Judging pronghorn is hard!

npaden

Spent the day scouting by myself. Looked at somewhere between 50 and 75 bucks at least.

These are the top bucks. Even looking at them in pictures I can’t get a good feel.

The first buck actually looked the biggest in real life and had some smaller bucks with him that he dwarfed.

508F1C17-7EC5-4817-BAB9-964B090CCCC8.jpeg

The second buck really didn’t look that impressive in real life. Looked tall but I didn’t feel like he had much mass. Now looking at the pictures I’m not so sure.

460C39BE-3CF7-4699-A62E-5371CF9A7D3F.jpeg

Third buck looked like a hoss, but not sure he would actually score very well.

1F8E4DF2-41B9-43F0-9D2C-1AE190CFF3B2.jpeg

Last buck also looked like a big mature buck. Sometimes he looked great and sometimes not so much. He was the farthest away so not as good of pictures.

B9676D20-C296-4AEB-B096-1F47C5B970F3.jpeg

Pretty sure none are going to make the magical 80” mark. I think a couple might stretch to the same 78” type buck I’ve shot the last 2 times I’ve been in this unit.

I guess I need to decide if I should go after any of these or if I should just keep looking. These were for sure top bucks I saw today and I was going from first light to last light.

I’ve got more pictures of each buck but it doesn’t help me figure it out much.

Anyone feel confident in what any of these bucks would score?

Thanks, Nathan

Buck 1 front view.

49B8EB21-D8CB-462E-A583-8C4CD21726AC.jpeg

Buck 2 front view.

04728115-5F1D-4EEF-A486-4B1EA04592F2.jpeg

Buck 3 front view.

BF11A50F-F3CD-44FA-A723-72107A05DBE6.jpeg

Don’t have a front look at buck 4 but here is another from the side.

B4D00613-B6D8-41EA-9456-00C044A0A4F8.jpeg

Still not sure on him. It’s almost like his bases aren’t really that good but his mass is for sure bigger on the 2nd measurement than the base. Just not sure about him at all.

Any input appreciated. Maybe I’m overlooking something on one of these guys.

Thanks, Nathan

If you’re looking for a book head...keep looking, none are over 80 imo. You really need to look at them from all angles but I would say the top buck is best of the 3, then the 3rd one down, the other 2 are just bucks.

The one thing that makes or breaks bucks is mass. The 5 book heads in my house all have noticeably good mass above the prongs.

Yep, #1 is a classic looking buck but if you want to best your previous number, keep looking. It's too fun hunting pronghorn to end early anyways...

I am guilty of overestimating score on smaller lopes especially if they have decent length. And I tend under estimating the score big lope with decent but not crazy length. I don’t think I am alone in that habit. Just Something to keep in mind

Well, I’m not patient enough to find a really good buck.

Headed home with this one.

84EBFC4E-29FC-4059-91A5-F918EE111D1F.jpeg

Never could find buck 1 again. Buck 3 was always on private land. I found buck 4 again and got closer and couldn’t get him to grow any bigger.

I saw one buck better than this one right on the highway and wasn’t really sure about him at the time and then went back to find him and never could.

This one is a little smaller than last years buck. I didn’t green score him yet, I’m guessing somewhere around 76”.

One of the better ones we saw and I needed to get headed home so I went ahead and took him.

Thanks for the input. One of these years I will go long enough before the opener that I won’t have any choice but to keep looking before I can pull the trigger.

Nathan

Mass is the #1 thing to look for. The BIG ones look BIG, you'll know right away. Nice goat you have there. Congrats.

Nice buck. I tend to always under judge lopes...so I am usually happy when I walk up to mine.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back