Kansas Whitetails - The Reckoning

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
As I walked out my door this morning to ten inches of fresh snow, I wondered if I will get to Kansas for this hunt. I leave in the morning, and it looks like the Adventure part of OYOA will be the drive to get there.

Spitz was kind enough to join us on this hunt. He and I have been planning a whitetail hunt since the days when he lived in Montana. Knowing how hard it would be to put together a Montana or Idaho whitetail hunt as we had originally planned, we decided to split the difference and head to Kansas.

We applied in May and this summer, found out we drew our first choice. Not sure if it was a good choice, but it was our first choice.

We will be in western Kansas, hunting the Walk-in Hunting Areas. These are properties where private landowners are paid by the KWP to allow public hunting. From my experience two years ago, they do get hammered in this late rifle season, but the deer are there and some nice bucks can be found.

Just need some luck, something that seemed in short supply when I went to Kansas two years ago. Here is the thread of that combined Kansas-Iowa December whitetail hunt.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=242946

Given how windy and miserable it was on that hunt, I am hoping for better weather. Looks like the wind is going to continue, something that makes for huge challenges in TV filming. Some shows don't care about audio, and it shows in their final product. For us, bad audio means bad video, as they are inseparable. Wind makes quality audio very difficult.

It adds to the hunting challenges, also, as whitetails just hunker down when the wind is blowing. Getting them out of their beds involves stepping on them and watching as they explode like Roman Candles from their beds. Again, something that doesn't make for good footage.

I suspect when it is all over, Spitz will politely decline having future hunts encumbered by cameras. But, maybe luck will be on our side and we will shoot two nice bucks on camera.

For me, the first 3.5 year old buck I see will get shot, unless Spitz wants him. If he hesitates for more than a second, he may have hesitated too long.

Should be a great five days of whitetail hunting. Checklist:

-Tag
-License
-Rifle
-Ammo
-Cameras
-Boots
-Cold Gear
-Hip boots and waders
-Flower order for wife
-Spending money

Those are the essentials. Beyond that, anything else is a luxury.

We are staying in luxury this time, so updates should be provided each day. If they have coverage in this remote part of the Plains.

The last Kansas buck who showed up the morning after the cameras left.
IMG_3349.jpg

Best of success, B-Fin / Spitz! Look forward to some good pic's and a season three hit! :)

I really, really do not like wind... and cold, bitter cold wind - vile!

You might as well be ready for the wind, there's a front moving in tomorrow with wind and plummeting temps. I think that Monday and Tuesday have a chance of snow. Some of the archery hunters around here put down some very nice bucks. There are folks around who are afraid that the rut is lasting a little too long and us rifle hunters are going to find easy pickens. I know that Mr. Jordan was here this past week (as he is every year) but I don't know if he had a bingo. I'll be out and around with you Randy, regardless of the weather (got a week off that's dedicated to the pursuit). Good Luck!

Sounds like a heckuva fine crew...best of luck & looking fwd to the updates.

Like they say up here " Dress warm as you can, then add a layer or two". Good luck Fin and Spitz looking forward to the daily reports.

Good luck Randy! The reports i'm getting from the people i know in KS are saying some big ones around! Go get a couple.

best of luck and drive careful Randy, am looking forward to the updates!

hopefully you can bring some of that weather south with you fin. We've been hunting CO for graces buck since wednesday with no luck. Almost 60 degrees today, very little deer movement. Have a safe drive.

This is going to be a great hunt!

I've been able to piece together my moments of gear prep this week after work and between my holiday prep chores. My all too supportive wife informed me that she isn't giving me the keys to the pickup until I got all the Christmas boxes down, got the Christmas tree setup and put the lights up outside.

After I get that finished up tomorrow I should be allowed to head out and meet up with Randy for a couple days of scouting out the WIHAs we've selected as potential hunting areas.

I sure hope I'm not the only one around that get's certifiably OCD prior to a hunt. I find myself unable to think of anything else at work for at least a week prior to a hunt. Then, as the hunt approaches, I feel the need to hike a dozen miles or so just so I can relax and get in the groove. It must mean that I don't do enough hunting. :)

Long messy drive today, and still got a few hundred miles to go. Got a lot of honks when people read this.

IMG_0008.JPG

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back