Judging pronghorn is hard!

I’m no stranger to totally missing it on lopes. Misjudged my last WY buck by 5”

It’s no surprise anymore to hear or see people drive right by a monster buck. Lots of folks drove right past that first one without much of a thought.

I could tell my friend Matt really likes that fat horned thing during an August trip and was happy when he got him. He didn’t make it more than a few seconds into opening day.View attachment 115610View attachment 115611View attachment 115612View attachment 115613
Is the first buck the one in post 32?

@antelopedundee Do those bucks look big?

By looking big I mean they look big and stand out when they are several hundred yards out in a pasture. If you're driving by, the black horns catch your eye and you don't need to look twice to see that they're nice. They stand out by themselves or if they are in a herd with other bucks. Of course that's no assurance that they will make the book. As an aside some folks hunt all their lives and never see a B & C whitetail.

@Greenhorn so initially looking at the two dead ones in post 62 I thought the tall one is a much better scorer. Now looking at it, I’m thinking the short & heavy one scores higher?

It's also instructive to look at the mounts in places like Cabela's or Bass Pro. IIRC the Montana state record antelope buck is/was on display at the rear of the Cabela's in Sidney, Nebraska. Some pretty nice heads in there plus some fairly average ones. Even if you don't buy anything the displays are worth the stop.

This last week I looked over about 300 bucks before I pulled the trigger and I never did see one that I believe would break 80" in my unit. They sure are fun to hunt and taste delicious.
Judging pronghorn is extremely difficult. The difference between an average pronghorn and a Booner is often only an inch on the mass, prongs and height. Those mass inches add up fast.

Greenhorn,

Those are some really nice bucks. You don't double up on a couple pronghorn like that in Wyoming by just being lucky. You have to put in the work of looking over a bunch of bucks and have the skill to judge how good they really are.

By looking big I mean they look big and stand out when they are several hundred yards out in a pasture. If you're driving by, the black horns catch your eye and you don't need to look twice to see that they're nice. They stand out by themselves or if they are in a herd with other bucks. Of course that's no assurance that they will make the book. As an aside some folks hunt all their lives and never see a B & C whitetail.

What a load of bull...

I watched 2 guys from Nebraska drive by an 83 6/8 net officially scored buck. I just about passed it up too.

First glances at several hundred yards mean zippo. Body size, head size, nuances in mass all need to be looked at closely.

Pronghorn are not easy to judge even with high end glass and lots of time to sort them out. Not very many out of the thousands and thousands shot each year make 80 net. Out of those that do, many are shot by people that have no idea what they score beforehand. th

Going out tomorrow to look over a bunch more bucks. Since I’m not good enough to know with a several hundred yard glance into the pasture, I’ll be picking them apart with my spotting scope.

What a load of bull...

I watched 2 guys from Nebraska drive by an 83 6/8 net officially scored buck. I just about passed it up too.

First glances at several hundred yards mean zippo. Body size, head size, nuances in mass all need to be looked at closely.

Pronghorn are not easy to judge even with high end glass and lots of time to sort them out. Not very many out of the thousands and thousands shot each year make 80 net. Out of those that do, many are shot by people that have no idea what they score beforehand. th

Going out tomorrow to look over a bunch more bucks. Since I’m not good enough to know with a several hundred yard glance into the pasture, I’ll be picking them apart with my spotting scope.

You see what you see and I see what I see. If I see a spindly buck along the road I don't need to stop and get out my binocs to see that's he's just a spindly buck. Nobody is saying that you can judge them with a glance. I'm just making a general observation. Of course you'll want to get out the glass and double check if there's a herd out in front of you or wherever.. Of course it was meant to be a general observation and not 100% guaranteed it will work thing, but you seem to be too dense to discern the difference. And a buck doesn't have to be a booker in order to be nice.

Last edited:
Says the “I’m not a trophy hunter” guy.

You can only pick from what's there where you're allowed to hunt. Years back there was a really nice one a few hundred yards from my motel in Douglas. He really stood out from the others. Didn't need a spotting scope to tell he was nice. Coulda took him from the motel room doorway if it was legal. If he'd a been on the ranch it would have been hunt over if I'd had the chance. To each their own.

And unbeknownst to him, antelopedumdee singlehandedly proves the title of this thread is a fact..

Okay. I'm going to try to guess the score on these bucks.

Post 32 - Is that the same buck as the harvest pictures in post 62? I have him at L 14.5, D1 & D2 6.5, D3 3.5, D4 3, Prong 6.5 - total = 81.
Post 33 - I don't think we have a harvest picture of this buck? I have him at L 16, D1 & D2 6, D3 4, D4 3.5, Prong 5.5 - total = 82.
Post 46 - Already gave us some measurements - L 13, D1 & D2 6.5, D3 3.5, D4 3, Prong 5.5 - Total 76.
Post 47 - I think this is in harvest pictures in post 62? I have him at L 16, D1 & D2 6.5, D3 3.5, D4 3 and Prong 7 - total = 85.

Maybe I'm guessing higher than I normally would just because Greenhorn was in on the kills and judging.

Mine was L 14, D1 & D2 6, D3 3.5, D4 2.5, Prong 4.5 - total = 73. Looking back I think the biggest thing I misjudged on mine was the length above the prong. I tend to focus too much on where the prong starts in relation to the ear but I didn't really pay attention to the one I shot really doesn't have much length above the prong. His prongs were pretty average too.

Seems like they need to have good mass and have either good length or a really good prong to get over the top. Also mass above the prong becomes critical too but it seems like it could be overcome with length or a great prong.

Am I even in the ballpark? Can you get better at judging by looking at pictures on line or is the only way to get better is looking a 1,000's of pronghorn in real life?

Thanks, Nathan

I am enjoying being schooled. Hope there is not a test, unless answers are given first.

I judge antelope as big, OK, or scrawny.

I am in junior high competing against PH.D's in this post.

Back