Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Jetboil

Ledanek

Someone gifted me Prodeal coupon for future purchase. Already eyeballing the MiniMo system.

Have any of you used MSR fuel with Jetboil?

What else would you add to the cart?

It'll be my very first stove system.

Someone gifted me Prodeal coupon for future purchase. Already eyeballing the MiniMo system.

jetboil will work with any isobutane fuel

Nearly all canister fuel is made in the same factory in Korea...they just slap a label on it. They do have different blends for colder weather and high elevation. I've used nearly all with equal performance.

I can't comment on that particular Jetboil but I can say multiple people, including myself, have had their push button igniter fail. Carry a lighter.

Every jetboil I've ever seen has had the ignitor fail, mine stopped working within a month of purchase. I always have a lighter or flint with tissue paper now.

Once hunting tahr in the middle of winter we couldn't get the fuel to light no matter what we did. Other than that it's never failed me.

Maybe I just got lucky but I've used the same jetboil for years for hunting, hiking, and boy scouts and the ignitor has always worked flawlessly. I do always have a lighter with me though, just in case.

Every jetboil I've ever seen has had the ignitor fail, mine stopped working within a month of purchase. I always have a lighter or flint with tissue paper now.

Once hunting tahr in the middle of winter we couldn't get the fuel to light no matter what we did. Other than that it's never failed me.

My igniter doesn't work either. I just use a match, lighter, or whatever. I do really like the product otherwise.

I personally like the MSR pocket rocket better as its smaller/less weight for a cooking system.
The fuels are mostly the same although there are a few that are way better for high altitudes/cold.
For general use get whatever.

Good advice here

And yes, below a certain temperature there is no saving these godforsaken canister fuels. If its cold cold, you need a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite.

Altitude typically helps improve stove performance. But the cold associated with altitude will typically offset any gains.

Beware of wind. Can greatly lower the efficiency of the heating process. Is best to create a windscreen out of rocks or items you have so the flame burns upwards and steady. The higher your altitude then the more challenges with getting things dialed in for heating with the jetboil. Practice before go on your first adventure.

Good advice here

And yes, below a certain temperature there is no saving these godforsaken canister fuels. If its cold cold, you need a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite.
Whisperlite’s are also great because of their fuel flexibility. Definitely the stove for someone planning on hunting internationally or doing fly-in hunts.

Beware of wind. Can greatly lower the efficiency of the heating process. Is best to create a windscreen out of rocks or items you have so the flame burns upwards and steady. The higher your altitude then the more challenges with getting things dialed in for heating with the jetboil. Practice before go on your first adventure.

More solid advice. A Jetboil is much more efficient than a Ti cup on a cheap stove (which is what I use)

Whisperlite’s are also great because of their fuel flexibility. Definitely the stove for someone planning on hunting internationally or doing fly-in hunts.

More solid advice. Dang...a bunch of stove EXPERTS on line tonight!

I haven't used my Whisperlite in a decade but my god is it a good stove...mine has the war wounds to prove it...one small spill in 10+ years and I nearly burned down the forests of SE Ohio and murdered my family. Stove still works tho

I use the flash and the igniter worked for maybe 3 nights. Since then I just use a bic mini to light it. I’ve never had an issue with MSR fuel in mine. My buddy and I did a backpack elk hunt at roughly 10k a couple weeks ago with temps down in the low teens at night and got 6 days out of a 113g can using it in the morning for coffee and again at night for some house, and didn’t even empty the can. Definitely a weight penalty compared to my crux stove, but worth it in my opinion.

Back