JM77 vs Natrona County...

BuzzH

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, that jm77 took the Natrona County Commission to task for their support of snake oil salesman Ken Ivory and the ALC.

I was sent this article by a few people today and IMO, Jeff hit a home run in calling out the commission for throwing $1k down a rat hole.

The Natrona County Commissioners were challenged earlier this month for donating $1,000 to a campaign calling for a massive transfer of federal lands to the states.

Local resident Jeff Muratore questioned why the commission had given money to the private, not-for-profit American Lands Council, run by Utah State Representative Ken Ivory.

“It rather upsets me that you are using our tax money to promote a representative from Utah and his quest to get all federal lands transferred to the state,” Muratore said to the commission at its regular meeting on June 16.

“Now we can have a discussion about the merits of state lands versus federal lands, and I would be more than willing to speak with any of you about this, but I just want to share with you my disappointment that the commission gave him the money, and you are now what is considered a Bronze Member of the American Lands Council. Congratulations,” Muratore remarked.

“I don’t want to see this happen again, as a voting member of the community, a sportsman, a recreationist, a father and grandfather,” Muratore continued. “I know what it is to deal with the federal government and the state government when it comes to land issues. The transfer of land from the federal government to the state, while it may be bountiful in money, is not bountiful for the people of the State of Wyoming.”

Well, obviously, you don’t seem to know some of the differences between state lands and BLM lands. Can I enlighten you?” Muratore replied. “On state lands, you’re not allowed to camp overnight. On state land, that’s cultivated you’re not allowed to enter that land. You can’t have a campfire on state lands. You can’t even take your barbecue grill out on Hat Six Road and have a picnic with your family on state lands.”

full story here:

http://casperjournal.com/business/a...e6c-8331-0dbfbc1659ce.html#.VZOTnEVTLPg.gmail

I saw that in the Casper paper. Thanks for posting and big thanks to Jeff for his professional education of the local politicians.

Thanks for sharing this Buzz, and my hats off to Jeff for standing up to defend the public lands. It's frightening that any of the commissioners could justify their actions.

Thanks Buzz & everyone for the comments.

It has become painfully real to me how many fellow sportsman and local & state elected officials don't have a clue on the difference between federal and state lands and how they are administered. If we don't get out there and educate these people I fear we may be in for a big surprise some day.

It's encouraging, though, to have guys like Randy, Buzz, Ben Lamb and others out there making a difference on an issue that could directly affect each and every one of us.

Proud to know you Jeff. Keep after them!

Every time I hear someone say "I can't make a difference as one person," I'm going to show them this article.

The bad guys win when we refuse to show up and be counted. Imagine if every county commission who donated to these snake oil salesmen had some one stand in front of them and call them on it.

Thanks for sharing this Buzz, and my hats off to Jeff for standing up to defend the public lands. It's frightening that any of the commissioners could justify their actions.

Commissioner Rob Hendry spoke up to defend the action taken, no big surprise there as Hendry is a public land rancher who has hundreds upon hundreds of acres of public land (BLM) locked-up and inaccessible to the general public. If the state gets control of those BLM lands they will be leased or sold to him. No conflict of interest there huh? Yep, old Rob Hendry is looking out for our interests alright.

Commissioner Rob Hendry spoke up to defend the action taken, no big surprise there as Hendry is a public land rancher who has hundreds upon hundreds of acres of public land (BLM) locked-up and inaccessible to the general public. If the state gets control of those BLM lands they will be leased or sold to him. No conflict of interest there huh? Yep, old Rob Hendry is looking out for our interests alright.

After I corrected Commissioner Keating on his obvious lack of knowledge between federal and state lands, Commissioner Hendry waited until my comments were finished and literally until I had reseated myself, before he spoke up. He did not want to give me the chance to debate his comments. The article was kind to him as he made some rather "out there" comments as to why he supported the land transfer idea.

I was a little upset at his tactic, so I called him the next morning and told him I didn't appreciate what he had done. He said he didn't want to prolong the conversation! I'll bet he didn't. He did assure me two Commissioner had told him they had reservations about any more contributions to ALC and that none would be made in the future without public comment.

As a nonresident who is actively involved in a couple of conservation nonprofits, I really appreciate your efforts. The time it takes for you to attend the meetings and the cost of the gas to get there is a substantial donation on your part. You guys should set up a method for some of us to donate to at least help offset your expenses! Maybe Randy should set up a lobbying unit that we can purchase in the OYOA store where the money goes to you to offset expenses. Hopefully he wouldn't goof up the order and send you a small t-shirt instead!

What is the best thing that a non resident can do to help in this land transfer debate. Should we be contacting our senators and congress members and letting them know that we don't want them to support any kind of federal land transfer bills that come across any committee floors?

Every member of the U.S. Senate and House, state Governors and legislatures, even county and local officials need to hear this is a bad idea. The train has left the station and it must be stopped. These lands belong to every American, regardless of their zip code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back