Kifaru Lost Park Parka vs SG Grumman Goose or....

ThunderNocked

I need a better insulation layer then what I've got.
1 I have to many pieces.
2 My pieces aren't working great.

My top choices would be the Grumman Goose or Kifaru. I am not opposed to one of the mountaineering brands. Ideally I'd like to get a DWR or 'waterproof' down. I'm up in Alaska Interior and this will be my Sheep/Spring Bear/Cold Hunt jacket and I don't need Camo. What other jackets for the same or less money should I be looking at for a good packable piece. Thanks!

The kifaru is bulky AF. I was originally sold on it until I saw one. The Cordura is very bulky as is their insulation. It packs down to about the size of a 20deg sleeping bag. It's easily 2x as bulky as any of my puffy.

I have a Brooks Range puffy, a First Lite (least warm) uncompagre and an older down Mountain Hardware. With a couple other layers I'm good to as cold as I want to be out in, with any of them. -20-30

The kifaru is bulky AF. I was originally sold on it until I saw one. The Cordura is very bulky as is their insulation. It packs down to about the size of a 20deg sleeping bag. It's easily 2x as bulky as any of my puffy.

I have a Brooks Range puffy, a First Lite (least warm) uncompagre and an older down Mountain Hardware. With a couple other layers I'm good to as cold as I want to be out in, with any of them. -20-30
What is the Brooks Range puffy!?

my sheep hunting partner had a Mountain Hardware but his didn’t have the hood. I want a hooded one and was looking at their stuff. I know there are other good brands like that that make good stuff. The Kifaru/Stone Glacier/Kuiu/First Light stuff is appealing but I know it isn’t necessary.

I don’t know if the price differences are really that big. Honestly a lot of mountaineering stuff is in that same $250-$300 ball park.

Every puffy I have was less than 100 bucks. The Brooks Range is really warm. But they don't make it anymore. They.make others. Definitely get one with a hood.

FL Uncomphagre

It's easily a top 3 piece from the FL line and a lot would agree. It's a quieter material and warm for it's weight. I never leave home without mine.

Sorry missed that you are going on a cold hunt. FL is great but not a subzero insulation piece.

Look at the UA Ridge Reaper lineup too. They have sales more frequently too.

I've got a Kifaru LPP and Bambistew is correct, it's packs like a pony keg. It's also way too warm for anything early to mid season. I've got a cheap REI down jacket I pack along for that.

But where the LPP does shine is late season, when it's cold and/or wet. The synthetic insulation is all one sheet, and does a pretty damn good job of knocking down the wind as well. Very purpose built, and its awesome for that purpose, but the usefulness decreases away from that purpose.

Patagonia makes great down jackets at 2/3 the price you’ll pay for a down jacket from a “technical hunting gear” company. If you don’t need camo, it makes little sense to buy clothing, etc from FL, SG, Sitka. Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, and others, have been in the high performance mountain gear game a lot longer than most of the companies selling hunting gear.

full disclosure - I have a Patagonia down sweater ($200ish) and the SG Grumman ($329). The Grumman is incredible. Packs down super small, and is incredibly warm. But if you don’t have that kind of budget, the Patagonia is almost just as warm, and packs down (into its pocket) almost just as well. But it is a bit heavier.

Back