Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Kodiak Surprise

glass eye

Seeing how I drew g00se eggs this fall and no hits on my cc from AZ. I pulled the trigger on buying airfare to Kodiak ( never been there) but first I called my wife to ask if there was anything on her calendar that I had to attend.
She says. " Just Oct 9 we have to attend a Quinceanera, are you buying your flight to Kodiak ? include me, I want to go.
I guess she's overcoming her fear of bears, crashing waves, and cold weather.

Nice @glass eye!! Yeah my +1 surprises me every now and then with what she wants to do. Backed the SxS out of the garage the other day and she asked what I was up to. Said going over to the range (our little target shooting area is just up the road) she says hang on a minute and the next thing I know I’m waiting to shoot cuz I’ve got this lol:94B731FC-02B1-41CA-B8A4-FF33BB23640B.jpeg
She shot three different pistols and also my .17HMR before I got to crack a round🤷🏻‍♂️

Just more meat for you Wally👍🏻
Took me a couple of tries to do it right but in the realm of marriage I def pulled a OIL with her!!
Thanks Marv. Me too!

Like they say, if at first you don't succeed, try try again.

Kodiak is a great place to be in the fall. Ducks ,deer, silvers and dollies. Oh, almost forgot - bears, too.

Make sure you bring plenty of bug nets for your face and SD cards for the camera. If the wind is still and you get a warm up in October you will have black flies all over. No place like Kodiak and I agree with ashersdad on going back. Little time goes without me between thinking about returning someday. I hope you and the wife enjoy the trip.

@NoKidsAfter40 Thanks, hadn't thought about bug nets for late October.
I had an encounter with a black fly when I was 16 hitchhiking in the interior of Alaska. It was a warm summer day and I was wearing shorts and flip flops. I had been shooing away a pesky black fly that I thought had finally left me alone, but then I felt something wet on my foot. I looked down and saw that it was blood flowing down my leg and onto my foot. There was the black fly eating a hole into my leg just below my knee where I have a skin graft that is insensitive to pain, no feeling there.

Last edited:
@NoKidsAfter40 Thanks, hadn't thought about bug nets for late October.
I had an encounter with a black fly when I was 16 hitchhiking in the interior of Alaska. It was a warm summer day and I was wearing shorts and flip flops. I had been shooing away a pesky black fly that I thought had finally left me alone, but then I felt something wet on my foot. I looked down and saw that it was blood flowing down my leg and onto my foot. There was the black fly eating a hole into my leg just below my knee where I have a skin graft that is insensitive to pain, no feeling there.
Lucky you didn't feel it. Probably a "whitesox" fly and their bite HURTS. Kinda like a wasp or hornet sting.

Kodiak is by far my favorite place to travel for hunting/fishing. Headed there in Nov. 2022 for deer and ducks. I love hunting ducks off the road system after we return from the deer hunt. Hope you have a great adventure!

Kodiak is by far my favorite place to travel for hunting/fishing. Headed there in Nov. 2022 for deer and ducks. I love hunting ducks off the road system after we return from the deer hunt. Hope you have a great adventure!
Same plan here. I had planned on going in early November but I was waiting on the Arizona draw results and by then the miles required went up. So I'm going in late October instead.
I've taken plenty of sea ducks in Alaska (except for King and Pacific Eider) so I'm more focused on deer and foxes. A mature Whitewing Scoter drake is high on my list.
Maybe next time I'll buy my mileage tickets earlier when the price is right.....12.5k each way.

Nice @glass eye!! Yeah my +1 surprises me every now and then with what she wants to do. Backed the SxS out of the garage the other day and she asked what I was up to. Said going over to the range (our little target shooting area is just up the road) she says hang on a minute and the next thing I know I’m waiting to shoot cuz I’ve got this lol:View attachment 187589
She shot three different pistols and also my .17HMR before I got to crack a round🤷🏻‍♂️
Have her get that support hand up higher with her thumb pointed down the bottom of the slide.

Yep, good call👍🏻 We actually worked through some form after she got used to just sound/recoil/etc (Pictured above) Was interesting to see her different comfort levels between shooting a semi vs a revolver plus having recorded them I could point out the thing (as you mentioned) to work on. She gets to go new gun shopping next week and I believe has settled on the S&W 9mm Shield EZ

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back