively heavy set of rain gear that can handle extended rain and downpours. Still needs to be as light and quiet as possible. I have some Helly Hansen rubberized stuff that is bombproof but man it is heavy and has zero breathability.

I have searched quite extensively through hunting brands, ( First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu, etc.) and also through more hiking and backpacking related brands, ( Arc'terx, REI, OR). I just can't seem to find pieces that check more than a couple of the boxes.

Absolutely for your #1 and to some extent your #2, I use a very fast drying, very breathable wind shirt. Many 4-10oz options that cover a huge array of temp and light precip conditions. In mixed conditions, fast drying is worth a lot.

Directly speaking to your #2, something like the OR Helium is decent and cheap. I consider somehting in this niche semi disposable. If you want to get into the mid price range, Patagonia Storm10 and OR Foray are decent examples.

For most people, I think a very light windshirt with a decent DWR and a 15-17 oz. very reliable, fairly durable shell is a great option-set that is very functional for 99% of conditions. I used to not really care much about pit zips; on a jacket like this I think they're extremely valuable. The tougher face fabrics do a number on breathabilty, regardless of membrane tech.

Many opinions out there, YMMV. Anyone who says there is a single best solution is lying.

I have the Kuiu Chugach and it is a mix of your #2 through #4. Not exceptional at any of them but your not going to get much better than it for #2 or #3. I've been in some pretty heavy rain (but not all day downpours) and done some off trail bushwhacking in the Chugach and it held up well. It probably spends more time in my pack than being worn though.

If you are really going to be busting brush and out in a downpour all day then you are going to have to step up to something heavier. Lightweight and packable doesn't match up with extended downpours and walking through brush.

I have the Kuiu Chugach and it is a mix of your #2 through #4. Not exceptional at any of them but your not going to get much better than it for #2 or #3. I've been in some pretty heavy rain (but not all day downpours) and done some off trail bushwhacking in the Chugach and it held up well. It probably spends more time in my pack than being worn though.

If you are really going to be busting brush and out in a downpour all day then you are going to have to step up to something heavier. Lightweight and packable doesn't match up with extended downpours and walking through brush.
I have the same I bought from Jason Hairiston himself in the Dixon location a couple weeks after it opened. It is as good as anything I've had up to this point.

FWIW, i wasn't trying to be flippant necessarily. i was more making the point that there is indeed no one size fits all and there's no reason to overcomplicate it.

i like simplicity. much of the time if the rain is brutal enough i'll be back in the tent anyway. i probably won't be trying to stalk elk with a bow while it's currently raining hard, so i don't really care about quiet.

i just have a basic solid rain jacket that keeps the water off me and i just can't see that not being sufficient 99% of the time.

Honestly, I probably have 10 rain jackets/tops that I use depending..

I just got a Kuiu chugach jacket that I haven't tried yet, but plan to this summer. If i lived in AK, i'd have more of an arsenal.

I just realized that I never replaced my raingear after the fire. But I've turned into a fair-weather hunter in my old age anyway, so I'm good

If you want to stay dry, stay out of the rain. This is our gear when we were hunting Grizzlies in Alaska, hanging up to dry out. No breathable seems to work as well as Helly Hanson rain gear, but you can get wet from the inside out with that stuff too...

Rain Gear in Alaska.png

Also, thus far, between the months of September and December while hunting in colorado I can’t think of a less used item in my hunting backpack than the rain jacket

Rain gear is very location dependent

honestly the mountain west is usually just on fire in September

Real outdoorsman that work and play deep into the outback need at least 2 of everything including chest waders, hip boots.

Have at least 10 coats/jackets/pants each depending on the weather.

We are wimps compared to the pre gore tex days.

I tell women I'm a meteorologist, I'm able to look into their eyes and tell weather.

Last edited:
Also, thus far, between the months of September and December while hunting in colorado I can’t think of a less used item in my hunting backpack than the rain jacket

How about on your spring bear hunts? Oops, my bad. :D :p

True, except when something like a Gulf hurricane fuels the Sept. monsoon. Especially in the southern part of the state.

Am I missing something out there?

I have a set of sitka downpour, a grundens jacket, Arcteryx Beta SL hybrid, and Arteryx Beta SV... so yeah...

I think the Beta SV can work for #2 and #4 and is a bit overkill for #1 but doable.

Last edited:
I have found a set of "lightweight" rain gear isnt for me. Most of my days outdoors i dont have true rain events its usually passing shower or prolonged moisture like a snow storm. I have found most of my premium hunting outerlayers(sitka/kuiu) are fairly water resistant and i do treat them regularly. So for me early season i have/wear a sitka mountain jacket daily as both rain and wind protection, as temps cool i wear kuiu guide jaclet or sitka jetstream and all offer some basic water resistance that works for most days. Now when it is going to be crappy all day rain or snow or if i am going into backcountry with a bad forecast i wear my yukon set, its what i like the best for being active in wet weather. It allows proper layering and breathability better than anything i have found and its durable. I had spent a lot of days on hikes only to get wet from the inside and not rain/snow while wearing rain gear and found this is by far best for my style.

Rain gear and boots are very simular lessons for me, its more likely i get wet from sweat than elements so quality of layers matter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back