Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Judging Antelope

spriest

I'm new to antelope hunting. I drew a tag here in Wyoming, and being only my third year here I am still on a steep learning curve. I've followed all that I can on here, read a lot, and watched a lot of shows. Still like some advice and help. I'm not after anything for the record books, just a good quality buck.

I found the buck in the pictures on a state section of public ground. I think he is pretty good, but as I said, I'm totally new to this. Any advice on him would be great. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3506.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 396
Thats prob a 14"-15.5" long, 75 inch goat. Maybe more ! A fine buck from almost any public land ! Hopefully he wont break off those tips before u get a crack at him. The rut or other hunters might relocate him. Find a backup buck or 2. Most of all, just have fun. I'm heading to WY also, but w just 3 doe tags. I'm looking forward to just enjoying the scenery & trying to stalk within blackpowder range.

Thank for the help. He was there with plenty of girlfriends. I'm sure the rut will bring in some more bucks. I saw some more farther off, just couldn't get pictures.

I think it's a nice buck but I have no clue as to judging pronghorn either. I know what I would do if it was me, though. I would shoot it and not regret it for a second.

Depending upon what quality exists on the public land you have access to, it might be a whopper. Compared to bucks in many of the units in your fine state that I have hunted in central or western WY, it would probably get passed.

Hard to tell from the pics being fuzzy and the angle, but I would say it is a 72-74 buck. A nice buck and one I would shoot in some units I have hunted.

A frontal view and a full side view would help a lot. Rear and quartering views always make them look bigger.

If he gets you excited, that is all that matters. Shoot him. Guarantee he will taste good, provide a fun chase, and look good as a euro on your wall.

I am new to it as well but basic rule I learned was if the ear tips are at the cutter its a good buck, if ear tips are below he is big. and then there the WOW factor and that's easy to figure out.

I tried to upload the side and front views, but they wouldn't upload with the first post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 352
Here is what I would give him.

Length - 14.5 (the curve will give him more length that one thinks, as you get to measure over the long part of the horn)

Base - 6
C1 - 6
Prong - 5
C3 - 3
C2 - 2

Total - 36.5 X2 = 73

I saw a nice buck recently, but don't know anything about judging size. When I saw this thread I thought I'd add this guy to it for your opinions. The photo quality is poor, but hopefully enough to judge.

pronghorn-horns.jpg

Back