Job questions around Billings

huntlife

I find out tonight if I get the house Im wanting. If so, Ill be moving half way across the country, ending up in Billings. Ive been a machinist/welder/industrial maintenance guy for the last 21 years. I started in a machine shop when I was 20.

My question is about whats the average pay for a good machinist, or welder, or plant maintenance guy? Im sure I can find a job. Im not even worried about that. Im just wondering about how much to expect as far as pay goes.

machinist_zps05f6fb1b.jpg

Caveat: I know zero about the job market for machinist but have this salary tool we use for bench marking businesses in different markets. Your mileage may vary.

Nemont

My brother is a welder in the Boilermakers, often working on the plants in Billings and Colstrip. He makes very good money in exchange for very inconsistent and sometimes brutal stretches of work(10 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months).

I also have a friend in Helena who is a machinist who I believe makes around the high 30s annually. Not a ton, but there a quite a few guys out there with associates degrees in machining/welding.

I am certainly just guessing here but I would be cautious about how easy you think it will be to get a job. Lots of guys with that skill set in eastern Montana, and lots of guys who would take a pay cut to not work in Western North Dakota.

Congrats on the move and good luck!

I worked in a machine shop for two years out of college in Helena. Our shop foreman made high 30's and he made significantly more than our other machinists.

Hummmmmm. This will be interesting. I dont have to make tons of money. As long as I can support my habbits, that being hunting and archery tournaments, Im happy.

machinist_zps05f6fb1b.jpg

Caveat: I know zero about the job market for machinist but have this salary tool we use for bench marking businesses in different markets. Your mileage may vary.

Nemont

If I made this, I would be happy. I make more now, but I hate living here. Ill gladly take a pay cut, to be happy!

I can tell you one thing. There are a lot of us here in Montana that could make a lot more money back in "The World", but you couldn't drag me from Montana for anything. For me and my family we make a conscious decision to make that trade off. That's why when I hear a nonresident talk about how we as residents have it made with cheap license costs, I think they would have a different opinion if they took into account what many of us sacrifice to live where we do.

Just saw a thing on the news that Billings is one of the best towns in the US to get a job. The jobless rate is around 3%. I think that has a lot to do with the oil patch. Good luck on your search. I agree that the wages are lower than other places in the country but that's the price of our way of life. And I believe it is well worth it.
Dan

Just saw a thing on the news that Billings is one of the best towns in the US to get a job. The jobless rate is around 3%. I think that has a lot to do with the oil patch. Good luck on your search. I agree that the wages are lower than other places in the country but that's the price of our way of life. And I believe it is well worth it.
Dan

As for the oil patch, the last machine shop I worked in specialized in oilfield work. 95% of what we did was oilfield related. I cut the threads on hundreds of thousands of drill collars, drill pipe, and subs. If theres oilfield stuff there, Im excited!!!

SRA61, I understand what your talking about when you were talking about making sacrifices. Im willing to give up all the heat, humidity, chiggers, and snakes!!! Im also willing to give up all the bad attitudes, nasty streets, trash, and did I mention the heat? A couple years ago it was 115 degrees here. I looked on the weather app on my phone, it was 106 in Death Valley!!!!! Im willing to sacrifice that!!!!

A couple years ago it was 115 degrees here. I looked on the weather app on my phone, it was 106 in Death Valley!!!!! Im willing to sacrifice that!!!!

This was in billings, and not the hottest it got that day either-

image_zps4c13d5c5.jpg

Where are you moving from?

Whats the word Huntlife? You moving to Billings or what?
Yeah, it gets hot here. It gets cold her... but its still MT... which is good.

If theres oilfield stuff there, Im excited!!!

Then you should be excited...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can tell you one thing. There are a lot of us here in Montana that could make a lot more money back in "The World", but you couldn't drag me from Montana for anything. For me and my family we make a conscious decision to make that trade off. That's why when I hear a nonresident talk about how we as residents have it made with cheap license costs, I think they would have a different opinion if they took into account what many of us sacrifice to live where we do.

This couldn't be more spot on. I wouldn't change a single word.

Whats the word Huntlife? You moving to Billings or what?
Yeah, it gets hot here. It gets cold her... but its still MT... which is good.

Then you should be excited...

Well, i AM moving to montana. Right now it kinda looks like its a 50/50 chance between Billings and Helena. My last day of work here is Feb 21. Theres a taxidermy convention here the last three days of february that I want to go to. After that, Im headed north!!!!

This was in billings, and not the hottest it got that day either-

image_zps4c13d5c5.jpg

Where are you moving from?

YUK! I was hoping to get away from that. Oh well, for the hunting and scenery, Ill handle it. Im moving from Arkansas (also known as the arm pit of the world).

Take it from a lifelong MT res and a current Billings resident...Go to Helena if you can. If I could move to Helena from Billings I'd be there so fast...

I second the Helena recommendation. If I had a choice between Billings and Helena there wouldn't be a choice...it would be Helena! If you are an avid hunter and fisherman you will definitely want Helena over Billings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back