MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Just how important is camo to spot-n-stalk western rifle hunting?

Just as important as it is for bow hunting or hunting in the East 😉

Try hunting without and see if the animals can tell a difference. In my experience it’s helped me be more mindful of having something behind me to break up my profile, which helps a lot.

I agree with everyone else that it doesn’t matter during gun season. But, for what it’s worth, ungulates have dichromatic vision and see blaze orange as more of a grey. They do however see the color blue incredibly well, so steer clear of any old NWU-1 you find at the military surplus store.
That's actually really helpful - I've always thought they see blaze orange as white, but never knew they could pick out blue.

I don't think camo is important except that I probably feel more confident wearing it. At this point for me, the technical aspects of the clothing are tremendously important more so than any pattern. That said, non camo technical clothing comes it at roughly the same price point so I opt to wear camo.

That's actually really helpful - I've always thought they see blaze orange as white, but never knew they could pick out blue.
Be it white or grey, they’re still seeing a big blob of a single color. I could see some of the broken up blaze orange perhaps being useful if a hunter doesn’t anticipate being in good cover during a stalk. I still wear whatever cheapo solid blaze vest I pick up first though.

Re: Blue - they apparently see it really well! The below is from a 2018 posting on RMEF’s website called What You See Isn’t What That Elk Sees…
“…ungulates can see the blue end of the spectrum 1,000x times brighter than a human can, which is why they pick up Ultraviolet light (UV) so easily and why some hunters take great care not to wash their camouflage apparel in detergents that contain UV brighteners.”

Last edited:
I was once told to do what gives you an edge,even for a moment. That is all you need sometimes.
For me that is what is most comfortable for the conditions,does not look human, does not make noise,and does not smell....like a human. Do not look out of place.
I went from jeans & plaid what I had for conditions and added military surplus stuff,hand me downs,to full camo ,eradicate every hint of scent to what I have now. A mix,but mostly stuff made for what I am doing.

Until recently most hiking / backpacking clothing was in clown colors after just being earth tones. Now a few have figured out the cross over effect of comfortable wear for both hiker types & hunter outdoorsey types.

Cotton is for something else in my book now. I never wear blue or bright flashy colors either. One converstion with Dr. V. Geist did that.

The noise factor comes in for me here. Swishy leg noise. Material noise. And not looking human.Which a solid block of color,on a human,does look like. Same with Sitka on a dry grass field,at times.

Just an old farts observations.

I don't think camo is important for rifle hunting in most cases, but if you ever aspire to get into archery hunting it sure makes sense to buy your outer layers in camo, so you don't have to re-buy once you make the switch. That was my line of thinking anyway.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I can't say that its hurt me, need all the help I can get :)

I do like the camo companies are coming out with more solids. Price being equal on a piece of clothing, I'd rather purchase from one of the main hunting brands that support hunting versus an outdoors company that may not.

In a given year, I will hunt turkeys, ducks, archery whitetails, rifle whitetails, and a Western hunt of some type. Camo helps with the birds, so why not wear it for other hunts since I already have it?

I believe camo has its value as it breaks up the solid single shade viewed by wildlife against the background. I also believe the body's defined shape is a significant factor. Of course #1 is wind / scent in spot / stalk though to say camo doesn't have it's place - I disagree.

If it's all bear grass green hillside yet a person's wearing camo... well, then the varied shades that differ from the hillside play a factor.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back