Join team Mathews???

I have the vxr and love it. It has been a great bow so far and don’t plan o replacing it anytime soon. Like others said, go to a pro shop. I went into the shop thinking I would buy a Hoyt because I liked the look of the bow. I shot everything they had at my budget level. 5 different brands i believe. I liked one or two characteristics about each bow, but everything about the matthews.

Like you, I saved, I purchased a new VXR last year (2020 - 343 fps) and like it. It shoots quiet and fast. Previous to my VXR, I shot the Mathews LX (2003 - 315 fps). The LX was the "single cam" bow and it is very smooth when drawing it back in comparison to the VXR. I figure the VXR will be the last bow I purchase, since I seem to shoot a bow for 15 years and I'm getting older.
I shot more 3D shoots last year and practiced out to 100 yards (I wouldn't shoot at an animal that far). I became more accurate and consistent at this distance, after practicing a lot. I shot the Total Archery Challenge with VXR last year and only lost one arrow. The time before, with my LX … it cost me arrows ($), but fun. This could be a result of getting a "new toy and playing with it alot".
My advise is to shoot several different bow brands and shoot the one that shoots good for you. Don't force it based on the advertisement ... that's meant to sell you a product. Whether you decide Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Prime, etc., they are all good bows.

1) Can I get 7-10yrs out of current Mathew bows? I want something that lasts
2) Real vs Hype? worth the $$$$?
Of course you can get 7-10 years out of a current Mathews bow. I owned my first Mathews for 11 years, and it still shot just fine when I parted with it.

Technological jumps are real. Worth the money is up to you and is dependent on what you are trying to accomplish. Going from a Mathews Q2 to a Bowtech Experience was night and day.

Take @TheTone 's advice and go shoot a bunch. I had plans to buy a Hoyt last time around, and walked out with a Bowtech instead.

Take @TheTone 's advice and go shoot a bunch. I had plans to buy a Hoyt last time around, and walked out with a Bowtech instead.
Funny stuff. My last two new bows were ones I didn’t go into the shop intending to buy. Went in to buy a Mathews once and walked out with a Hoyt and most recently went in planning to buy a Hoyt and left with a Prime

I have had my Mattews Reezen for 12 years with no problem. I am getting old so I just put on new limbs to lower weight. I was pretty impressed that they still stocked limbs for a 12 year old bow.
There’s a lifetime warranty for the original owner so parts will always be available. Did you order them new from a dealer? If so, mind sharing the price? Back in the summer, my local dealer told that there had been a substantial price increase for all parts for bows over 10 years old.

There’s a lifetime warranty for the original owner so parts will always be available. Did you order them new from a dealer? If so, mind sharing the price? Back in the summer, my local dealer told that there had been a substantial price increase for all parts for bows over 10 years old.
Yes i did order through a dealer. They will not sell to private party. I had other work done cable and string tuned up was included. I think it was $160.00 for the limbs and about 2 weeks to get them.

I got a Mathews Outback several years back and love it. I can’t see spending a lot of mo ey that kills just like my ole mathews.

I bought a drenalin I do t even know how long ago, maybe 04? Shot if fo 6-7 years. I then bought the z7 extreme and shot that for about 7 years. Then I bought the halon and love that too. I did buy a vertix this past fall, it because I wanted it but it was from a shop closing doors and the guy had 1 left on his last day and made me a deal I couldn’t refuse. That bow is amazing as well. I think you’ll like shooting them

Yes i did order through a dealer. They will not sell to private party. I had other work done cable and string tuned up was included. I think it was $160.00 for the limbs and about 2 weeks to get them.
Thanks pabearhunter. That’s close to what a cam for my XT was priced at.

I shot about every bow on the market this year. At the end of the day I walked into the shop to plop my cash on a new mathews v3. The manager and one of the other guys strongly recommended that I shoot a used elite e32 before making a final decision. I walked out with the elite. It has a great back wall and fit my habd perfectly. Don't get me wrong the mathews is the best shooting bow I have ever shot; at the end of the day it wasn't $1000 better and that's about what the difference was after new accessories I wanted. They were already on the elite.

1) Can you get 7-10 years out of it? YES. Easily, you will not wear it out, you will be the only limiting factor, will you get the "I want a new bow" bug? Will something "cool" come on bows in that time frame? All up to you.

2) Is Mathews worth it? Again, as has been said above, several times: Yes, they are good bows, but DO NOT spend that kind of money unseen! I wanted to like and try a mathews, do what was suggested, shoot ALOT of bows from different companies. In my hand I could not get comfortable with a mathews, just didn't work for me. Same exact bow in your hands may be the best thing since sliced bread, all personal opinion.

The best way to do this is an outdoors show of some sort where HOPEFULLY you can shoot multiple bows side by side. Harrisburg PA, pre-C19, did this for me. I shot Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, bowtech (wanted to like them but didnt as well), Bear all side by side. If you can find that it's worth it

Another aspect, if you can't work on it yourself, you want the local shop to carry whatever line you pick.

I purchased another bow in the spring of 2019. I was dead set on a Bowtech because that is what I had been shooting and they are a great company. There was a particular brand that I refused to purchase because back when I used to own and operate an archery shop the dealer rep ticked me off. I decided that I just needed to shoot every brand and keep an open mind about which bow to go with. Guess what I ended up with...yep the brand that I didn't want to because of the jerk of a rep. Why...well all the bows I shot from all major companies were great. If you blind folded me and had me draw and shoot the bows it would be hard to tell the difference. What I boiled down to was accuracy and ease of field repair. This bow with no sights shot and grouped better than the rest and it is built tough with less possible issues in the field. I left off the brand because I don't believe my opinion should sway anyone on their choice based on my experiences good or bad. If you stay with a company that has a proven track record and supports what we stand for then there will be no issues.

I shot PSE made and browning branded bows for years with no complaints. Then I accidentally bought a Matthews Halon X on ebay for a stupid cheap price. Since then, I try to stay out of the bow shop because once you shoot a new bow, it ruins your contentment with the older technology. Matthews bows will last longer than it needs too and the new ones are amazing. I almost bought a vertix two years ago and the vxr last year. I will buy one this year. They are unbelievably dead in the hand and quiet.

That said, they aren't cheap but all the top tier bows are comparable in technology and price. You can't go wrong finding a good pro shop (not BPS) and shooting everything they have.

Good luck!

Love my VXR, definitely worth the money. There is a lot to be said for shooting lots of bows and figuring out what one fits you best. I went into buying a new bow last year dead set on getting a Hoyt and ended up liking the Matthews more.

I had the triax and hated it more than any bow i had ever owned, then last season got the VXR, and i will NOT buy a new bow for several years, I'll be keeping my VXR for a very long time. It shoots so smooooooooth!

I have the z7 and have been shooting it for 10 years, I wish I could find a bow that would make me put this one down, but it still shoots great.

I have replaced strings of course, but I would recommend Matthews to anyone.

And don't let the "nay sayers" talk you out of one, they are a little more and a little better for good reason.

Other "brands" hate that...LOL

I had a switchback for years and loved it. Last year I got a VXR 28 and love it. I am getting older and stay out of trees now and hunt from a ground blind. It is a perfect fit in a ground blind. Way faster than my switchback. Quiet dead in hand and fast. My only complaint is a little stiff to draw and let off. I set mine at 62 pounds and it is a great whitetail rig in a blind. Lots of good bows out there, try them all.

I had the triax and hated it more than any bow i had ever owned, then last season got the VXR, and i will NOT buy a new bow for several years, I'll be keeping my VXR for a very long time. It shoots so smooooooooth!

What did you find different from the triax and vxr? I shot the triax a few years ago before i could afford it and then bought a VXR 28 last year. They both felt great at the time i shot them, but i really can't compare since it's been several years between shooting each. If i had a complaint with Mathews it would be that i don't notice much difference in their bows the past couple years. ...They all seem to shoot lights out.

Last edited:
What did you find different from the triax and vxr? I shot the triax a few years ago before i could afford it and then bought a VXR 28 last year. They both felt great at the time i shot them, but i really can't compare since it's been several years between shooting each. If i had a complaint with Mathews it would be that i don't notice much difference in their bows the past couple years. ...They all seem to shoot lights out.
I was not near as accurate with my Triax... and did't like the feel of the riser and grip. Possibly could have had something to do with how short it was as well. It was probably all personal preference. Luckily i sold my Triax and was able to get the VXR and 100% happy with that choice!

I have the V3 now and I have been loving it. After trying out a lot of bows this year the V3 31 was the right choice for ME. As many have said before me, there are a lot of high-quality bows out there so find what works with your system and preferences.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back