Taxidermy School Inquiry

Watts307

Hey Folks,

Trying to find out if anyone has been to the Pro Mount School of Taxidermy, in Billings.

I am interested in becoming a taxidermist, if I am lucky maybe even full time. Mainly looking to do something in a field I enjoy and can keep me from starring at a computer screen for 8+ hours a day for the next 40 years.

I am located down in Wyoming so I am not to far away. I noticed it is one of the most expensive schools here out West. Other schools seem to charge sometimes half as much but there extra fees and costs included as you go it seems to me from my research. So just weighing my options of an all inclusive or not type of deal, plus since I am closer it may be better, allowing me to travel home on the weekends.

Appreciate any advice or insight on someone who has graduated the school and your thoughts or just any taxidermist in general. I have been told it is not necessary and you can learn as you go in a shop, but I am weighing the time spent and the learning curve of a full time 8-5 M-F trade like school compared to working and paying dues in a shop. If I was a young teenager then I would give it more thought but time is flying!

Thank You.

Just my 2 cents.

I would find someone to get 1 on 1 training with. That is the route I took.

Those schools seem to cram in too much too fast IMO. Find a master taxidermist and go train with them. It really speeds up the learning curve.

Start in 1 area like game heads for example. Join your state taxidermy association and go compete in the professional division. If you're good enough to be competitive in the pro division then your good enough to charge for your work. You'll learn a lot competing and going to seminars at your states convention.

Not everyone can do it. You can learn the process but you still need to have some artistic talent.

You need to have a passion for it because you will not get rich.

You need to be able to run a business and buy materials wisely. Especially these days with ridiculous shipping costs.

Take your time and don't put your shingle out too soon. If you turn out sub par work your new career will be over before it starts.

Do the school. Anyone working for a taxidermist will tell you they’re learning from the owner, who went to school. Lol don’t be the learner, be the teacher. Go to the school. Good luck

Just my 2 cents.

I would find someone to get 1 on 1 training with. That is the route I took.

Those schools seem to cram in too much too fast IMO. Find a master taxidermist and go train with them. It really speeds up the learning curve.

Start in 1 area like game heads for example. Join your state taxidermy association and go compete in the professional division. If you're good enough to be competitive in the pro division then your good enough to charge for your work. You'll learn a lot competing and going to seminars at your states convention.

Not everyone can do it. You can learn the process but you still need to have some artistic talent.

You need to have a passion for it because you will not get rich.

You need to be able to run a business and buy materials wisely. Especially these days with ridiculous shipping costs.

Take your time and don't put your shingle out too soon. If you turn out sub par work your new career will be over before it starts.
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

I have my states taxidermy info saved on my computer and will begin the process of joining today.

I have reached out to a few shops in town and haven't had to much luck, a few businesses seem to be self employed one man shows and some I found online just don't seem to be in business anymore.

I think I'm gonna start small like a few people have suggested. Maybe going to a school later when I have a better foundation may be more beneficial to absorb all the info. The school in Billings is $11,000 though which is a big bill. However I am seeing small classes and trainings the more I research and think that may be a better route.

I appreciate the advice!

Do the school. Anyone working for a taxidermist will tell you they’re learning from the owner, who went to school. Lol don’t be the learner, be the teacher. Go to the school. Good luck
That's a good way of looking at it. I will take that into consideration. I appreciate it.

Like said above, go and work for a taxidermist

Like said above, go and work for a taxidermist.
I'm not necessarily saying work for a taxidermist.

I paid for 2 weeks of 1 on 1 with a taxidermist that has been in business for 30 years. It cost me a third of the school you mentioned above.

I've seen 1 case locally where a guy went to one of those schools that teach birds, gameheads, mammals, and fish in 8 weeks. He came home and started taking in everything and he's not good at any of it. I mean it's hard to look at.

I know of another taxidermist that's in my state association that went to the same school. Afterwards he started working for another taxidermist a couple years in and joined the association and his work has improved to the point that he has moved up to masters. AND he only does gameheads. So 6 of 8 weeks at least were wasted time and money.

All that being said I'm sure there are good schools out there, and the school I mentioned above is, but you can't beat 1 on 1.

I competed for a few years before I took in any client work. I had another business, so I transitioned slowly. I specialize in gameheads and bobcats, and if I can stay busy with those then I'm happy because I enjoy them.

Whichever route you go, keep learning afterwards. That's the important thing.

My daughter had tough luck with one school in Western Montana that was a genuine ripoff but it has since changed hands so I won't name names. However, I have also heard some horror stories from students and tanneries re another "school" in Thompson Falls. Most taxidermists I've spoken to since her debacle say the same thing: you'll get more from the CDs that are sold than the schools. The schools usually try to teach too much in too little time and charge way too much. There's also several taxidermist forums that are very helpful. My daughter has made lots of connections through the internet that have been immensely helpful. One thing that has hurt the reputation of the schools is Veterans Affairs has recognized these outfits as legitimate secondary education, qualifying them to rake in GI Bill etc. So shady operations can keep hanging on because the VA doesn't keep track of what's going on. They just write the checks.

My daughter had tough luck with one school in Western Montana that was a genuine ripoff but it has since changed hands so I won't name names. However, I have also heard some horror stories from students and tanneries re another "school" in Thompson Falls. Most taxidermists I've spoken to since her debacle say the same thing: you'll get more from the CDs that are sold than the schools. The schools usually try to teach too much in too little time and charge way too much. There's also several taxidermist forums that are very helpful. My daughter has made lots of connections through the internet that have been immensely helpful. One thing that has hurt the reputation of the schools is Veterans Affairs has recognized these outfits as legitimate secondary education, qualifying them to rake in GI Bill etc. So shady operations can keep hanging on because the VA doesn't keep track of what's going on. They just write the checks.
Thank you...starting small will probably be my route for now.

I'm not necessarily saying work for a taxidermist.

I paid for 2 weeks of 1 on 1 with a taxidermist that has been in business for 30 years. It cost me a third of the school you mentioned above.

I've seen 1 case locally where a guy went to one of those schools that teach birds, gameheads, mammals, and fish in 8 weeks. He came home and started taking in everything and he's not good at any of it. I mean it's hard to look at.

I know of another taxidermist that's in my state association that went to the same school. Afterwards he started working for another taxidermist a couple years in and joined the association and his work has improved to the point that he has moved up to masters. AND he only does gameheads. So 6 of 8 weeks at least were wasted time and money.

All that being said I'm sure there are good schools out there, and the school I mentioned above is, but you can't beat 1 on 1.

I competed for a few years before I took in any client work. I had another business, so I transitioned slowly. I specialize in gameheads and bobcats, and if I can stay busy with those then I'm happy because I enjoy them.

Whichever route you go, keep learning afterwards. That's the important thing.
Thanks for the info. I think the 1 on 1 and starting small is best. I do like the idea of choosing what you take in for work. Especially if you have skill in one area but maybe don't enjoy or have a knack for certain style or area of expertise.

I think you should work for a reputable taxi for a while and then go to school if you think you still need to. Learn the basics from a pro and get a feel for if you really like it. Then go to a school to learn the new techniques and methods that have been developed since your mentor went to school.

I worked for a taxidermist for two years through college. One warning, you'll sacrifice a lot of prime hunting time working in that field, since that's your busiest time.

Hey Folks,

Trying to find out if anyone has been to the Pro Mount School of Taxidermy, in Billings.

I am interested in becoming a taxidermist, if I am lucky maybe even full time. Mainly looking to do something in a field I enjoy and can keep me from starring at a computer screen for 8+ hours a day for the next 40 years.

I am located down in Wyoming so I am not to far away. I noticed it is one of the most expensive schools here out West. Other schools seem to charge sometimes half as much but there extra fees and costs included as you go it seems to me from my research. So just weighing my options of an all inclusive or not type of deal, plus since I am closer it may be better, allowing me to travel home on the weekends.

Appreciate any advice or insight on someone who has graduated the school and your thoughts or just any taxidermist in general. I have been told it is not necessary and you can learn as you go in a shop, but I am weighing the time spent and the learning curve of a full time 8-5 M-F trade like school compared to working and paying dues in a shop. If I was a young teenager then I would give it more thought but time is flying!

Thank You.
What did you ever come up with? That school has some amazing reviews very small classes and you get to keep all those specimens and it's 6 weeks? They have in Instagram too.

What did you ever come up with? That school has some amazing reviews very small classes and you get to keep all those specimens and it's 6 weeks? They have in Instagram too.
Well. I came up with the fact that bills suck and I needed to pay some debt down before taking on anymore. I acquired a white tail doe cape and have a list of items to buy for learning. I have also done 3 euro mounts on game I got this year so far and learning my way through that style has been fun. The school is an option but not on the horizon with current bills and planning our wedding. However I have met one of our local taxidermists that makes our jackalopes we sell at my work. I also realized he is my fiancés coworkers uncle and runs the place. Small world. I intend on supplying him with rabbit hides this winter so maybe that is my next step in the process to maybe helping out.

Back