Caribou Gear Tarp

Knife confessions

The Lansky system is an easy foolproof way to sharpen knives.

This is exactly what I use, but next to impossible to use in the field if a blade dulls. I carry a cheap pull through for those instances and then repair the damage once I'm home again with the Lansky.

I stayed away from the replaceable for a long time. I've been using a Vital for awhile. Took some getting used to, but I can carve up a critter as fast as Dexter does. mtmuley

I've learned to just time my RMEF renewal to get a new hunting knife every year.

My guilty admission: I can't sharpen a knife with a stone or stick. I carry this guilt as my dad managed Queen Cutlery Knife Co for 20 years. When my knives were dull as a kid I just handed them to dad and he took them to work. Now I hide the fact from him that I use a replaceable blade knife and own a WorkSharp - I don't know which would crush him more....

I stayed away from the replaceable for a long time. I've been using a Vital for awhile. Took some getting used to, but I can carve up a critter as fast as Dexter does. mtmuley
But even faster and more of them without sharpening if you had the BenchMade Steep country. There is no better knife made in the universe. In my opinion. I have tried literally dozens of knives. Last year 4 elk without sharpening. This year 3 and it was looking for more. While I take pride in knowing the old fashioned lost art of sharpening knives, Benchmade does it for life for free.

I too learned from my granddad. Oilstones and a steel to finish. I keep a diamond rod in my pack out of habit.
I dropped my hard stone a few years ago and made a new one on the tile saw using a basalt river rock.

I used to carry a bunch of knive for elk, Now I have have a little EDC Gerber and an Outdoor Edge. I re-sharpen all the Outdoor Edge inserts. I keep a dozen in the sheath with the knife.

If any of you want to gift me a Big Fin Gerber, I would sharpen all your blades. ;)

My guilty admission: I can't sharpen a knife with a stone or stick. I carry this guilt as my dad managed Queen Cutlery Knife Co for 20 years. When my knives were dull as a kid I just handed them to dad and he took them to work. Now I hide the fact from him that I use a replaceable blade knife and own a WorkSharp - I don't know which would crush him more....
I resemble this comment. My dad was a butcher for 37 years and everyone of his knives was always razor sharp. And now I struggle to keep a good edge on a knife.

Two things I regret, not having him teach me to sharpen a knife and not paying close attention when I would help him with any butchering.

I use a Lansky to put the finished edge on all the knives I make/sell. I use my belt grinder to put the unfinished edge on, then finish with the Lanksy. In the kitchen I have a 3 year old cleaver that I made from an old saw blade of 8670 steel. I use it every day to cut, cleave, slice, mince, etc basically it is my go to. Since putting the finished edge on 3 years ago all it takes is two or three stroked on a butchers steel to bring it right back to razor. 8670 is super tough but will stain/etch/tarnish very easy. You can't even stop it. Gives the blade character.

I use 8670 in all my skinner knives as well. The most animals reported to me used in between sharpening were two NM Barbary sheep done on consecutive days full quarter/cape out. I have done two whitetails from field to completely boned out without need for resharpen.

Lots of things go into keeping the edge. Edge geometry, steel, what you are cutting etc..

Holy shit, did mymuley just confirm he's a fan of Dexter?

I've a new Cutco that's never been used...anyone attest to their sharpness longevity?
I don’t know how long they stay sharp but my brother and my old roommate both had to make trips for stitches after using Cutco knives. I sent them a photo last fall showing that it was possible to dress an animal with a Cutco knife without requiring medical attention.

E598A1AC-5D9E-41EE-8036-004A651590D0.jpeg

I don’t know how long they stay sharp but my brother and my old roommate both had to make trips for stitches after using Cutco knives. I sent them a photo last fall showing that it was possible to dress an animal with a Cutco knife without requiring medical attention.

View attachment 208585
Same knife, I've nicked myself a few times taking it out of the sheath.

I did learn from Grandpa & dad to use stones. Knives ,plane blades,axes....everything.
Then I worked filleting fish for 5 years off & on and they got sharp using quality stones. I almost took a thumb off,with the back of the tip. Most of my straight blades still
sport a one side bevel...lol.
This year I touched up my old Uncle Henry on a stone and did a whole cow elk boneless. Again. Never got it on the Arkansas stone either. I touched it up after the initial skin down the middle on the pocket Lansky.
The Gerber vital sat on the dash again.

And I sliced the same spot on my thumb,with the back of the corner on my Fiskars axe last week. You can shave with it....

View attachment 208585
This Cutco Serrated knife is fantastic.

I went down the rabbit hole with custom knives last year. I’d die if I lost one now lol I also use a Lansky and it is foolproof.

Attachments

• 68137BFD-77DC-41F4-AA1D-089B71670904.jpeg
    68137BFD-77DC-41F4-AA1D-089B71670904.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • DF4257EE-9DF9-43C5-9981-FE56664DB3A4.jpeg
    DF4257EE-9DF9-43C5-9981-FE56664DB3A4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
I own multiple knife sharpeners and always trying new stuff lol We butcher deer in the fall for people and doing over 70-150 deer a year it takes its toll on knives. i have the spyderco, lansky, ken onion, and also a norton tristone wet stone. Each has their place. The fastest is the Ken Onion however the amount of lost steel on the knives is crazy. I have some older buck knives and have bought a few like new replacements and the difference in steel size is crazy. That being said i do not use the Ken onion on my expensive kitchen knives. The spyderco tri angle is a happy medium to the wet stone and ken onion IMO i can bring back a blade pretty quickly with that. In the winter when i have more time on my hands i bring out the wet stone. I do not use the Lansky any more i prefer the wet stone but that is a great option for beginners.

I use the outdoor edge when dressing out an animal. If i use the gutless method i will use one of my Buck knives. I have learned to bring a fillet glove with me when field dressing. I put that on then a rubber glove over that. One time seeing a guy cut his finger to the bone was enough for me.

After several seasons butchering deer i think i am going to transition into an electric sharpener like a chefs choice or waring and purchase a good amount of dexter or victorinox knives and save the buck knives for caping deer and keeping on me while hunting. After being a chef for several years and butchering i will say cheap steel seems to sharpen alot faster in those electric sharpeners but the edge doesnt last at all. When my buck knives are sharpened correctly i can usually get 3-6 deer before i have to hone them. But i use 3 different knives on each deer.

The Lansky system is an easy foolproof way to sharpen knives.

I second this. I’ve used one for years with great success

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back