Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Just how important is camo to spot-n-stalk western rifle hunting?

1987 antelope hunt, with Tjones

View attachment 196191View attachment 196193View attachment 196197
Blue Jeans were normal until the weather got really bad back in the day. Not sure how we survived those years.
I hunted in blue jeans when I was a kid. And my Dad bought me one of those crappy blaze orange sweatshirts from Sportsman's Surplus in Trempers. I used to get dumped off on the mountain and get picked up on either the Pendergast or Bolin ranches. Dial up phone communication. Remington 721 and Core-Lokt bullets killed a bunch of critters. mtmuley

Depends on the situation. Everything is different. I have stalked deer in blue jeans and tan coveralls. Both worked for me. I have stalked antelope in blue jeans and a t-shirt. What's more importaint is how well you play the wind, scent and movement. You don't want your quarry to detect any of that. The rest, they just might overlook. I have worn camo but find that only has the advantage when you are sitting still trying to do an ambush or something.

Camo clothing isn't a factor in hunting. Muted tones work just as well, tans, browns, greens, grey. As others have stated, not sky lining oneself, scent control, unnecessary movement, & playing the wind is much more important.

You might not believe me but at least half the elk I've shot I was wearing blue jeans or bright green Woolrich pants and a giant orange vest. True story

That's actually really helpful - I've always thought they see blaze orange as white, but never knew they could pick out blue.
The uv treatment that makes your blaze orange glow bright, makes it glow blue to the animal. Highly pressured animals learn to look for it.

My hunting.clothes are camo, but mostly for the pockets and warmth abities, while not having to worry about trashing them. In COLD my under.layers keep me warm not my camo

Agreed, camo for western rifle hunting is not important and I have some grey and tan solids from Kuiu and FL (both discounted) that work well for me with deep pockets (many), zip vents and long pant zips. Could I get the same flat colors from traditionally non hunting brands? Probably, but I don't lose much sleep over it.

I also have some camo pattern stuff from both that I purchased for waterfowl hunting and if it ends up on a big game hunt, backpacking excursion or an ice fishing trip; I don't sweat it either.

That being said, I try to remember to take them off when I go into the grocery store or fast food place on the road....don't be that guy.:D Same goes for your orange vest "blue plates", we know why you are here.:unsure:;)

One of the greatest bow hunters of all time, Chuck Adams, has killed many a trophy Elk and Lord knows what else. I remember following him back in the 80's, when he was shooting all this stuff, and hadn't gotten advertising endorsements, etc..
Chuck would wear a neutral colored hoodie, a neutral stocking cap, and blue jeans. I doubt if he stood out in the sunshine much though.

Reactions: Guy
Saying you have to wear camo to get an animal is about the same as saying you have to have Swarovski glass to see them.

At a distance I don't think its real important, as long as you can still break up your figure by blending in. Wear blue jeans and you stick out a mile away. Up close it matters. I was rifle hunting last year when I walked up on a heard of elk. About a dozen cows laying down and others standing. The way the terrain was we just could never see each other until I was literally 30 feet away. That's when a cow thought she saw something ( wind was perfect coming at me obviously) Then the bull stepped out and kept starring at me. Unfortunately I was in a half standing position half bent over and had to stay like that for a few minutes until the bull and cow just looked away and starting getting leg cramps. The bull just started screaming at me and walked toward me and got within about 20 feet of me. They knew something was there but couldn't see me right in front of them. Kept lifting his head smelling and even snorted. This went for about 15 minutes until they finally just feeding away enough that they I could start to move away. Tried to come back around to shoot a cow but the terrain would give a any type of shot with the trees. I backed out left them alone, came up the next morning and shot a cow. So for me yes I think it matters.

I cant tell you which camo is better as long as you are breaking up your image or blending in with same solid colors it matters.

Camo brands ( or clothing) matter when you are out all day putting on many miles, in the weather and terrain. The more comfortable and lighter you are the further you'll go.

At a distance I don't think its real important, as long as you can still break up your figure by blending in. Wear blue jeans and you stick out a mile away. Up close it matters. I was rifle hunting last year when I walked up on a heard of elk. About a dozen cows laying down and others standing. The way the terrain was we just could never see each other until I was literally 30 feet away. That's when a cow thought she saw something ( wind was perfect coming at me obviously) Then the bull stepped out and kept starring at me. Unfortunately I was in a half standing position half bent over and had to stay like that for a few minutes until the bull and cow just looked away and starting getting leg cramps. The bull just started screaming at me and walked toward me and got within about 20 feet of me. They knew something was there but couldn't see me right in front of them. Kept lifting his head smelling and even snorted. This went for about 15 minutes until they finally just feeding away enough that they I could start to move away. Tried to come back around to shoot a cow but the terrain would give a any type of shot with the trees. I backed out left them alone, came up the next morning and shot a cow. So for me yes I think it matters.

I cant tell you which camo is better as long as you are breaking up your image or blending in with same solid colors it matters.

Camo brands ( or clothing) matter when you are out all day putting on many miles, in the weather and terrain. The more comfortable and lighter you are the further you'll go.

I've done the same thing countless times without camo. Remember wind and movement. You didn't move, and they felt safe in the area they were in. I also this season literally walked across a field with several cow elk staring at me 20-40 yards as I moved into a bull, wind was in my face and the sun was in theirs, again no camo. But I walked slowly, they couldn't figure it out and went about their business.

is camo vs. solid colored neutral earth tone colors really a huge deal in terms of open space elk or deer hunting? Now archery is a whole other beast so I will not question camo for archery. But in most states for rifle seasons, you have to wear solid blaze orange vests and or hats anyways so it's not like you are invisible in your camo.

am I just not giving camo enough cred here?
I just started making the switch to sold color earth tones. I got tired of keeping up on all the camo variations and mis-matched camo BS. I went with BassPro/Cabela's Instinct Summit Runner pants as a starter. "Back in the day" it wasn't uncommon to see hunters wearing red wool or solid blaze orange coats and blue jeans. Many deer taken wearing that style of clothing.

You can spend thousands of dollars for the latest and greatest camo in the world and then most states require you to cover it up with blaze orange...and thousands of animals are still killed every year by these orange pumpkins.

Camo helps keep a person hid from other hunters.
I have stalked and taken lots of game wearing a faded blue work shirt and Levi's using skills and not relying on camo.

Back