Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Just got Starlink.

For my 2nd home/cabin I've been on the waiting list for well over a year. My account still says "Starlink expects to expand service in your area by mid 2022." I would say September is past mid-2022. Was originally quoted end of 2021, so already got bumped once.

Starting to get a little pissed.

For my 2nd home/cabin I've been on the waiting list for well over a year. My account still says "Starlink expects to expand service in your area by mid 2022." I would say September is past mid-2022. Was originally quoted end of 2021, so already got bumped once.

Starting to get a little pissed.
Not sure how the waiting list works. We weren't on it for a year though. If it's any consolation, it works great. Hughes Net no more. mtmuley

Sunspots have been killing starlink satellites. They are attempting to replace them. It’s possible you are in an area that was affected.

I have starlink at my cabin. It allows me to stay there as much as i want since i work from home and just need good internet access. Plan to be up there for 5 weeks starting november 1. I was on the list for a couple weeks right before elon said he was shipping units to ukraine. I thought it would months or even years before i would receive my equipment but i got it in about 6 weeks. Would gladly have waited much longer if it was going to help the war effort.

It took a while to get it but well worth the wait.
So far it has only been down when power is out or a real heavy downpour with power on & off and it always comes right back on.

Starlink is a great option for most rural internet users. The bandwidth is still pretty slim compared to what's available, but you aren't getting fiber layed out in the sticks any time soon.

What's the cost for Starlink? We don't have any great options where we are either. Currently we have Century Link which is either 20mbps or 0 depending on how many mice they have on the wheel that day. The CL guy is own at the corner repairing stuff weekly it seems...

What's the cost for Starlink? We don't have any great options where we are either. Currently we have Century Link which is either 20mbps or 0 depending on how many mice they have on the wheel that day. The CL guy is own at the corner repairing stuff weekly it seems...
Century Link has got to be the worst ISP of all time, apparently hughes gives them a run for their money. If comcast wasn't actively building out my moms neighborhood I would have switched her over to Starlink.

My BIL just got Starlink and it's far and away better than CL... although nothing compared to what you can get via fiber. We have 1gb down, ~30 mb up for ~$70 a month. I can actually only get that speed on my wired devices as 1gb exceeds what many devices and/or the WIFI network configuration can handled. Our phones and laptops do about ~300-400mb.

For comparison max verison 5G is like ~175mb, LTE probably maxes out in a really good location at ~100mb, and in most areas is 10-50mbs.

There are other higher "published" speeds but those are kinda what you are likely to experience.

Which basically means that my laptop using my phones hotspot at my moms house is 5x faster than my moms CL internet... and also means gig internet is really overkill for most folks.

The century link struggle is real... cannot wait for that email from Starlink one day that says our equipment is on the way

Century Link has got to be the worst ISP of all time, apparently hughes gives them a run for their money. If comcast wasn't actively building out my moms neighborhood I would have switched her over to Starlink.

My BIL just got Starlink and it's far and away better than CL... although nothing compared to what you can get via fiber. We have 1gb down, ~30 mb up for ~$70 a month. I can actually only get that speed on my wired devices as 1gb exceeds what many devices and/or the WIFI network configuration can handled. Our phones and laptops do about ~300-400mb.

For comparison max verison 5G is like ~175mb, LTE probably maxes out in a really good location at ~100mb, and in most areas is 10-50mbs.

There are other higher "published" speeds but those are kinda what you are likely to experience.

Which basically means that my laptop using my phones hotspot at my moms house is 5x faster than my moms CL internet... and also means gig internet is really overkill for most folks.
Interesting to read, I assume that's out on the East coast? We had CL fiber run through our neighborhood, first in the city (all the infrastructure is above ground), a few years ago and finally ditched Comcast last year. It's been outstanding here, only a couple outages resolved inside 15 minutes and ridiculous speeds. $72 a month for life.

13725097071.png

I'm a few months into Starlink for my personal home. Wllm is right on about the speeds.

For me thus far, it has worked flawlessly, and though it is $30 more a month than the craptacular ISP I had prior(110 vs 80), the fact that I can now actually work from home a few days a week is saving me far more than that in fuel.

We've also had it at the VFD for a year now, and it has functioned without fail.

It's just a really neat product. So simple (3 pieces), plug it in, and go.

Interesting to read, I assume that's out on the East coast? We had CL fiber run through our neighborhood,

Western Slope Colorado, max speeds are usually 15mb or so and Century Link has stated to us multiple times they will never upgrade infrastructure or at least have no plans to... my mom has had the same speeds since ~2004. Their network is also just incredibly unreliable, downtimes are approx. 10-15% of all use days, in my experience.

They are also were the only option and were a complete monopoly.

This is what Xfinity offers in a metro... CL is about a decade behind even where they have new infrastructure. After dealing with Century Link for 20 years I will never willingly be a customer again.

They certainly could be more tolerable in other areas... also I definitely still hate dealing with comcast/xfinity/charter... also still a shitty experience just less because in the end it mostly works.

1664206952527.png
1664207008427.png
1664206796363.png

versus the only plan century link offers in the county my mom lives in... which like I said just about never works.
1664207385246.png

Last edited:
Western Slope Colorado, max speeds are usually 15mb or so and Century Link has stated to us multiple times they will never upgrade infrastructure or at least have no plans to... my mom has had the same speeds since ~2004. Their network is also just incredibly unreliable, downtimes are approx. 10-15% of all use days, in my experience.

This is what Xfinity offers in a metro... CL is about a decade behind even where they have new infrastructure. After dealing with Century Link for 20 years I will never willingly be a customer again.

They certainly could be more tolerable in other areas... also I definitely still hate dealing with comcast/xfinity/charter... also still a shitty experience just less because in the end it mostly works.

View attachment 241561
View attachment 241562
View attachment 241560

versus the only plan century link offers in the county my mom lives in... which like I said just about never works.
View attachment 241564
Lol. You got me...

Bawston kid.png

View attachment 241561
View attachment 241562
View attachment 241560

View attachment 241564
rural Colorado options are not great and @wllm is spot on about the number of days lost to CL outages. That's why Starlink is so promising. The dish points straight up, so those of us living in canyons or mountains, surrounded by massive trees don't have to worry about dish direction. It's going to be a game changer.

rural Colorado options are not great and @wllm is spot on about the number of days lost to CL outages. That's why Starlink is so promising. The dish points straight up, so those of us living in canyons or mountains, surrounded by massive trees don't have to worry about dish direction. It's going to be a game changer.
In related news, the boys and I watched a live stream the other day of another Falcon rocket launch to deliver another 52 starlink satellites into low orbit. I suspect it's only going to get better.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back