Kodiak Mtn Goat

wtrfwlhunter

I’m lucky enough to have a brother who is an AK resident officially as of this year. We are lining up a Kodiak mountain goat hunt and obviously we are extremely excited. I’ve done a ton of research on what’s available, but of course am looking for every bit of info or experience so can get my hands on. This will be my first time hunting Alaska and a first chasing any big three animal. To say that I’m pumped is an understatement.

I hate posting unit specifics or other searchable names. If anybody has hunted Kodiak before it’d be great to chat. And regardless, hunt report to follow in October.

Take lots of pictures! Kodiak is the one place I regret not getting to.

Lots of fun!

Lots of fun!

Sent you a message, would love to chat with you about your experience!

I did a similar thing a few years ago after my brother moved there. My trip was a boat based hunt and we used a transporter. We went for deer and goats which in the end was maybe too ambitious because we only have ourself two days for the goats but we had to literally climb from sea level to the mountain top with our camping stuff which was just brutal. The vegetation in our area (near Larsen Bay) was really thick on that climb. I can pm you more if you’re interested. I also wrote about it on hunttalk too:

Good luck. It’s an awesome place and great adventure.

I did a similar thing a few years ago after my brother moved there. My trip was a boat based hunt and we used a transporter. We went for deer and goats which in the end was maybe too ambitious because we only have ourself two days for the goats but we had to literally climb from sea level to the mountain top with our camping stuff which was just brutal. The vegetation in our area (near Larsen Bay) was really thick on that climb. I can pm you more if you’re interested. I also wrote about it on hunttalk too:

Good luck. It’s an awesome place and great adventure.
Nice write up, thanks for the response. I’d be curious to know what kind of elevations and habitat you were finding the deer in that time of year? I think we are going just a week later than you did from Oct 8 - 18. Also, on your hike up the mountain you mentioned the brutal brush, if you draw it out on satellite image about how far did you bushwhack? I’ve been trying to figure out what reasonable distances to even think about traveling are on Kodiak considering the brush etc.

I hunted goat on Kodiak 5 years ago. We had a float plane drop us on a high mountain lake so we didn't have to hike from the ocean. Honestly almost made it too easy in my opinion. Deer were quite a bit lower in elevation. In this area, would have been difficult to do both on the same trip. Regardless, Kodiak is an amazing place. I've hunted there 4 times and would go every year if I could.

Good rain gear will be a necessity. I use Frogg Toggs camo but not sure it would be tough enough for that hunt. These days I usually take only the jacket when I hunt Montana and wear my much tougher Park Service uniform goretex rainpants as needed. The jacket is "breathable" and works well as an outer layer. Looking forward to hearing how your trip works out.

I hunted goat on Kodiak 5 years ago. We had a float plane drop us on a high mountain lake so we didn't have to hike from the ocean. Honestly almost made it too easy in my opinion. Deer were quite a bit lower in elevation. In this area, would have been difficult to do both on the same trip. Regardless, Kodiak is an amazing place. I've hunted there 4 times and would go every year if I could.

Were you in RG480?

Nice write up, thanks for the response. I’d be curious to know what kind of elevations and habitat you were finding the deer in that time of year? I think we are going just a week later than you did from Oct 8 - 18. Also, on your hike up the mountain you mentioned the brutal brush, if you draw it out on satellite image about how far did you bushwhack? I’ve been trying to figure out what reasonable distances to even think about traveling are on Kodiak considering the brush etc.
In retrospect, I would’ve just picked deer or goats and if goats, used the plane to get me up there. The hike was about 3300 vertical feet and probably 4-5 miles. It’s easily the hardest thing I ever did physically. Some of the pics in my thread show the dense jungle. We were there the first week of October which probably didn’t help since all the foliage still had complete leaf cover. Maybe later would’ve been easier . Living on that boat was nicer than camping tho, we could have a hot meal. Got to take a shower once that week which was nice and we could bottom fish of we didn’t wanna hunt. In the end tho, I can shoot deer in Montana easily so do kind of regret not going after goats in a more dedicated fashion since I’ve yet to draw a Montana resident tag and that’s a bucket list animal to me. Good luck!!

Well things just took another turn for the exciting!

My brother and I drew limited entry goat tags for DG474 - Uganik. Back to the drawing board on the planning side! Not sure how Alaskas draw works but they list the odds of drawing around 8% I believe. First "hard" to draw tag I've ever drawn.

Well things just took another turn for the exciting!

My brother and I drew limited entry goat tags for DG474 - Uganik. Back to the drawing board on the planning side! Not sure how Alaskas draw works but they list the odds of drawing around 8% I believe. First "hard" to draw tag I've ever drawn.
Good luck. Looking forward to reading about it

Looking forward to hearing about your hunt! I’m headed to Kodiak for Sitka blacktails in the fall. My first time heading to Kodiak and I cannot wait.

474 is a great tag. Lots of lakes to choose from for landing spots. Drew it in 2019 and used Sea Hawk air to fly us into a high lake above the brush. Highly recommend Roland, he knows his stuff when it comes to putting you on the goats. He even did a couple circles of the area for us to look things over at no extra cost! I went last week of September. We saw probably 50ish goats in 5 days, lots of billies and a few really nice ones. My billy was 5 years old and 9.5" horns. Got him about 2 miles from where we got dropped off.

Attachments

• goat1.jpg
    goat1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 43
  • goat2.jpg
    goat2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 32
  • goat3.jpg
    goat3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 35
  • goat4.jpg
    goat4.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 38
  • goat5.jpg
    goat5.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 43
  • goat6.jpg
    goat6.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
474 is a great tag. Lots of lakes to choose from for landing spots. Drew it in 2019 and used Sea Hawk air to fly us into a high lake above the brush. Highly recommend Roland, he knows his stuff when it comes to putting you on the goats. He even did a couple circles of the area for us to look things over at no extra cost! I went last week of September. We saw probably 50ish goats in 5 days, lots of billies and a few really nice ones. My billy was 5 years old and 9.5" horns. Got him about 2 miles from where we got dropped off.
Man, these are great photos. Gets me really excited, would love to chat with you about your trip!

Wife and daughter both drew 474 this year. We're heading out in a few days. Very excited!!! When do you plan on going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back