Kudu Ears--OMOT--On my own taxidermy

thegamegtr

On my 11th animal--On My Own--Just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get the ear liners (huge) into through to base of the ear (tiny). I know, I know I am opening myself up to some creative comments---but I am in need of some advice. Thanks

I dont like recomending other sites here but you might want to try taxidermy.net forums there is alot of guys over there that do this everyday.Hope this helps good luck!

Cartilage Replacement Earliners by Joe Ferebee--Mckenzie Taxidermy. They are hard plastic liners. I have trimmed them down to match the cartilage. I have not tried to place them in, just out of fear that they might tear through at the ear butt. I took that advice to go to the taxidermy site, and a fellow mentioned to turn the ear half way out and them pull it over the liner. This sounds like it might work. Thanks for your advice, and any that may still be out there. Wade

if you have FAIL at getting them in, maybe don't even use them and use bondo. The Taxi that does my tanning of capes for me never uses liners, and I watched taxi training videos that do the same. They take bondo, thin it with a little figerglass resin and add the hardener, mix, and then inject into the ears with a tool they made from a large seringe (spelling, hypo needle thingy) that has the whole end cut off where the needle would thread on. You do one at a time until your good at shapping the ears and then you can try and do both.
FWIW, I do the bondo thing too, but i do it in combination with an ear liner that has a bunch of holes drilled in it. Yea the ears are a tad thicker but on a non-competition mount no one will really tell on the wall.

I wouldn't use bondo if the cartilage is already out. That's a serious PITA. Try heating them up with a heat gun if you have one. Then roll them up and put them in. Reshape once you get them in place. May or may not work. Those are some really stiff liners. If you decide to give up on those, try the ones from Matuska by Gary Zehner. They roll up easy on their own and are still strong enough to maintain shape.

Best of luck

Thanks everyone! Got them in. Set them in some hot water for a couple of minutes to soften them up. Had I not already broke the one liner it would have went off without a hitch. However, the fletching glue did not hold up very well. I am babysitting the ears right now, trying to keep the crack in the liner from showing itself off. Definately would want to purchase a more flexible ear for an animal that has the DUMBO thing going. Thanks Again. I will post pictures if he makes it into the trophy room. If he resides in the shop, he won't be making any photo opps! :D

Got him done! I don't have a taxidermy shop--but if I did, I would call it "10 foot taxidermy"--as long as you are 10 or more feet away, they look great:D If you stuck a flashlight up his nose, you would probably be dissapointed. Anyway, thanks for the help on the earliners.

Attachments

• DSCF3866.jpg
    DSCF3866.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCF3864 (458x640).jpg
    DSCF3864 (458x640).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 304
Looks like you did an awesome job to me. Do any other African animals? Had mine done in Africa. Did an o.k. job but had my second trip animals done here. Looks like yours had a better hide then mine.

Attachments

• CIMG1738_0021.jpg
    CIMG1738_0021.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 230
Thanks for the comments! I have done two spingboks (good lookin animals), and two blesboks (ugly--God's fault though). We just got started on an impala, and have a Gemsbok left. Then we will have to go back to Africa and re-supply:D I am getting started on my daughters bear this week. It will be my first full body mount. I figure it will be good practice for when I shoot my sheep next year--it is a random draw and it has pretty poor odds--I should be a shoe in.

Back