Just bought a R.U.M 300. looking for ideas..

stevieb79

Good Morning...

I just picked myself up a r.u.m. 300 last week. I have wanted to have this gun for 6 years now. I took it out and put a few rounds through it on Saturday. I had to bring it back and exchange it because it would not take the brass out of the gun. Is this a common problem with the gun?. The company said they have never seen a bran new gun do this before.

I put a leupold vx-r 4-12x40 scope on the r.u.m. It's a really nice scope.. Would anyone know how far they will set my cds for, if it's been zeroed at 200 yards? would like to know what kind of range i can get out of this gun. I am shooting 180 gr bares vor-tx. the guy at the store said these are the best bullets for this gun. does anyone know of better bullets out there?

Also, what is the best thing to do to reduce recoil?. i have seen muzzle brake and limb savers. I have heard bad things about muzzle brakes. I love the gun, don't get me wrong. I just would like to make it easier on the shoulder...

Thanks for your help folks....

Just curious, what rifle did you get? Never heard of a new rifle having extraction issues but anything is possible. Nothing wrong with Barnes bullets at all. I've used them before but I prefer Nosler above all else. You can't go wrong with Leupold but I know nothing about the CDS As far as range goes, it will be good far beyond what most folks have any business shooting. Whatever range you are comfortable with you should have more than enough gun to do it with.
I shoot a 300 win mag most of the time and it has a break. I don't regret having it but it sure is loud. Recoil is less than my 25.06.

It's a Remington modle 700 sps, 300 ultra mag, bolt action. I myself have never had a round stay stuck in the gun. I though maybe it was the brass aft6er it was fired. Took me 20 min to get it out of the gun. So i thought i would try a new bullet and see if it would eject it. Took me 10 min to get that out of the gun as well...

I have had problems with factory ammo in my 300WSM. It was to the point where the primers were flattened and cratered. I never got extraction problems but some seriously stiff bolt extraction. I reload for the rifle now and I end up using moderate loads that are nowhere near factory velocities.

They have to hotrod the holy hell out of those UltraMags and WSM to get the super velocities they claim. A rifle might have a tight chamber or shorter headspace (while still being within spec) creating a major spike in pressure.

I just bought a Remington 700 Sendero in 300 R.U.M and put a Vais muzzle break on it.Shoot like a dream. With the break it feels like a 30-06. I shoot !80 Accubonds in it and its nails.With that round will shoot out to a 1,000 yards. Just know your comfort zone.

I'm going to try a few different bullets with this gun. just to see what it like and doesn't like. i know that every gun can be different in what they like coming down the barrel. I got the new rifle at home now, and I'm going to try shoot a few rounds out of it tonight. hope nothing goes wrong with this gun. good thing i did not have a bear charging down on me when that happened.. lol

Does the muzzle brake make the rifle louder? I know it changes the way the sound comes out of the gun. I know it is a big rifle, and it's going to kick a little. I am excited to see just how far this thing will shoot. i have a 30-06, and i am comfortable shooting out to 500 yards. Has anyone used the limb savers? Do they work at all?

Throw away factory stock and rebuild it heavy/put a break on it. I shoot mine one handed. Kicks like a baby 06. Smoked a coyote off my back deck the other day at 420 yards. Love that gun. I gave away all my barnes bullets after making a great shot on a bear and pencil holed it. Went back to spear grand slams. When they connect shiz hits the dirt!!

It's a Remington modle 700 sps, 300 ultra mag, bolt action. I myself have never had a round stay stuck in the gun. I though maybe it was the brass aft6er it was fired. Took me 20 min to get it out of the gun. So i thought i would try a new bullet and see if it would eject it. Took me 10 min to get that out of the gun as well...

Sure sounds like a head space problem. I had some problems this summer with my own reloads in my 7mm.

Oops! Meant to say that I absolutely HATE muzzle brakes because of the noise factor. One of the great fallacies of new cartridges is that the old .300 H & H Magnum produces nearly identical ballistics as the .300 WSM without any extraction problems. It does result in an inch longer action, but so what? And the .300 Weatherby with its wonderfully long neck, was produced in the 1940s. It is still the best .300 magnum you can find. New is not always the best.

Thanks wingman.. I have never loaded my own rounds, but it is something i have been looking into. i have hunted for years with factory loads. Now that i'm getting into something that can shoot long range, it would be nice to have it custom.

Thanks for your input. i think when it come to guys talking about the weatherby mag, and the ultra mag. It's sounds like ford and Chevy guys talking. Don't get me wrong, i know the weatherby is a really nice rifle. But i know with just comparing the numbers. The ulra mag beats the weatherby in everything.

Where could i find replacement stock for this gun? I do like the look of it, so it would be nice to find one the same style. What do you mean by making it heavy ? Will it help that much? I also heard guys talking about floating the barrel. I'll be totally honest here. I don't know very much about this or how to do it.. Any ideas?

If you want to make this a more serious long range rifle with limited experience you should bring it to a good gunsmith and have them skim bed the action and true/lap the rings. The barrel is probably already free floating, but the skim bedding will help tremendously. Last but not least-start handloading. You will never realize the full potential of the rifle with factory ammo and it will likely solve the stuck case issues, especially if using quality (Lapua) brass. Also chuck the plastic stock and get a high quality stock like a Manners, they are expensive, but then again nothing about long range is cheap.

Put a Sako extractor on it. They are fairly notorius for having extraction issues. Boyds gunstocks are the best inexpensive stock out there. They are laminate and will reduce the percieved recoil some. This gun is very capable of 1000 yard shots as I have a buddy that does just that. If you are worried about how far your CDS(although I haven't dealt with them) will be, add a 20 MOA base. Barnes are great bullets and you won't have any issues with them. DO NOT use a fragmenting(berger, match king, etc) bullet out of this if you reload. Have personally seen where they come apart in mid air. Go to http://www.ballisticstudies.com and find the 300 Ultra mag. This guy goes into great depth on what happens with different calibers. Specifically he explains why the bergers have a tendancy not to work in the 300 Ultra.

If you want to make this a more serious long range rifle with limited experience you should bring it to a good gunsmith and have them skim bed the action and true/lap the rings. The barrel is probably already free floating, but the skim bedding will help tremendously. Last but not least-start handloading. You will never realize the full potential of the rifle with factory ammo and it will likely solve the stuck case issues, especially if using quality (Lapua) brass. Also chuck the plastic stock and get a high quality stock like a Manners, they are expensive, but then again nothing about long range is cheap.

I will look this up right now. Thank you for you input...

Put a Sako extractor on it. They are fairly notorius for having extraction issues. Boyds gunstocks are the best inexpensive stock out there. They are laminate and will reduce the percieved recoil some. This gun is very capable of 1000 yard shots as I have a buddy that does just that. If you are worried about how far your CDS(although I haven't dealt with them) will be, add a 20 MOA base. Barnes are great bullets and you won't have any issues with them. DO NOT use a fragmenting(berger, match king, etc) bullet out of this if you reload. Have personally seen where they come apart in mid air. Go to http://www.ballisticstudies.com and find the 300 Ultra mag. This guy goes into great depth on what happens with different calibers. Specifically he explains why the bergers have a tendancy not to work in the 300 Ultra.

Thank you very much for you input... i need all the help i can get. I'm really excited to get this rifle up to it's full potential.

I recently had a RUM built I have never had any extraction problems. I handload for it and am able to have a longer OAL because of the magazine. The rifle shoots like a dream and does not kick more then a .270. It does have a break and is heavy. This was built as a long range gun. I shoot 200 grain Barnes LRX when I can get them but it also likes 200 grain Accubonds. I am shooting 3157 fps with the accubonds and 93 grains of Retumbo. This is a chronographed speed. Even at those high speeds I don't have any ejection problems or pressure signs. I would have the rifle checked.

I traded the rifle in and got a new one. I did not feel it was safe so they just gave me a new gun. Now i have been doing a lot of reading different stock. Can someone tell me out there why it would be good to toss the stock that's on the gun, and get a new one. I have been looking online and i'm not finding any good looking ones..

Shoot the new rifle. If it delivers acceptable accuracy for the way you are using the rifle, no need for a new stock, skim bedding or anything else. Don't overthink things. If a problem arises, address it. Did you scope it yet? mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back