Just how important is camo to spot-n-stalk western rifle hunting?

matechakeric

is camo vs. solid colored neutral earth tone colors really a huge deal in terms of open space elk or deer hunting? Now archery is a whole other beast so I will not question camo for archery. But in most states for rifle seasons, you have to wear solid blaze orange vests and or hats anyways so it's not like you are invisible in your camo.

am I just not giving camo enough cred here?

don't matter

stalking animals is more about not being seen at all instead of being seen but appearing invisible.

smell/wind matters more at the end of the day.

i've never archery hunted, but i get a feeling you could get away in solid colors archery hunting just fine too.

Thankfully my hat was camo or else I never would have killed this bull

View attachment 195361
And your backpack and bino case and gloves. Wouldn't have pulled it off without the camo lense cloth either.

Nice bull!

Well considering hunter orange is required in most states, I think you could say camo is just for show.

In my experience movement and scent are the things that get you, camo or not.

"Well considering hunter orange is required in most states, I think you could say camo is just for show."

My thoughts exactly.
That latest and greatest camo pattern sure is making all the difference underneath that solid orange vest.

Growing up rifle hunting nobody ever wore camo at all. As a teenager I started archery hunting and everybody wore camo for that. After acquiring a decent wardrobe of camo clothes, when I started switching between archery and rifle I just started wearing camo to rifle hunt, since they were my dedicated hunting clothes at that point. At some point wearing camo to rifle hunt became a thing because now I see it all the time.

Now I mostly keep going with camo because my wife never swipes my camo gear.

Might as well stay home if you don't have on camo...

and it's gotta be Sitka, animals have figured out the realtree and mossy oak pattern.
THIS! thank you someone pointed out the elephant in the room. It needs to be added, If you don't have full camo systems go ahead and turn your tags in and I'll try and snap them up at the next reissue.

THIS! thank you someone pointed out the elephant in the room. It needs to be added, If you don't have full camo systems go ahead and turn your tags in and I'll try and snap them up at the next reissue.
and it's all gotta be the same brand and pattern. If you mix subalpine and open country those elk are going to lock on to you miles away.

I agree with everyone else that it doesn’t matter during gun season. But, for what it’s worth, ungulates have dichromatic vision and see blaze orange as more of a grey. They do however see the color blue incredibly well, so steer clear of any old NWU-1 you find at the military surplus store.

Might as well stay home if you don't have on camo...

and it's gotta be Sitka, animals have figured out the realtree and mossy oak pattern.
Oh man... so what you are saying my 1998 Mossy Oak colored Cabelas Saddle cloth bowhunting jacket that I have been wearing every season since is NOT the reason I am successful when I get to punch a tag? Ha Ha

crap... I only have two more still in the plastic packaging that I bought on clearance in 2001.... I am 47 so I should be good to go till I kick the bucket..

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back