Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kids hunting unsupervised

I really hate it when the government has to get involved because I think it is a decision that ideally would be left to the parents. That being said, my dad left me alone to deer hunt when I was 12 and 13 and looking back, I was not ready for that. I've sworn since I've been a parent to not do that to my boys should they decide to hunt. Some kids are ready early and some aren't.

My kid is 14 and had been hunting since he was 10. He's taken several big game animals, and is also one of the safest hunters I know. That being said, there is absolutely no way I would let him hunt unsupervised.

I agree and hate to see laws/govt get involved, setting hard and fast requirements...but...parents have to monitor and be smart about 'when' is right. I too was left out on 1st deer hunts at 12-14, told 'sit here and wait for a deer'.
Like most media coverage the story covers the 'tradigity and worst case'...not researching and presenting past the surface. I noticed Missouri listed...but it doesnt mention that MO holds 'youth only' hunts for many/most game before the regular season. My buddies I have participated MO youth hunts with our kids for 3 seasons now. These hunts focus on the kids, adults must accompany but can not carry weapons...kids only...so the hunt is all about them...teaching them, mentoring them. These hunts have proven to be some of the most satisfying hunts we as adults have been involved in.
I also think there is a big difference between letting kids go out with a .22 or 20 ga 'stalking rabbits' alone and putting them on stand alone during a big game season with a high power weapon.
Just MHO

I killed my first deer by myself when I was 11. When my son was 13, after he had spent 4 seasons hunting with me, I let him hunt by himself. Of course this was in Texas, on private land, hunting out of a stand, so it was a bit different than what was in the article.

The biggest problem my son faces with hunting on his own, is the fact that I enjoy hunting with him to much to not be with him, unless he pratically begs me to let him.:D

this should be a family decision although i do like the minimum age requirement set by the state.

I started hunting birds by myself when i was 12 as soon as the law allowed me to. I had tagged along with family before i could hunt and was observant to gun handling and safety. I did not see anything wrong with it at the time and still don't but i can't say that i would feel that way if i had a youngin that was 12 and wanting to go hunt alone.

I recall hearing about two brothers hunting that were near the same age as me at the time and when they jumped some birds they were swinging horizontal and right when one brother pulled the trigger the other brothers head was in front of the barrel and killed him instantly. Scary stuff.

I think would allow my kids to hunt alone if i felt they were ready and for me to feel that way I would have to spend a lot of time with them in the field with them packing a gun. That's not to say that i will feel this way when the time actually comes.

I agree with most of the posts... it should be the parents decision. However, working in education, I have learned that there are a hell of a lot of parents who make lousy decisions for their kids and themselves. Makes the minimum age requirement a necessity when parents can't make wise decisions.

I remember hunting by myself for small game when I was 12 (rabbits, quail, pheasants). In high school after football practices we'd drive down to the fields, sit behind some hay bails, and shoot doves. It was awesome. But my father would never let me hunt big game by myself... he STILL worries a little when I go alone.

So I think there's a difference between small game (.22, 410, etc) and high powered weapons for big game. Good call Duckhead. As for me being a father of 2 (it will be a long time before they go hunting), I have a hard time thinking about them going out by themselves. A little scary.

Travo started going with me when he was 4 or 5. I walked him to the Box stand with a 5 gallon bucket that had a Blanket and Pillow in it. He would sit on the upturned bucket eating snacks until he got tired, then pull his stuff out and lay down and sleep. He was always so happy when he woke up to BOOM! We started to carry "His" gun when he was 9 or 10 and took his first Buck at 10. After showing me what he was capable of I built a stand 75 yards from mine. If he wanted to hunt alone that was fine, but all he had to do was open the door and whistle and I would be there. When he turned about 12 he kicked me out of my stand and started laying waste to the country side! LOL
By taking my time with Travo he has become a hunter you WANT to be in the woods with. Kids watch the Deer Shows and see all of these deer at feeders and think it is just show up and blow up a deer. It takes time for a Hunter to become a Real Hunter with all of the realities that come with taking a deer.
This is the only sport where a mistake may take a life or the life of the Hunter and we all should monitor the children we introduce into the sport for their time to hunt alone, regardless of what a state might ask of us.
One last story of how I started Deer Hunting. One morning Dad, I and another Father / son went hunting before Hunter Orange was required. I was placed on a trail before daylight and told that it was a Doe day, so watch closely! Ok, we have a 13 year old standing on a trail, daylight and a fog slowly comes, I see a figure walking down the trail....it is an old man wearing a 3/4 length Brown sueade coat! Now I even today say Mam or Sir when addressing older people, but I gave his a butt chewing you would not believe! John

Last edited:
Well I guess I am the odd duck here.

I think there needs to be a minimum age and that those under 16 should have an adult with them at all times during big game seasons, and probably small game as well.

I am a full bore bear hunter and I live in WA state. The incident in the article was reckless and needless and it has long lasting ramifications.

Right now our F&G dept. is trying to find a way to reduce our bear season by 30 days in August to reduce potential hunter/hiker conflicts. They want to chop the season by 1/3 during the only time bear hunters don't have to contend with deer and elk hunters.

If an experienced adult was with those two boys that woman would still be alive.

No, Your not in the minority here. Laws are set by the State, but you are ultimately responsible for putting your kid in a position where these things can't happen. But, that said it could have easily been a 45 year old with 30 years experience that might have shot this woman. John

I started following Dad for Quail and Rabbits (all we had here then) when I was six carrying my trusty Red Rider. He gave me an H&R .410 when I was eight. Allowed me to buy/trade for a Win Pump 20ga when I was 10 and take the dawgs out by myself. Lot of things have changed in the 60 years since I was six!!! Most not too good except for wildlife comeback and distribution.
Started letting boys go Dove and squirrel hunting with me when they were 6. Never let them hunt "unsupervised". Oldest killed his deer , with Hunter Safety Certificate, every year from time he was 10 til he was 16. I admit to violating the one size fits all TN law because we were often well over 2 miles apart in the E TN Mtns.
Guess my answer is, "It depends!"

Well...thank God we live in the good old US of A. With that we as the public own the game, can voice our opinions, exchange ideas, do pretty much as we please (within reason).
All above opinions are good and valid...but as I'm seeing with my daughter just turned 14...I relish every moment I have with her cuz I can see she has a lot of activities pulling to fill her schedule as she goes thru school etc. Must have planted some good seeds though, right now, she still likes to get out with dad for hunting/fishing/camping...so right now she's on a 'hunt with dad only' leash...if even for my own selfish reasons...lol.
Enjoy your kids...they grow way too fast.

A lot of Texas residents object to many public hunting places because they don't wish to risk their adult lives under public hunting conditions. Many of of our public hunts, people are restricted to particular areas for safety. I think its a family decision, based on conditions of the hunt and more supervision is better than less supervision for sure as some have described above.

I let my son wander with a firearm when I am out prairie dog hunting. He is very careful and at age 10, scored 97% on his HUnter Safety Course - one failed by several adults at the same time. He is 11 now, and yeah, he will shoot lizards and grasshoppers - but he is always cognizant of what is a safe shot and what is not. When we go camping on my club's property, he has his .22 rifle on his ATV and a .22 (although lately that has been a .38) revolver on his hip. There are mountain lions, coyotes and rattlesnakes there and I feel better if he is armed.

When I take him out for javelina this winter, I will be at his side. Not because the gun will be larger, but because it is a different sitauation and environment than he has experienced, as well as the level of exceitement will be higher. He is still a kid without the presence of mind of an adult, after all, and what may be second nature normally may not be present under excitement or stress.

Well I guess I am the odd duck here.

I think there needs to be a minimum age and that those under 16 should have an adult with them at all times during big game seasons, and probably small game as well.

I am a full bore bear hunter and I live in WA state. The incident in the article was reckless and needless and it has long lasting ramifications.

Right now our F&G dept. is trying to find a way to reduce our bear season by 30 days in August to reduce potential hunter/hiker conflicts. They want to chop the season by 1/3 during the only time bear hunters don't have to contend with deer and elk hunters.

If an experienced adult was with those two boys that woman would still be alive.

So what about all the other shooting incidents that happen with adults? Just because a few of the MANY shooting deaths occur with a child that makes it a reason to change rules and let government tell us how to live? Many hunters get shot, and the vast, vast majority of them are not by a kid:cool: There are idiots of all ages out there and chances are this kid would have been an unsafe hunter his whole life. food for thought. Any time something happens bad, it is bad, regardless of the age. The natural reaction if it is a kid is to over-react because of emotion.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back