Knife confessions

I have the same one and love it!

I have lost many a knives but only one was hunting related. Lost a few spydercos while doing tree work and that got expensive.

I blacksmithed my own knife in new Zealand and loved it. Finished processing a deer on my FILā€™s farm and set it on the bumper. I still get upset when I think about it.

I have the sharpeners and can use them but hunting I take my gerber ebs and pink tyto. And my edc is a pink benchmade. Iā€™m all about not losing knives!

I have a crappy habbit of leaving stuff where I shouldn't. Like in tall grass or on a carcass I'm about to flip over halfway through doing the gutless method.

After having lost several knives, I now use mostly blaze orange knives and always have a back up. I've only lost ONE orange knife since I've made the switch years ago which is pretty good for this guy. As for blades, I use replaceables in the field or sharpen knives when butchering.

One of those ate up a $200 blade in 5 seconds. I stay clear now
Iā€™m not the sharpest tool in the shed (no pun intended) and I can do our entire set of kitchen knives in about 15-20 minutes. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The best results I've had so far is the V sharpener, but I invariably drop and break one of the sharpening sticks. Trying the Work Sharp presently but I can see where I/it could ruin a blade pretty fast (operator error)...

I use a worksharp on everything but my hunting knife...it goes back to Benchmade at the end of every season to be touched up. When doing gutless method it'll last through multiple animals.

well you must be sharper than me (pun intended).
Iā€™m not discounting your experience, just puzzled. My KOA Alpha Wolf knife is a bear to sharpen. With this I can have it shaving sharp in 5-10 minutes, and itā€™ll be good for an elk and a deer. I wonder whatā€™s different?

Iā€™m not discounting your experience, just puzzled. My KOA Alpha Wolf knife is a bear to sharpen. With this I can have it shaving sharp in 5-10 minutes, and itā€™ll be good for an elk and a deer. I wonder whatā€™s different?
The user.

It was at a buddies house, he was raving about how well it worked, I had a helle fillet knife that could use a touching up, I turned the thing on and pulled the knife through one way then the other way, probably too slowly, and probably had too coarse of band on it. Either way 1/4 to 3/8 of the blade was gone, and it was a pretty thin knife to start. It's still usable, so my initial post was an exaggeration, but it definitely took many decades of sharpening off it's life.

Last edited:
The user.

It was at a buddies house, he was raving about how well it worked, I had a helle fillet knife that could you a touching up, I turned the thing on and pulled the knife through one way then the other way, probably too slowly, and probably had to coarse of band on it. Either way 1/4 to 3/8 of the blade was gone, and it was a pretty thin knife to start. It's still usable, so my initial post was an exaggeration, but it definitely took many decades of sharpening off it's life.
They can take a lot of metal off really quick if you're not careful. Your buddy is a goober for not showing you first lol. I never use the coarse belts on a knife (per their recommendations) . If a knife has any bit of an edge it's like 2 - 4 fast pulls through the medium belt and a dozen or so fast pulls on the fine belt. With a filet knife, or anything just needing a minor touch up I'd just go right to the fine belt.

Last edited:
D2 or 440c?

When doing gutless method it'll last through multiple animals.

See my problem is my regular knife will last a season if I'm just using it to remove meat from the critter... but like last season I rugged out a bear and a goat and removed the skulls from each in the field + boned out everything.

My edge is super dull by the time I get through that, so for a while I was carrying a havalon and a normal knife and then using the havalon to deal with the hide and skull. Then I was just like... what do I gain here now I just carry a couple more blades and I'm good to go.

Terrible at it as well. Worksharp has worked well for me. So has sending my knife back into Benchmade for their free sharpening service at the end of the season.

My knife confession is this: I dont believe that you can have steel "so good" that you can break down multiple elk sized animals without sharpening and still have a hair shaving edge when your done. I may be wrong but I would have to see it first hand to believe it. Also, not looking to argue. lol
I don't know about two elk, but I've done it with one elk. S30V is good stuff. Probably depends on how careful you are about skinning and deboning stuff...

Back