Yeti GOBOX Collection

July Alaska fishing

upper deck

I am on my way back from AK and actually sitting in the Anchorage airport waiting for a flight. Here are some pics from the week of fishing.

We fished Halibut on Mon and Thurs. Day 1 we filet out 120 lbs and on Thurs we ended up with 154 lbs between 4 of us.

We fished the reds everynight with good luck. What a blast

We then fished Tues and Wed for Kings on the Kenai river. I ended up getting lucking on the second day and hooking innto a 34 lbs king ( not the biggest but put on a great show).

I have to admit I was like a kid in a candy store with all the fishing and the amount of daylight this time of year. Here is a rough schedule that we had during this week. I have to admit I could not believe my dad was able to keep up with such little sleep (even though he did head to the van around 11:30 on Tues night and caught some shut eye)

Tues up and 4 am to be on the water by 5:30. We fished till around 4 pm. Headed back had a quick bite to eat, then off to catch red Salmon (finished tues night catching reds at 12:30) Got to sleep that night around 1:30am.

Wed up at 4 am again try and catch a king again. We finished on the river around 4 and grabbed McDs on the way to the Red Salmon spot. We thought if we would get there early we would get a better spot. We ended up fishing til 11:30 pm on Wed night, the run was a little slower on Wed than on Tues.

Tues we were up at 3:30, had to be at the Halibut boat at 5 am for a great morning catch.

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 89
  • red 3.jpg
    red 3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 89
  • King 3.jpg
    King 3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Red day 3 1.jpg
    Red day 3 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Red 5.jpg
    Red 5.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 88
Nice!!!! We'd be packing now for Alaska if my job hadn't gone bye bye

upperdeck,

Those are some great pictures. I am looking forward to some salmon and halibut fillets!!

Nice!! I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks. More of a vacation than fishing trip, but I hope to catch a halibut.

Did you send your fish back as checked luggage?

Too poor this year but we already have plans set for next june to float plane into the Nushagak for kings. Haven't done the Kenai and Homer for about ten years but it is a blast. Looks like you guys had a great trip. Next year will be my 27th trip up for fishing.

Oak, yeah I brought them back as checked luggage. I brought a cooler up with me and also got a seafood box from the local processing place. To be honest with the new rules on airlines to do with luggage fees if I did it again I would leave the cooler at home and just have them box it up down there. The other advantage it that the box are a lot lighter than the cooler so you can take more fish back with you. It ran around $1 per lbs to have the fish cut up to 1 lbs packages, vacuumed sealed and froze.

And yeah it was a blast and especially for someone who only gets out fishing once and a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back