Kansas Deer - ACT III

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Frantically cleaning my desk and organizing gear for my trip to Kansas. I leave tomorrow morning and will be scouting and hunting by tomorrow afternoon, if United makes my connections.

Going to the same spot Spitz and I hunted last year. Schedules for camera guys forced me to go the last five days of season. Probably not that big of a deal, one way or the other.

We saw some good bucks that escaped us last year. Spoitz shot a great buck. I plan to hike to the way back area where we watched them come from the winter wheat fields and bed on the WIHA grounds. Whether or not they will, who knows.

But, it is fun to be doing something in December that involves deer, gun powder, and a tag in my pocket. Hoping my Wyoming trip has shaken the jinx I had going for a while. I guess time will tell.

I should have reception and with my Droid and Xoom, hope to provide in the field updates, along with nightly recaps of the day's events.

Extra chilly this front end of the week. First time the temps have been to zero overnight in NW Kansas. Lots less cover in the CRP fields than last year anywhere south of I-70, and the further west you go, the less moisture over the entirety of the year. Hope you get into them again. Looking forward to the reports.

Randy,

New member here. Good luck on the hunt. Do you have any tech info on the camera gear you run? My daughter shot her first deer on Thanksgiving morning, and I'd give anything to have caught it on tape.

Randy,

New member here. Good luck on the hunt. Do you have any tech info on the camera gear you run? My daughter shot her first deer on Thanksgiving morning, and I'd give anything to have caught it on tape.

Hmmm. Depends on budget. Get a good tripod and fluid head. Then spend the rest on one of the newer Sony or Canon prosumer cams. Don't worry about zoom. Way over rated and makes for poor footage. Lowest lux rating is best for low light.

All the new HD cams are better than expected. Get a shotgun mic, if you can. Better than the built in mic. Less expensive than the remote mics we use.

Good luck Fin. Two of my buddies just got back and took two slammer bucks on public ground. One of them is a 5x10 that may gross 180!!

Good luck and thanks for the updates. NOAA says teens at night and high 30s during the day. Stay warm.

Got here in time to do an hour of scouting before dark. Can pretty much throw out everything I learned last year when Spitz and I hunted.

Nothing grew this year. I knew it would be tough with the drought they had this year, but this is extreme. The CRP has no grass to speak of. The agriculture of winter wheat is nothing but winter dirt. Not sure what they are eating. Really nothing to eat and no cover to bed in.

Gonna be tough. I am going to walk to the back end of the WIHA and see what is growing on the other side. Last year had lots of wheat on that private. Hope something is growing there this year.

They have to be here somewhere. Not like they can grow wings and fly off. I will find them. I think they will use the rough country for bedding, given they have no cover in the CRP. Spitz and I chased two big bucks way back into some rougher stuff last year. I think they will be there this year.

By this time tomorrow, I hope to have some pieces of the new puzzle put together.

I think you said something to the effect that hunting is 70% effort, 25% skill and 5% luck - looks like you have the first two covered. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm guessing you'll find em in the rougher stuff tomorrow morning. Good luck fin!

Sounds like things have changed quite a bit since last year! I'm confident you'll figure it out Fin. Just like my buck last year, there'll be one dumb buck chasing around second-cycle does at some point in there. Keep at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back